“Always great food and an interesting visit”

The Old Pottery Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 21 Restaurants in Bovey Tracey
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I must have been to this place a dozen times in the past few years taking various friends who come to stay with me here in sunny Devon. It's a very interesting museum devoted to marbles! But there is also a shop selling hand blown glass that you can see being made plus gardens to sit in and a general souvenir shop. But the real gem for me is the restaurant. Today I had the home made steak and mushroom pie with real mashed potatoes and garden peas with a small jug of gravy. The is not your usual pie - it's stuffed with whole chunks of steak. Possibly the best steak pie I have ever had! The venue is bright and clean and there is a daily special board. I hadn't been there in several months but I was recognised and served by the delightful Di who always seems to be there! There would be a desert menu but I'm always too full! I wish I was local! I will be back!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

A real wow and its free entry as well ,if you are a marble addict then its the place for you i was blown away by it all ,a good day out for the family as the place was very busy the restaurant is first class waitress services and you could eat of the floor the meals excellent and value for your money toddlers catered for very clean toilets ,parking can be a bit tight when busy .Glass blowing with a gallery to watch from and i could not resist purchasing some glass to take home there is out door seating for summer eating all in all a very good family venue , i intend to return and recommend it to every one well done

Andrea H, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Pottery Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to read that you had a great time visiting us. Parking can be tight at the front on a rainy day but we do have lots of space around the side and the back of the building. Do come back and see us again.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We live quite nearby, and really enjoy walking or cycling to the House of Marbles for a browse and a coffee or lunch.
The restaurant is part of a very interesting and individual attraction. The House of Marbles is essentially a shop selling a weird - but wonderful - selection of unusual toys and games, jewlellery, women's fashion, things for the home, and a fair bit else. There's an absolutely enormous - and completely captivating - marble run, plus glass blowing demos, and if it all becomes just too exhausting, the restaurant is perfect for a little respite and refreshment.
Although not particularly cheap, the food is excellent and the service is attentive and courteous. Altogether a delightful place to go; very highly recommended, certainly by us.

2  Thank catfordkid
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I really liked my visit here, it has a shop with lovely gifts, and also glass making, I also liked the old toys and pots, cafe looked expensive but didn't go in.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The House of Marbles has some really interesting marble runs to watch, a great shop, full of, well... marbles and lots of other interesting knick-knacks, and a fascinating, open glass-blowing workshop, which is open to the public and complete with raised viewing platform, so that everyone can get a great view.

If you're in Devon, particularly in the rain, then this is a great morning/afternoon out and they have an excellent restaurant, which adults/children of all ages will be delighted with (see my separate, detailed review on that).