“Amazing dinner”

The Riverford Field Kitchen
Price range: US$32 - US$38
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Seasonal organic dining. Nestled in the heart of Riverford’s Devon farm, we work with the freshest, most flavoursome organic ingredients, inspired every day by the bounty from the fields around. Grass-reared meat and sustainable fish are on the menu but seasonal organic veg is the star of every plate.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The wife arranged a 'surprise' birthday dinner for me here. I hadn't a clue (lie). Food was excellent. Lots of garlic. Will look forward to the next surprise.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We visited the field kitchen yesterday Easter Sunday with friends having previously several times and been delighted with all aspects. However, yesterday there were noticeable changes, first the greeting and service was tired and no noticeable leader. The starter of one plate of green salad for eight was inadequate and lacked imagination, the dressing lacked flavour. We had been there over 1.5 hours before the main course was served. When the roast potatoes arrived there was only one half bowl between eight people which was grossly inadequate, so the two people at the end of the table only had one small piece each. We asked the waitress for more,she replied she would ask the chef but never returned with an answer or more potatoes. Since our last visit I feel there has been a greater emphasis on cost cutting to the detriment of the diner. Finally, website clearly shows a lunch price of £22.50 but when the bill arrived we were charged £24.95 pp.
Hope you take comments in a positive way as this has always a brilliant experience and wouldn't want to see the standards dropped further.

2  Thank PlymouthCyclist
Jenny_Thompson, Manager at The Riverford Field Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

It was great to speak to you in person about this, thank you. There was clearly a blip with your experience on this particular day, which I am really sorry for. It’s certainly not typical of what we offer to guests visiting the Field Kitchen. I am delighted that you will be back and am confident your next review will have us back to our normal standards!

I would encourage anyone thinking about coming to read our other reviews before making a decision. Plus, my personal reassurances are:-

There is always a dedicated team leader on duty and they are there to look after you and will happily answer any questions or queries you have during your visit.

Our chefs really do take great pride in creating imaginative dishes with flavour, always served in generous, but not gluttonous portions.

Service is leisurely and to ensure we have time to welcome all our guests, show you to your seats and get you some drinks to enjoy we do ask you to arrive 30 minutes before service commences. So please do expect to spend around 2.5 hours with us.

Sometimes, for events such as Easter or Mother’s Day, we do charge slightly more but this should always be made clear at the point of booking.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Had lunch @Riverford kitchen with hubby and a friend, it was by far a great food experience. Everything tasted fresh and delicious, hearty food and a decent selection of wine. The menu included a surprisingly yummy salad as well ( never thought I'd use the word yummy about a salad, but it really was) . Altogether I wish I lived nearer to get there more often, is that good! I am planning to drive again from Hampshire those 3 h just for another event meal, this place now stays in my little foodie book right up there with the fanciest restaurants from Barcelona and Tuscany, only better 'cause is good English real food, that tastes as it should! Oh and puddings selection was sinful, to say the least.... Fantastic food @ a reasonable price in beautiful Devon. Go there with family and friends,ideally a party of 8, book ahead and enjoy the taste of food lovingly cooked, both beautifully simple & seriously good!

1  Thank Bessadina P
Jenny_Thompson, Manager at The Riverford Field Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Such a kind review, thank you.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I work for a company that is based in the adjoining village to the Riverford Field Kitchen and from a personal perspective have often thought of visiting to sample the food. As luck would have it, my MD kindly decided to arrange a company office visit to the restaurant yesterday and invited 10 of us out for lunch.
It was a great experience and the food was excellent! From the mixed salad and asparagus dishes for starters, to the roast chicken and brilliant variety of fresh veg served with the main course which included calabrese, new potatoes, pulses and squash and then onto the wide variety of desserts to choose from and of course the local Ashridge cider and Sharpham wine. The restaurant was very busy, most probably boosted by the school holidays, but the service was still good bearing in mind the volume of visitors.
For anyone who loves a great food experience, this has got to be a must for your SATNAV and taste buds-it could even encourage the kids to try something new!
Compliments to the chefs, staff and the Watson family for creating a great eating experience on our doorstep!

I am so pleased that your MD decided to bring you for lunch! Sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully we will be seeing more of you as you are so close by.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The restaurant has a relaxed style with everyone at the table sharing a set menu. The food is amazing! As a vegetarian I usually feel a second thought but not here! Possibly the best vegetarian food I have ever had! We are already planning a return visit.
However if you are hoping for a romantic meal think again as you are sitting with other people at the table. This isn't necessarily a bad thing just a different style.

Good advice! Our shared dining is fun, but perhaps not ideal for a first date!