“Very good example of a well run restaurant”

The Riverford Field Kitchen
Price range: US$30 - US$36
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Seasonal organic dining. Nestled in the heart of Riverford’s Devon farm, we work with the freshest, most flavoursome organic ingredients, inspired every day by the bounty from the fields around. Grass-reared meat and sustainable fish are on the menu but seasonal organic veg is the star of every plate.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Visited the Riverford Field Kitchen as a party of six. One of us had visited before and recommended it. Very pleased we took her advice as we had an excellent meal. The whole experience was stress free as it was a set meal for the whole sitting of approx 70 people. Food was plentiful, delicious, hot and plentiful served by efficient friendly staff. Even though it was a well oiled routine the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. I look forward to eating here again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Country style dinning. You all dine on a big country style table together. There is approx. 9 tables that seat 8 people all together in the restaurant. So basically if you are a couple you will be sitting with 6 other people. The food is given on big platters and so you share the food around to each other. I am not really one to want to sit with other people but the whole experience was a pleasurable one. However I did feel a bit uncomfortable to ask for any platter if any food left on it to be passed down to me. As most of the platters seemed to stay at one end of the table once passed around. I personally think all the platters should of at end gone into the middle of the table or even there should be platters to be put in middle of 4 people to share and the other end of table then to have platters to share with this way platters will stay in middle of that end of table for 4 to share. The food was just heavenly though so amazing and different. When we went the set food given was butternut squash with goats cheese. Was so fresh and different. The guinea fowl was so soft and flaky and the walnut pesto was pure nut heaven. I would deffiantely return and the price at the time I went was around £27 for a three course meal which to me is not bad at all consideriong what you get given and the whole freshness of the meal. The staff where also very friendy, welcoming and helpful. I have eaten in many celebrity chef restarauitns and I know this is not a celebrity chef restaurant but the food was way better than any celeb chef restaurant I have ever eaten in. I think Riverford deserves to be recognised and get a Michelin star and many other food awards. Thank you everyone at Riverford for making my experience in your restaurant amazing. I just wish I lived nearer otherwise I would for sure return week upon week.

2  Thank 4lemons
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Visited Riverford for my birthday. I have been meaning to visit for some considerable time and I was not disappointed. I am sure this is the best food I have had since moving to Devon 2 1/2 years ago. Only slight disappointment was only being able to have one dessert. I would have liked a little taster of a few of the choices - it was so hard to decide on one dessert only.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The wife arranged a 'surprise' birthday dinner for me here. I hadn't a clue (lie). Food was excellent. Lots of garlic. Will look forward to the next surprise.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We visited the field kitchen yesterday Easter Sunday with friends having previously several times and been delighted with all aspects. However, yesterday there were noticeable changes, first the greeting and service was tired and no noticeable leader. The starter of one plate of green salad for eight was inadequate and lacked imagination, the dressing lacked flavour. We had been there over 1.5 hours before the main course was served. When the roast potatoes arrived there was only one half bowl between eight people which was grossly inadequate, so the two people at the end of the table only had one small piece each. We asked the waitress for more,she replied she would ask the chef but never returned with an answer or more potatoes. Since our last visit I feel there has been a greater emphasis on cost cutting to the detriment of the diner. Finally, website clearly shows a lunch price of £22.50 but when the bill arrived we were charged £24.95 pp.
Hope you take comments in a positive way as this has always a brilliant experience and wouldn't want to see the standards dropped further.

2  Thank PlymouthCyclist
Jenny_Thompson, Manager at The Riverford Field Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

It was great to speak to you in person about this, thank you. There was clearly a blip with your experience on this particular day, which I am really sorry for. It’s certainly not typical of what we offer to guests visiting the Field Kitchen. I am delighted that you will be back and am confident your next review will have us back to our normal standards!

I would encourage anyone thinking about coming to read our other reviews before making a decision. Plus, my personal reassurances are:-

There is always a dedicated team leader on duty and they are there to look after you and will happily answer any questions or queries you have during your visit.

Our chefs really do take great pride in creating imaginative dishes with flavour, always served in generous, but not gluttonous portions.

Service is leisurely and to ensure we have time to welcome all our guests, show you to your seats and get you some drinks to enjoy we do ask you to arrive 30 minutes before service commences. So please do expect to spend around 2.5 hours with us.

Sometimes, for events such as Easter or Mother’s Day, we do charge slightly more but this should always be made clear at the point of booking.