“Hidden Jewel”
Review of Abbey Inn

Abbey Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Buckfastleigh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The trip was to visit Dartmoor Zoo as depicted in the film "We bought a Zoo". We looked for somewhere near and booked the Abbey Inn. From the minute we pulled into the car park we knew we had made a good choice. Right on the river Dart away from the traffic, this tranquil spot was magical. The staff were welcoming and accommodating. The room(Dart) overlooked the river with a beautiful four poster bed with ensuite. It was sparkling clean with tea/coffee facilities and biscuits. The complimentary shower, shampoo and conditioner was added to with lovely hand cream. The evening meal of freshly caught local fish was delicious with a nice choice of starters and mouthwatering desserts. The hotel bar was friendly and frequented with locals, which is always a good sign. After a good nights sleep we were treated to a full English, perfectly cooked and requests accepted readily. The cost of our stay was very reasonable and the location to the Zoo and Buckfast Abbey was ideal.The new owners were personable and obviously hard working. Certainly would visit again.

Room Tip: We did not see the other rooms but the 'Dart' room was perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My sister and I spent a very pleasant time sipping rose wine at this beautiful inn situated in a
lovely location by the river. The weather in the late afternoon was sunny and warm.

The Inn is within walking distance from Buckfast Abbey.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a weekend as we were attending a wedding nearby. We were welcomed on arrival, and they had even kept the bar open late for us as we arrived late on. The new owners had taken over only a week previously so the bar had not been changed yet but I believe it has now been tidied up. Even so it was a charming enough country pub. Upstairs our room had a four poster bed and lovely view over the river. We also had our own key for a side door so that we could come in and out as we pleased, arriving late without disturbing our hosts, something that can often put me off staying in guest houses. Breakfast was a hearty affair. Can't complain at all really. Great location, nice clean rooms, friendly staff, good value for money. My only complaint was that you can't buy Buckfast tonic wine at the bar. Though on second thoughts maybe that's a good thing!

Room Tip: Get the room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed one night at the Abbey Inn whilst on business in the area. As a woman travelling alone I value a warm welcome, friendly but not overpowering service, good value and flavourful food in an environment where I feel comfortable eating on my own, and a nice glass of red wine! I got all of these at the Abbey Inn, plus a pleasant room with a view of the River Dart gurgling past the window. The new owners were anxious for feedback as I was leaving, as they want to make improvements to ensure they provide what the customer is looking for. When I'm next in the area I will definitely stay here again, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the results of their efforts.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2013

New owners trying hard to pick up a rather run-dwon business. They need to encourage good staff to take up positions to support the already good staff from the previous owners. Need to have email communication.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We booked a room and was told, by the new owners, that we could stay as long as we understood that there was some cosmetic work still to be carried out. We didn't mind as we were happy to of found accommodation last minute on a bank holiday (and half term). We were pretty desperate and relieved that they were also dog friendly.

12 hours later...upon waking up this morning we have since been told the room is uninhabitable and that we can no longer stay. I appreciate if this is the case but I would have much preferred they told us the truth the night before. I am now left with trying to sort out accommodation with just a couple of hours spare - had I known the room was unavailable I could have sorted this out last night and any potential rooms at other establishments may now be taken due to the delay in us booking a room.

Any hotel/restaurant should always be honest in that situation as even though i'm sure they thought they were being helpful it's actually just created a much more stressful situation for us.

I wish the new owners luck with this establishment but would recommend they to go on a hospitality course to understand how to deal better with potential negative situations.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had six days to spend before attending a family golden wedding near Blanford so we decided on a driving tour of south-western England heading towards Plymouth. On the third day we saw a sign to Buckfastleigh.which is on the south-east edge of Dartmoor. I had recollections of reading about the railway through the town some 50 years ago. We liked the area and decided to spend a night there. We were lucky to drive by the inn as we went to look at the abbey and Ashburton. Fortunately there was a vacancy and after checking on what local attractions were nearby we decided to stay two nights. Everything about the inn was great. There had been heavy rain and the river was flooding past the property. The owners were very pleasant and the service was outstanding. There is a cosy, comfortable bar with additional seating outside overlooking the river. The accommodation was good and the catering was exemplary and we enjoyed all the food we ate. I recommend the inn as a destination in itself as well as a base for exploring the attractions in the area including the heritage railway to Totnes and even a drive to Dartmouth. Of course Dartmoor is just to the north of there if rambling is what you want.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckfastleigh
Two Bridges Hotel
#8 of 10 in Buckfastleigh
Mitchelcroft B&B
Mitchelcroft B&B
#1 of 10 in Buckfastleigh

Been to Abbey Inn? Share your experiences!