“Scenic and friendly”
Review of Abbey Inn

Abbey Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Buckfastleigh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Found the place on the recommendation of a local resident, whilst visiting Buckfastleigh. The pub is tucked away along the river. It must be lovely on a warm sunny evening! We had a good meal - standard pub food - with some tempting specials. The staff was very welcoming and the waitress looking after us was very good with my daughter. Even the customers made us feel comfortable by trying to strike a conversation with my French parents!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed here after a family wedding .We were made to feel welcome as soon as we walked through the door. We had also booked in for the Sunday Carvery which was good.The staff were good and so was the food.The room was overlooking the river and you can eat outside if you wish.The room was clean, and comfortable. The Tv worked and was 100%.As there wasnt a hair drier we asked for one. It was provided straight away.No Problem. I will stay again when next in the locality.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The trip was to visit Dartmoor Zoo as depicted in the film "We bought a Zoo". We looked for somewhere near and booked the Abbey Inn. From the minute we pulled into the car park we knew we had made a good choice. Right on the river Dart away from the traffic, this tranquil spot was magical. The staff were welcoming and accommodating. The room(Dart) overlooked the river with a beautiful four poster bed with ensuite. It was sparkling clean with tea/coffee facilities and biscuits. The complimentary shower, shampoo and conditioner was added to with lovely hand cream. The evening meal of freshly caught local fish was delicious with a nice choice of starters and mouthwatering desserts. The hotel bar was friendly and frequented with locals, which is always a good sign. After a good nights sleep we were treated to a full English, perfectly cooked and requests accepted readily. The cost of our stay was very reasonable and the location to the Zoo and Buckfast Abbey was ideal.The new owners were personable and obviously hard working. Certainly would visit again.

Room Tip: We did not see the other rooms but the 'Dart' room was perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My sister and I spent a very pleasant time sipping rose wine at this beautiful inn situated in a
lovely location by the river. The weather in the late afternoon was sunny and warm.

The Inn is within walking distance from Buckfast Abbey.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a weekend as we were attending a wedding nearby. We were welcomed on arrival, and they had even kept the bar open late for us as we arrived late on. The new owners had taken over only a week previously so the bar had not been changed yet but I believe it has now been tidied up. Even so it was a charming enough country pub. Upstairs our room had a four poster bed and lovely view over the river. We also had our own key for a side door so that we could come in and out as we pleased, arriving late without disturbing our hosts, something that can often put me off staying in guest houses. Breakfast was a hearty affair. Can't complain at all really. Great location, nice clean rooms, friendly staff, good value for money. My only complaint was that you can't buy Buckfast tonic wine at the bar. Though on second thoughts maybe that's a good thing!

Room Tip: Get the room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed one night at the Abbey Inn whilst on business in the area. As a woman travelling alone I value a warm welcome, friendly but not overpowering service, good value and flavourful food in an environment where I feel comfortable eating on my own, and a nice glass of red wine! I got all of these at the Abbey Inn, plus a pleasant room with a view of the River Dart gurgling past the window. The new owners were anxious for feedback as I was leaving, as they want to make improvements to ensure they provide what the customer is looking for. When I'm next in the area I will definitely stay here again, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the results of their efforts.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2013

New owners trying hard to pick up a rather run-dwon business. They need to encourage good staff to take up positions to support the already good staff from the previous owners. Need to have email communication.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckfastleigh
The Dartmoor Lodge
#4 of 10 in Buckfastleigh
Furzeleigh Mill
Furzeleigh Mill
#8 of 10 in Buckfastleigh

Been to Abbey Inn? Share your experiences!