“Good position”
Review of The Abbey Inn

The Abbey Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: an unexpected find with good food. Has accomodation and is within a few hundred yards of Buckfast Abbey, lying alongside the river.
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Next to the river Dart great in the summer, they offer good food and B&B

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Idylic setting for the Abbey Inn, next to the fast flowing Dart and a short walk from Buckfast Abbey and the centre of Buckfast town. Easy to find as you leave Buckfast with ample parking in the grounds. Good quality food at reasonable prices and friendly service. The decor is slightly dated and a bit tired, but if you don't mind the country feel you won't notice. We arrived fairly late and so the lack of atmosphere may be becuase not many people were eating at that time.
Would I go back? Probably...but not before I'd visited most other places in the area first.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have just stayed at the Abbey Inn for a couple of nights and really enjoyed the food and the beer, served either in the cosy bar or the atmospheric, panelled dining room with views over the River Dart. The evening menu is varied and reasonably priced with a mixture of traditional favourites, (I had a tasty beef and stilton pie), and more adventurous dishes, (my wife had a delicious stuffed chicken breast). There's a good selection of starters and desserts and the St Austell beers are extremely well kept (we found the Abbey Inn from the CAMRA Good Beer Guide). On both nights the service was friendly and efficient and Andy the landlord was an exemplary host. We will certainly be back!

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have had two lovely meals at this restaurant before. We've just returned home after having had a dreadful meal. Only two tables were waiting for food when we arrived and ordered. I ordered the steak and asked for a Diane sauce (which Andy made for me previously). The waitress came back and said it wasn't possible tonight. I asked why, and jokingly said were they too busy? Yes, she said. I ordered a peppercorn sauce and asked for a bit of cream to be put in it. My partner wanted the beef and stilton pie, but before ordering he asked if the beef was lean. She seemed taken aback that he should ask such a question. "Of course it is" she said.
When the meal arrived my steak had loads of gristly fat on it, the chips were overcooked and soggy, a very small bit of salad was stuffed into a small ramekin, and a garnish of grilled tomatoes and three tiny mushrooms in garlic (which unfortunately I don't like and it tainted the chips). The steak was a poor piece of meat, virtually inedible because of the gristle. I had to leave half on the plate, chewed. The peppercorn sauce was cold because it had just had some cold cream poured into it, disgusting. I had this same meal a month or so ago and it was delicious. The crust of my Partners beef and stilton was white and unbrowned, although cooked The meat inside was just six bits of curly, sliced gristly meat three pieces of which he couldn't eat and left chewed on the plate. The stilton gravy in the pie was thin but very tasty. The veg was very nice and the mash, although meagre, was nice. When
the waitress came to take our plates, I told her how dreadful the meal was. She said she was sorry and left. After asking twice for the bill she returned but didn't say anything. I asked if she had told the kitchen how dreadful the meals had been. She said yes and that they apologised. "Is that it?" I said. I knew Andy, the owner, was in the kitchen and I said "So no-one is going to come out and speak to us?" "No" she said "They are too busy" I said "That's a nice way to treat regular customers" but she never answered and walked away. We just left. In the past we have recommended The Abbey to our friends and neighbours, which, after tonight, we will unrecommend!

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We visited looking for a delicious Carvery and after reading the reviews, expected something very special. Unfortunately, this was not the case. There is clearly a great deal of effort that goes into the planning and preparation of the food but we found the meat to be tough (overlooked) and the vegetables to be satisfactory. The meat was that tough, my husband left a large amount of the lamb as it was so chewy. The chef made a big effort to speak but in doing this, we both had to ask for the Yorkshire puddings instead of being offered.
The staff seemed very helpful, efficient without being overwhelming but I don't think we would return.