“Cannot fault it!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Buckfastleigh B&B and Inns
Woking, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault it!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed here recently for a week whilst on a cookery Course at Ashburton Cookery School. Having stayed at the school accommodation last time, I thought I would try something different.

Debbie and Michael couldn’t do enough for me. When I arrived, I was offered tea an cake – just what I needed after a long drive. I don’t like country lanes, so they were great at putting me at ease. Debbie suggested some walks I could try and even offered to take me out on one. They told me about the local pub and how to get there – offering me a torch to help in the darkness. Unfortunately, as I went in winter, it was dark when I arrived home after my course. Next time I would go in summer and really take in the local environment more.

They were really chatty, asking how my day went etc – and I think this makes it much more personal. Having said that they were no way invasive and so I was more than happy to chat with them.

In terms of the accommodation, the house was a little hard to find first time around, but the instructions given were really helpful so I managed.

The house itself is lovely. Really well presented, lovely small and cosy lounge with fire for guests, great dining room where I sat a few evenings. In the summer months, the view would be something to savour.

The bedroom was lovely too and a really good size. A very comfy bed, a great shower, WIFI and a balcony overlooking Dartmoor.

There is also a small library of books to borrow and a fridge for guests in the dining room– handy if you want to chill a beer for when you get home!

I would usually opt in to stay in hotels rather than B&Bs, but I must admit my experience here has changed my mind-set completely. The price was much better than a hotel and I believe it has more to offer. I had a lovely stay and cannot wait to book and return! I would thoroughly recommend Mitchelcroft!

Room Tip: Don't arrive in the dark - it will be very tricky to find!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you Amy and hope you come back to see us again.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a wonderful stay this weekend in Debbie and Michael's beautiful home. We can't fault anything, from the warm welcome with tea and cake on arrival to the amazing breakfast views to the very comfortable bed. Exceptional bathroom. Lovely guest lounge with a roaring fire which we had all to ourselves. We stayed in the Pond room and hope to return in the summer to enjoy the private balcony area. We will definitely be recommending this place to friends.

Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for your review Wendy and all the help and coverage you have given to Mitchelcroft over the last few months. Look forward to seeing you both again in the Autumn.x
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Mitchelcroft is an exceptional B&B. After a long winter cycle ride in the rurality of Dartmoor it was a real treat to experience the warmth of Debbie and Michael's welcome, a steaming pot of tea and homemade cake, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in (in The Garden Room). The house is beautiful, the views from the dining room are first-class and the excellent breakfast was substantial enough to fuel another day of cycling! Michael locked my bike away securely overnight and had it ready for me the next morning, so it's a very cycle-friendly place. I can't wait to return and ride the High Moor Link that goes right past Mitchelcroft's front door.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Debbie and Michael are thoroughly wonderful hosts and with such ease made us feel completely welcome in their beautiful home. Everywhere you look is a feast for the eyes whether indoors or out and the ambiance is homely and comforting. We both felt totally looked after from tea and cake on arrival, an unexpected upgrade, to a log fire waiting for us to cosy up in front of. I cannot thank Debbie and Michael enough for providing such a wonderfully relaxing and hugely enjoyable break for us to recharge our batteries.

Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and sorry it has taken a while to respond.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Only stayed for one night but Debbie and Michael made us so welcome (felt like we had been friends for years!), down to tea and scones on arrival in a very comfortable sofa! They even loaned a torch for the dark walk down to the local pub, which is by the way also highly recommended (but don't eat for 24 hours before!) The room was spotless, breakfast excellent and the selection of beverages the best we've ever experienced. We will certainly return, IF they aren't already fully booked! David and Sue.

Stayed November 2013
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you David and we will look forward to seeing you both again.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

What a gem in the heart of Dartmoor! A warm welcome from Debbie the hostess, tea and cakes and your on your own. A beautiful setting and a very well appointed suite overlooking a garden pond. The room and en suite would show up even the 'One and Only' in Cape Town.
A fantastic nights sleep followed by a superb breakfast over looking a magnificent Dartmoor landscape. Do not go anywhere else, this venue is priceless and for just £90 for two people!!

Room Tip: Pond room fabulous
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for those lovely words and I went on line to look at the place in Cape Town.....Wow.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

By far the best place we have stayed while we are on weekends away in England and the best value one. We actually thought it was very cheap compared to other places we have stayed in that region and others on England! I don't think I can think of anything that can be improved as everything was amazing. We stayed there for 2nights. The house is my dream house especially the dining room, kitchen and the garden! It is more like a small park than a garden. We were very lucky with the weather so we ended up enjoying the outside of this magnificent B and B. Debbie is so friendly and I felt like I knew her. She is very approachable and open and she makes you feel like home. She is also an amazing cook. We only met Michael briefly as he was away but we would definitely go back and make sure we can spend time with them. I can imagine they have lots of stories to tell and lots of great food to cook! Oh and the breakfast in the morning was fantastic! I can imagine myself staying there for at least a week and not getting bored! Total tranquility and peace. We are planning to go back but I suspect this place will be getting more popular by the day. So visit while it is still a hidden gem.

Room Tip: There were only two rooms when we stayed and they we both lovely. There is so much space in the hous...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you Vassia, it was great to have you stay with us, and now we have three rooms and if you call us we will always try and make space for you both again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckfastleigh
The Dartmoor Lodge
#1 of 5 in Tavistock
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent

Been to Mitchelcroft B&B? Share your experiences!