“A Hotel to return to .. again .. and again .. and again!”
Review of Mill End Hotel

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A Hotel to return to .. again .. and again .. and again!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have just spent two super nights at Mill End as part of a group of car enthusiasts. The group organiser chose the hotel for us .... and couldn't have done better! A beautiful hotel in a lovely situation, we found the room delightful, the food delicious, the welcome warm and the staff friendly, helpful and efficient. We simply can't wait for an excuse to return!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RanneyP
MilEndHotel, Managing Director at Mill End Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We really enjoyed looking after you and your fellow travellers, and we were delighted to hear that you had such a good time here.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - you'll be very welcome!

Mill End Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a great place for dogs, very good walks by the river, nice comfortable room... my owner enjoyed it to! Ted the labradore.
This was a really good break, I did not lift a finger, nice tea on the lawn ,very good evening meals, no difficulty with my none spicy diet, oh and a very nice lunch before I left. I did very little driving once I arrived as there were good walks on the door step. I thought the road might be intrusive as I had a front room but it wasn't. Very peaceful spots to sit by the river in the garden. the cooked breakfast was huge, but I liked the ham and eggs best, I even got a double yolker, plenty of choice.Had the Trio of Chocolate 3 night running it was so nice!
Will try to get a down stairs room with its own patio when I go again, hopefully in September
Staff all very pleasant and helpful, but not over bearing.

Room Tip: Down stairs rooms with doors to the garden are best for dogs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the trouble to provide your kind feedback. We were delighted that you had such a lovely, relaxing time with us here at Mill End - it was our pleasure to look after you.

Our chefs were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals with us. The Trio of Chocolate is one of our favourites too!

Please do come back for another visit soon. You'll be very welcome!

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I picked this hotel as I needed to be centred around Chagford and they have plenty of free parking unlike the rest of the town! I was traveling alone so I also wanted a nice reliable looking place to stay. It is easy to find as it is just set back form the "main" road. This is in fact a fairly narrow but two-way road but compared to the rest of the roads in the area it is huge!! The hotel is nestled in the hills with sheep keeping a close eye on you as you enter and leave. The garden is well laid out and tucked in hedges on two sides and over looking the hotel on the others.
I was given a warm and efficient welcome on my arrival and shown to my room which was right up the top of the hotel with a view over the gardens.
The only meal I had at the hotel was breakfast for which I had the veggi option. The mushroom was a lovely well cooked field mushroom and rounded off a lovely plate of goodies.
Unfortunately, the second night of my stay clashed with a wedding (but I had been informed by the hotel by email previously) so much of the hotel was geared up to that and their guests. I encountered a bit of disturbing noise due to merry guests wishing the World Cup team on their way but it all ended at 11pm so I was able to sleep. If I had to be picky, I would have loved a chair with a back rather than a stool in my room, the pillows were rather more stiff than I am used to (hubby would have loved them) and the shower spewed water mostly out of a split on one side of the ceiling rose but everything else was very good quality, clean and fresh.
I would be more than happy to return, hopefully with hubby next time so I can show him some of the wonderful sights in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Calcitestar
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us - and that you enjoyed breakfast (always a very civilised affair here at Mill End!).

It was particularly pleasing to note that you found the welcome to be both warm and efficient - precisely the balance we aim to create.

You mentioned that you'd prefer a high-backed chair in your room next time. Just to let you know, all of our rooms are individually designed, and some do indeed have high-backed chairs. Please do let us know your wishes when you call to book next time, and we will be delighted to oblige.

We look forward to seeing you at Mill End again soon (with hubby!) - you'll be very welcome!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and our dog joined me at Mill End after I had a busy week working in Exeter. We had a family crisis which almost made me cancel the trip to return home. But the hotel staff were terrifically helpful and understanding and I was able to relax and enjoy the stay. We had chosen the room Erme from their website. This has its our own west facing terrace where it was a joy to sit and read during the day, and to share pre-dinner drinks. On the few occasions it rained, the large windows gave us a lovely view of the garden and field beyond, so one didn't feel too separate from the greenery outside. And the French doors meant we could let our dog out without going through the hotel. Fortunately it wasn't muddy and we didn't have to use the boot room. But this is an excellent way of keeping the hotel's dog friendly policy from spoiling the hotel for other guests who, I am sure, were happily unaware of their fellow canine guests. The restaurant is elegant and the food, both at dinner and breakfast, is delicious and well served. There are two beautiful and easy walks from the hotel along the river, and there is a leaflet describing them in the room. I did these with the dog while my husband did 12 miles over Dartmoor. Our one slight problem was with the shower, which a couple of times initially didn't work. But I reported this and am sure it will be fixed. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you have a dog ask for one of the ground floor rooms which open on to the garden. If you want a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
On behalf of the whole team here at Mill End, thank you for your kind comments. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay - it was our pleasure to look after you.

We were very pleased that you were able to enjoy some well-deserved rest and relaxation, and that you were able to enjoy the delights of one of our ground-floor rooms with direct access to the gardens (looking particularly lovely at this time year!).

Thank you for mentioning that your shower was a little troublesome - please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. We have had this rectified since your stay.

We look forward to seeing you at Mill End again soon - you'll be very welcome!

Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a fantastic find. Arrived early afternoon to be immediately tempted to cream teas on the lawn. Scrumptious scones! Fantastic walks straight from the hotel to Castle Drogo and its grounds, especially the river walk. Hotel beautifully appointed, and the food was superb. Easy reach of Exeter and the coast and a quiet location. Dogs made welcome too - an excellent touch having a dog towel supply for after long walks, and paddling in the river. Really friendly staff were the icing on the cake. We will go back without doubt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
On behalf of everyone here at Mill End, thank you for your kind comments.

We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to take advantage of some of the lovely walks right on our doorstep. We were also pleased that you were able to fit in some of our delicious home-made Devon scones!

Do visit us again soon - you'll be very welcome!

Bournemouth
Reviewed 20 May 2014

we had a peaceful short stay here in February. The room was comfortable, although the basin tap had a tendency to spurt water everywhere! we had lovely views out over the garden, lovely to wake up to rabbits outside the bedroom window.
The breakfast was fantastic, lots of choice and really tasty.
I was disappointed that the menu or both nights of our stay was the same. There is not a good choice of vegetarian food.
The staff were all very nice.
I'd go back, but next time probably eat my evening meal at one of the local pubs.

Room Tip: We had a look in the suite room on the first floor, thought that looked nice. If you're taking...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We were delighted that you enjoyed your peaceful break with us here at Mill End - it was our pleasure to look after you.

I was sorry that you felt that the vegetarian selection was a little restrictive - we will certainly take this feedback on board. In addition to the vegetarian choices on the menu, our chefs are always happy to prepare any special dishes you may like. When you next book, please let us know your dietary requirements and any particular wishes, and we would be delighted to oblige.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mill End in the future - you'll be very welcome!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a really nice friendly hotel with excellent food and kind and efficient staff. We chose a garden room so we could easily let the dog out without having to traipse through the hotel. As a bonus the room had its own landscaped patio for sitting out and enjoying the view. Good hotel facilities include the boot room for changing shoes and towelling down muddy dogs (towels provided!) and nice sitting areas for pre-meal drinks, sandwiches and coffee. We had dinner in the restaurant twice and it was excellent on both occasions. We took long walks from the hotel grounds (just across the bridge) towards Chagford or to Castle Drogo, All-in-all I would highly recommend the Mill End for dog owners and non-dog owners alike. We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: If you want direct access to the garden, then go for one of the ground floor rooms. But our friends...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
Gidleigh Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Moretonhampstead
The Dartmoor Lodge
The Dartmoor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Ashburton

Been to Mill End Hotel? Share your experiences!