“Once in a lifetime.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“Once in a lifetime.”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My stay was luxurious and we were treated like royalty. The room service was excellent and we enjoyed the complimentary Madeira wine in the large tub.The views from the room was spectacular.
The staff were friendly and it generally felt quite relaxed. I found it a bit difficult to understand some of the accents when the staff were explaining the food that was on my plate, but the food and service were 5*. The food was beautiful and was a taste sensation. We felt like we had a good choice and the amounts were substantial.
My girlfriend overheard one of the guests sneering at us because we weren't having wine with our meal, he said that we must be poor! It was a delight when we went to our room, and he noticed this as he was about to get in his car to drive back to Exeter. This was a genuine luxury break for us, one that I will always remember, if you can treat yourself,I'd highly recommend a stay here (especially if you love your food!)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaseK_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
London
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I don't think you will find better service anywhere in the UK. This wonderful hotel is everything other reviewers have said, in a low key, private setting. But aside from the fabulous food and fairytale location, it's main asset is the fabulous staff. My husband was taken unexpectedly ill during our time here, and not only did the staff arrange for an emergency doctor, but they were genuinely concerned as to his wellbeing. Everyone seemed to know, yet everyone was discreet enough to only intrude when we needed help. He recovered and we completed a fantastic stay with the wonderful seasonal menu (our tasting menu having been rudely interrupted the night before). To cap it all, the tasting menu course and drinks which we had consumed before he was taken ill were discreetly omitted from our final bill.
I must say I am very spoiled (and very picky about service!) and have been to some of the best hotels in the world, and the service we received during our stay in Gidleigh Park is amongst the best I have come across. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough: it is well worth your precious holiday time.

Room Tip: The hot-tub room is a must book for couples....
1 Thank FelicityTaylor
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My partner and I came here to celebrate both our engagement and my birthday for lunch. We were very much looking forward to dining here and had high hopes. We weren't disappointed! The service was fantastic, friendly and efficient. The staff were very welcoming and knowledgeable. Even the manager came over to say hello. Our meal was just AMAZING! Every course was mouth wateringly delicious both to look at and taste. One of the best meals we've had. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, the surroundings, comfort and service. We could not fault a thing and cannot wait to go back - next time for dinner and stay over! A wonderful added treat was 'happy birthday' in my petit fours! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly W
east sussex uk
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Well another visit to this perfect spot, quite mild February weather allowed us briefly to have the luxury of a glass of champagne taken outside with that view of the utterly immaculate gardens , the tumbling stream , the vegetable garden the fields in the distance .
I really feel that these last few reviews on this site say it all -food perfect-but in a good way - service-staff appeared to anticipate our every need, doors were opened, our favourite table
Reserved for us not one false note , Damian from Biarritz ensures that we guests are unaware of the work that goes on under the surface to present such a pleasant aspect to all visitors.
We had just come from chewton glen and crucially the food is so much better here and as soon as we arrived we really felt "at home" so a wonderful couple of days.
They exceed your expectations here.
We have had the hayter room in the loft which is spacious and quiet for our last few stays for families with kids it does have a separate extra bedroom with two singles.
Unusually for star chefs Michael caines their wonderful chef was in evidence on our visit.
Really as an escape for a few days I can't think of a nicer place.

Room Tip: Hayter has two bedrooms
Woolacombe Devon
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had decided to go to Gidleigh Park for lunch only after Alex Polizzi saying how fab it was. Well............before we got to the door it was opened for us and from then on courtesy, attention and extremely pleasant staff made this an experience that will have to be repeated when we have saved up enough again!! The Hotel is in amazing grounds, the views are spectacular and I dont know if I can find the words to describe the michelin star food or the wine we were recommended, but it was the best Sancerre I have ever had and I didnt know that food could taste like that!!! Well done to ever single person there, you deserve every award you have and some that havent been invented!!!... When something is as expensive as Gidleigh is you do expect high standards, but Gidleigh doesn't disapoint! Thank you all for a very special memory.

1 Thank therocks2008
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

from the moment you drive up the narrow drive, you get a glimpse of the magnificent Tudor /Edwardian building which holds a truly amazing experience. The staff are impeccably trained being discreet and efficient whilst being warm,charming and helpful.All dietary needs are catered for without compromise and with minimum fuss.The dishes are presented with a brief description by the staff which leaves you wanting to taste each individual component to see how it compliments the dish as a whole. It was truly an assault on your taste sensation as well as the eyes. he chefs are extremely talented and must be commended.All the homeward journey we kept thinking of the new taste experience to talk about - and it was well worth the 240 mile round trip.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
devon
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As a treat I took some of my staff for a lunch at the end of January and as we are in the catering industry as well, albeit a much smaller operation, I wanted to open their minds as to what can be achievable. It was a wonderful day and gave us all inspiration. From the beginning to the end we were looked after by great staff, some stupendous food, expensive you might think, but this is a labour of love and the passion flows through and by the time you pay you understand how much work is put in to achieve these results.
I was very cheeky and asked if we could see the cellar, I am sure they don't want to be invaded with guests asking for a tour all the time, but the gentleman was very obliging, and to top it all Mr.Caines gave us a quick insight into his kitchen. Thankyou it was much appreciated , but unfortunately my staff now think we need a million other things in our kitchen!!Go to Gidleigh Park and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
Bovey Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chagford
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#6 of 88 in Torquay

Been to Gidleigh Park Hotel? Share your experiences!