“Fantastic afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Dartmeet
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I took my mother in law to The Badgers Holt for afternoon tea as it was her 80th birthday and it was fantastic, i couldnt fault a things, staff were lovely and the owner Gill was so lovely and couldnt of made us feel more welcome. I would recommend afternoon tea here any day its just so lovely and really made my mother in laws birthday special for her.

1  Thank Caroline C

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I came across Badgers Holt at around lunch time on a trip through Dartmoor on the 4th August, I have never been before. I found the choice of meals available quite staggering, I had the cottage pie and my wife had a small roast turkey dinner, the size of the portions was very good for the price with plenty of vegetables, potatoes, carrots, peas and broccoli. We were then tempted with desert and went for the toffee apple crumble, mine with the clotted cream and my wife had ice cream, again the portions were very sizeable and very enjoyable. From order time to on the table was acceptable and the staff were very friendly and courteous. We were one of the first to order a midday meal that day and it did get rather busy later with the staff rushing around by the time we left. There are cats roaming in the restaurant area but we did not have a problem with this.
As for the building, the inside has a charm about it although the toilets a little outdated and could do with modernising. There is a gift shop in the same building selling all the usual things, this was unmanned at the time of my visit, purchases had to be made at the bar/food ordering area.
The outside needs a little tidying up and could do with a coat of paint, the fact that there are animals in pens etc added to the experience. I am very surprised as to some of the comments I have read about this place, my visit was a very pleasant experience, I will certainly return.

1  Thank Geoff W
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stale scones, cream looked like it had been reused and a very rude owner. The whole place is run down nothing like it used to be. The grounds are messy with animals everywhere a very far cry from what it was 20 years ago. Needs shutting down!!!!

4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stopped off at Badgers Holt for a cream tea. Really wished I hadn't . It was over priced, tasted stale and the whole place was shabby and neglected.

1  Thank Marie G
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

On the moors, great place to stop for food and surroundings. Been here numerous times, always good food, the cream teas are the best I've ever had. Go for a walk first as you'll be too stuffed after eating all the good food!

1  Thank debs21