“Gutted”

Church House Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Im sad to say after going here on sunday how bad our visit was. I must praise the bar bar man for what ever happened in that kitchen that day . We ordered our roast. . After an hour we had ask when our roast would be ready. Then to be told another five mins no roast potatoes left. No prk left Left there with refund and very disappointed .

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Called into this lovely old pub for it's 'fish and chip' night, either eat in or takeaway. After suffering the eat in option, I shudder to think what the takeaway one was like !

The drinks were fine, the real ale was properly managed and excellent, but the fish arrived in an uncooked mass of armour plated fat oozing batter, when the fish emulated a block of rubber.

I complained and to be fair, was told I wouldn;t be charged for it and offered a replacement meal, which I tried, chicken Jalfrezi, which although marginally better than the horrible fish, chips and mushy peas, was not that much better.

Having tried this pub now 3 times, I'm afraid they have no idea about cuisine or even basic ordinary cooking. It's such an awful shame that a wonderful, atmospheric local pub on Dartmoor, has such inept people doing the catering in this day and age when so many of us can manage far better ourselves, if only on a defensive cooking course !

Sadly, these people are well out of their depth, and it gives me absolutely zero pleasure to say so. They would be hard put to manage a decent transport stop anywhere in England imo.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Twelve of us booked for lunch on a wet Easter Sunday. As I entered, a local outside having a fag laughingly exclaimed "It's mayhem in there!" Had a pint of excellent Dartmoor IPA, then sat down at the long table in the room at the end of the pub. Most of my friends ordered one of the various roasts, but I had Homity Pie and salad. The food took around 30 mins to arrive which we thought was perfectly acceptable on such a busy day. The roasts (beef, lamb or pork belly) were delicious and huge according to my friends, with piles of veg, and the chips were divine. Homity Pie is a simple local potato and cheese pie, often done badly. This was was lovely with crumbly pastry, leeks and a good herby twang although it could have been slightly bigger especially by comparison to the roasts. Friendly staff, although there was only one person attempting to serve us which meant it took a while for all the food to arrive. However on Easter Sunday that's understandable and it didn't detract from our enjoyment at all. Very highly recommended.

1  Thank wildwomanswimming
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have returned again to sample more from the menu, and enjoy the friendly and welcoming ambiance of this pub. The land lord goes out of his way to please his customers and on every visit, we have observed that other customers also enjoy greatly their different choices and banter with he and the staff.

It is rare that I will do a second review so quickly but we both feel that this pub deserves another positive response, the best way I can describe the food is to say it is like the best of home cooking with sauces or gravies that will tempt any palate. Using local sources for his ingredients has proved a winner.

As the saying goes 'We'll be back' !!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

What a great pub, especially with the new ownership, the food is fantastic, great value with a variety of choices, to suit all tastes and size portions. There are are daily specials and they are willing to adapt your choice to satisfy your individual likes and dislikes, for example I am not fond of chips and the gave me lovely buttered new potatoes instead.

The ambiance is welcoming, obviously very popular for instead of the usual parties of 'ladies that lunch' there was a party of 'gentlemen that lunch'. all exploring the menu in eager anticipation to choose a meal to accompany their beers. My husband remarks there is a very good choice of beers!!

We could definitely recommend the faggots served with caramelized onions, very delicious. I chose a venison burger, without a roll, ( my choice ) and it was served with new potatoes, homemade coleslaw and side salad, we both tried each others choices, both yummy !.

Would have liked to have sampled a sweet .... but no room ! on our next visit, which will be as soon as possible, I will make sure I leave room for a desert. For those who don't drink alcohol they keep the Luscombe range of of natural soft drinks, much more pleasant than some of the rather sweet alternatives.