Visited for a two night break here in this wonderful hotel on Dartmoor to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. The staff made our room already to surprise him complete with balloons, huge bunch of flowers,homemade choccies, prosseco chilling away and just as we arrived a pint of Thatchers Gold on ice ready for him to start on. It was perfect. We ate and drank the three days well away and did chair aerobics with an ocassional swim to keep slightly active apart from lifting glasses of wine, cider or a whisky or so. The food, ambience,staff, everything was wonderful, the hotel is set in glorious grounds within sight of Haytor Rock.Although the weather was somewhat inclement it did not stop us from having a super time dining and enjoying ourselves.
A local lady, Emma from Emmas cake creations from Newton Abbot made my husband a super duper 50th Birthday cake of choccy fudge 5 layers encased in a delicious choccy icing all in the shape of my husbands golf bag, complete with a model of our kittencat and our Guernsey cows from a past life, sitting on a grass icing with tees and a golf ball. The cake was utterly delicious and such a wonderful masterpeice, I highly recommend.She kindly took it to the hotel for me so that my husband was not aware of the cake until it was served with coffee on his special day.
On the Saturday morning a pre 1920's car rally past the grounds of the hotel which was a lovely sight to see as was the gatherings of families for a wedding anniversary and the wedding parties resplendid in their wedding atire. The hotel was busy with all these different activities taking place, yet no one was perplexed or hurried and all seemed so effortlesly done for all the different lunches in the different areas of the hotel for all their very special days. Children played on the extensive grounds and people were drinking champagne beside the pergola and ponds and photos of the wedding parties upon the gardens, all so very English and lovely.
Highly recommend this hotel for a special time to spend with loved ones, for special days, delicious dinners and for time for quietness, It is a lovely spot to have a holiday in and I wish I could come for Christmas or a New Year, all so wonderfully decadent.
We shall return.
Thank you all for making it such a lovely time for both myself and my husband
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This highly rated country house hotel is set in 11 acres of private land within the boundaries of the Dartmoor National Park. Award winning food is served in the main Restaurant whilst the Blue Tiger Inn with its large sun terrace offers more informal dishes of excellent quality. Emphasis is on local produce and homemade creations.Beautiful new Spa opening early 2015 with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room, gym and indoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ilsington Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ilsington Country Hotel
- Best Western Newton Abbot
- Hotel Ilsington Country
- Ilsington Country House Hotel Dartmoor National Park, Devon