“Terrible food and no service”
Review of The Hunting Lodge

The Hunting Lodge
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Ivybridge
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“Terrible food and no service”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I visited here last Saturday evening. As we hadn't booked a table we arrived early thinking that we would have a better chance of getting a table. The Hunting Lodge was already busy and one part of the restaurant was closed off for some reason so we found that there was only one table available which was close to the bar, not ideal but seemed more comfortable than the tables with bench seats that we passed on our way through. Maybe I was wrong there as the back of my chair kept moving so much I felt it would give way if lent against it fully. Not wanting to spoil the evening for my wife I said nothing.

I then had to go to the bar to order my food. I ordered a medium rare sirloin steak and a chicken dish for my wife.

When a waiter arrived he asked who was having the steak and unceremoniously dropped the cutlery on the table. After what was not an unreasonable amount of time our food arrived. Without a word he just dropped (literally) the plates on the table and left. As I said I had ordered my steak medium rare - it arrived well done to burnt. We never saw our waiter again and a waitress serving tables nearby ignored my attempts to get her attention.

Unhappily I decided to make the best of it. The well done half of my steak had little flavour but the other half was very dry and completely inedible. My wife didn't finish her food either. Her only comment to me was 'I don't want to spend the rest of the evening here and I don't think we should eat here again'.

I had to return to the bar to pay my bill and I told the woman who came to serve me my thoughts on the service we received and how my steak was not cooked as I ordered it. I said that I resented paying for such bad food. Her response was 'Oh' and then presented me with a bill for the full amount.

I paid, I left and I won't be going back.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank BrandyMan2014

Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“love an evening here”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Love going here during the week for cheap but filling meals. Steak, chips, peas and mushrooms or Beer battered cod with chips.
Or at weekends their carvery is amazing.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank alison551646
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Generously Portioned Carvery!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful carvery to celebrate my Dad's 65th birthday. 5 of us all went and all of us enjoyed it. Would recommend to others. Great priced carvery for the generous portion of meat that you receive, we all left full and satisfied!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lgil8880
“Good Food”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

this is no too far from where we live so can walk there. the food is food served here is excellent but the place could do with a little bit of an update as some places are dark and the bench seats and tables are not that comfortable but you can reserve to sit in the library which is pleasant and creates a nice atmosphere, although you cannot always get in there as they close it some nights. All in all I would recommend the Hunting Lodge as a good place to eat

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Andyconcorde
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“The service & value for money remain top notch.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We've reviewed this pub before, but a recent visit reaffirmed what we've said before - the Hunting Lodge is arguably the most honest, reliable, value for money & well-run pubs in the county.

A freehold pub, beers & cider are well-picked, local (where possible) & diverse.

For less than a fiver, you can still buy steak, chicken or fish & chips of a better standard than a Wetherspoons, for example.

The Hunting Lodge should be proud about what it is - as I've said, an individual, honest, well-run, value for money British pub.

No pretensions, no tourist prices, no BS.

Long may it continue.