“Poor food, dirty restaurant and toilets.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Ivybridge
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Preston, United Kingdom
“Poor food, dirty restaurant and toilets.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Went here for a Sunday carvery with parents and sister and it was one of the worst I have ever had. Although the portions were generous, the beef was tough (my sister took it all home for her dog!). The vegetables were below average in taste and the apple sauce was watery and tasteless. To top it all the toilets were a disgrace, dirty and apparently the ammonia smell in the gents brought tears to the eyes. The table we sat at was sticky as it had not been cleaned properly and the whole place was grubby. Such a shame, went there a few years ago and it was much better. Not surprised it was empty.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karen W

“Awful food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I will never go back, and never recommend The Hunting Lodge to anyone after my experience there tonight. I ordered a lasagne, should've come with a spoon it was so runny, awful. My sister ordered a chilli, it was so hot (steam), she literally burnt her mouth. When the "food" arrived at our table, it was virtually thrown on the table by someone who obviously had not had any training in hospitality/customer service, either that or he just did not care. When it was time to settle up, I asked if they appreciated feedback, to be told, " it depends what it is"! No apology for the rubbish food ,or the poor service, or that someone burnt their mouth on over-microwaved sub-standard chilli. God awful folks, don't go there.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debs364
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“Terrible food and no service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I visited here last Saturday evening. As we hadn't booked a table we arrived early thinking that we would have a better chance of getting a table. The Hunting Lodge was already busy and one part of the restaurant was closed off for some reason so we found that there was only one table available which was close to the bar, not ideal but seemed more comfortable than the tables with bench seats that we passed on our way through. Maybe I was wrong there as the back of my chair kept moving so much I felt it would give way if lent against it fully. Not wanting to spoil the evening for my wife I said nothing.

I then had to go to the bar to order my food. I ordered a medium rare sirloin steak and a chicken dish for my wife.

When a waiter arrived he asked who was having the steak and unceremoniously dropped the cutlery on the table. After what was not an unreasonable amount of time our food arrived. Without a word he just dropped (literally) the plates on the table and left. As I said I had ordered my steak medium rare - it arrived well done to burnt. We never saw our waiter again and a waitress serving tables nearby ignored my attempts to get her attention.

Unhappily I decided to make the best of it. The well done half of my steak had little flavour but the other half was very dry and completely inedible. My wife didn't finish her food either. Her only comment to me was 'I don't want to spend the rest of the evening here and I don't think we should eat here again'.

I had to return to the bar to pay my bill and I told the woman who came to serve me my thoughts on the service we received and how my steak was not cooked as I ordered it. I said that I resented paying for such bad food. Her response was 'Oh' and then presented me with a bill for the full amount.

I paid, I left and I won't be going back.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank BrandyMan2014
“love an evening here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Love going here during the week for cheap but filling meals. Steak, chips, peas and mushrooms or Beer battered cod with chips.
Or at weekends their carvery is amazing.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank alison551646
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Generously Portioned Carvery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful carvery to celebrate my Dad's 65th birthday. 5 of us all went and all of us enjoyed it. Would recommend to others. Great priced carvery for the generous portion of meat that you receive, we all left full and satisfied!

• Visited April 2014