“Forget wi-fi or tv”

The Sportsmans Inn & Ivybridge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Ivybridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is just to warn those who might want to watch a bed-time series on TV or get online while staying here. The internet signal varies from 'no signal' to 'very low signal', the network goes down every now and again, so I have wasted about 3 hrs, but am still unable to finish with some important things I meant to complete tonight. As for the tv, it freezes every 10 min, to revive it you have to get out of bed and reload the device manually. So none of the two actually functions.
The cream on the tray has gone off and spoiled a nice cup of tea, so check before pouring.
On the bright side, the bed is OK, so is the rest of the hospitality tray, I appreciate the bottled water. The staff is nice and cooperative. The location is very good for the Two Moors Way, and there is a supermarket nearby to make a packed lunch of your own choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elena F

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We have just returned from a stay at this Hotel and whilst the refurb is work in progress the enthusiasm and efforts of the staff made the stay extremely enjoyable. I note others commenting on the refurb but frankly I have seen worse at top (very expensive) London Hotels.
Room was good, clean, well prepared and a bed I could sleep in. Dinner and breakfast were excellent for a Hotel of this standard. I would recommend this to anyone and I would stay there again. A hotel that is on the UP!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed one night whilst walking the two moors. I arrived in the busy bar which looked very welcoming although I must admit I didn't stay downstairs for long. I was really tired and just wanted to get to my room. It was clean... but that's about as much praise as I could give it. The bathroom was very small and cramped. The shower was also small, and the fixing was broken so I had to hold the shower head in place whilst I tried to wash my hair. I got a burned finger when I tried to use the kettle, so I gave up and decided to watch the TV... Which kept turning itself off. Breakfast was OK but all in all I thought it was charging way too much for its rooms. The previous night I had stayed in another pub, which charged £10 less per night and had beautiful rooms. I got the impression that they were charging whatever they wanted, as there is not much choice with alternative accommodation in Ivybridge.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BrianBo123
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed one night while walking the Two Moors Way and wasnt impressed. Arrival was the first bizarre moment, when we walked into the bar and there was a kids party in full swing! Receptionist / owner Mike wasn't anywhere around so had to go looking. Our room was very dark, cramped and dowdy, with a broken window catch that meant the traffic noise from the road outside was very audible. The shower over the bath had poor pressure and big temperature changes. No wifi as it was broken apparently. Dinner that evening was very, very average, with 'out of a jar' food and overpriced drinks. Breakfast the next day was just ok. The dining area in the bar is decorated in this strange 'Route 66 pizza place' sort of decor which is very incongruous with the traditional bar area itself. Service was fairly perfunctory and it was obvious the staff really weren't happy in their jobs - batman and manager had a run in over making drinks at one point in. All in all this was definitely the worst place we stayed in 21 days walking around Cornwall and Devon.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We live in Ivybridge and love this pub. It is utterly eccentric--covered with sporting paraphernalia, worn out but comfortable sofas, very funny landlord, staff can blow a bit hot and cold--but it is very much a hub of the community. We've eaten there a few times and the food is reasonable, not haute cuisine but they can surprise you occasionally--I had some superb wild boar a few months ago. Why change it you may ask? and you may have a point--but it could be so much more. If they can find a way of upgrading the whole establishment (pub, restaurant, hotel) without losing the essential 'bonkersness' of the place they would make a fortune--Ivybridge is gagging for a decent pub and restaurant, and there are very few places to stay. We will continue to use it I suspect for many years, but you just can't help thinking--------

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Can't comment on accommodation which may be lovely...and meal was some time ago...so apologies if its much better now. Had a Paella, which came withouth the advertised chicken and prawn. It was basically a watery mush with peas - yuk. When complained I was told that no one else had complained. Perhaps it was just an off night.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The room was clean, modern and bright - but the bathroom was a bit scruffy and the TV remote was filthy.
The evening meal of fish & chips was excellent but the breakfast tended more towards quantity than quality, my scrambled eggs seemed to be instant microwaved and were dry and had a fishy smell.
Staff were very helpful and friendly and we were provided our room even though we arrived much earlier than check in time.
Ample car park.
Good real ale.
It was hot weather, a electric fan was provided and was needed for sleep because a) our room was above the kitchen and the floor felt hot and this overheated the room (and provided food cooking odours) (but it did dry our hiking boots overnight) and b) we tried sleeping with the window open but the traffic noise of speeding cars through most of the night and the occasional passing drunks made for disturbed sleep. Double glazing minimised this noise.
We are grateful we did not have room over the bar when there was live music on Sat night.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of hotel facing the road if you need to sleep with windows open. Avoid the room ove...