“Rude staff, long wait for food nothing more to be said”

The Sportsman's Inn
Ranked #28 of 38 Restaurants in Ivybridge
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Waitress "Jo" - Welsh lady rude throughout visit. Young lady at bar very friendly and helpful.
Ordered bangers and mash with onion gravy had sausage and mash watered down gravy not onion gravy. Onion rings tasted of fat and were overcooked.
No highchairs for small children not at all child friendly.
Overall would not recommend or visit again.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I walked in for lunch escorting a 95 year old lady and told the blonde waitress we were a party of 7, she looked around the completely empty place, thinking about where she could place us. I suggested pushing two tables together, to which she said 'but that would make it a table for 10' Okay I answered, we'll sit on two separate tables then, no problem. She then pushed two tables together. I knew the Landlord was well known for being rude, but thought we'd give it a go anyway. He was polite to me, and even helpful, although the ladies in my party were not impressed by his 'sense of humour' In fact were rather insulted by it.
The food ordered was,on the whole, awful. The mash, apart, from being luke warm was bitter and just plain nasty. The Liver looked fabulous, and was well presented, but my guest was convinced it was pork, not lambs, as advertised.
My prawn cocktail was very nice, and told the waitress, who didn't even bother to smile or acknowledge the compliment. Perhaps she was annoyed that another guest in our party had told her it was the worst pub meal she had ever had, with gristle in the steak pie and totally inedible pastry. We will never be visiting this bizzarely decorated, awful place again-thank goodness!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Arrived at the Sportsmans arms at lunchtime today, 4th october, We were a group of seven, we asked if we could have two tables put together so we could all sit together, the waitress said but that's seating for ten. The fact that there was only one other person in the spacious eating area!! When seated we ordered our drinks, Three drinks and a jug of water for the others. This was placed on the table by the most miserable man ever! He informed us that he wouldn't make much profit from us, We thought it was a joke, but he was serious. The waitress took our orders and we waited and waited. Finally after thirty five minutes our meals arrived. I had the pie, the pastry was so hard on top I couldn't cut it, the pastry underneath was like soggy cardboard. The potato was cold and tasted disgusting, I asked my daughter to try it., she said it was awful. the first bite of the pie filling was a lump of gristle, the waitress came over and asked if everything was alright. When I told her it was awful,she thought I was joking! She did offer to take it back to the kitchen. What she was going to do to revive the meal was beyond me. Two other people in our group didn't eat their meals. They tasted, and left it. However, the sandwich and the prawn cocktail was fine, There again,hard to get that wrong!!! Needless to say we will never go there again.

1  Thank E R
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Menu very clearly marked showing which items are gluten free. Waiting team knowledgeable and quite happy to answer any questions. Very good helping size.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I recently visited this establishment with two adults with learning disabilities one was clapping and making happy noises, the landlord said to us I cant have that in here IT is upsetting other customers we were actually the only ones in there at the time his review on his website says disabled friendly (that is a joke) maybe he means if they are in a wheelchair and don't speak they can come in. I was fuming with him but rather than upset the clients we left the landlord is the most rude man I have ever met it is discrimination.

1  Thank 485anonymous