“Brilliant Place!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Lydford B&B and Inns
belfast
“Brilliant Place!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stopped off here for a light lunch while out cycling and were delighted to find a real homely atmosphere inside! It was spotlessly clean and had heaps of character. The landlady/barmaid was very welcoming and seemed very happy at her work, joking with the customers, a nice change to the indifferent/grumpy staff you sometimes get at chain pubs! Nothing was too much trouble and she sorted us out with drinks and delicious home made soup and rolls. We were so glad we stopped here and wish there were more places like this!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We recently stayed at the Fox and Hounds near Lydford in their caravan site which is located immediately behind the pub/hotel. The bar has character and has not been ruined by being updated, the real ale is superb and the food is of great quality. The staff and owners all were helpful and friendly and nothing was to much trouble, what a pleasure it was to stay. We look forward to returning. John and Meg Wherry

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
PLYMOUTH
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed in the bunk house, as soon as you go in the room the damp smell hits you, then the coldness, then the 70 decor! this is the worse bunk house I've ever stayed in!! i know it was cheap but it was just so so cold I ended up using a survival blanket to survive the night. In the morning all our stuff was damp, I camped the previous night and had wished Id did that last night now that is saying something, would never stay there again, staff were friendly enough, the owners really need to change things.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1ladyescapee
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I regularly stay on a camping based stay.(in a tent) Great facilities.always clean and easily accessible day or night.the location is the best money can buy.
The owners\staff are always on hand for help and a high level of service.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Had the 'joy' of staying in room 5 for new year, the lousiest room I have ever stayed in, directly above the kitchen, bottle store being emptied at 8am, no insulation between floor and celling, can hear draws being closed, and every word that is said bellow !

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Tbroo
Helston
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I was travelling on my own with a dog for a training weekend nearby. I couldn't have been better looked after. The room I was given was very clean and comfortable, with everything I could need laid on. I ate in the pub that evening and the menu choice was really nice, home cooked and good value. Breakfast was huge and lovely. It's not pretending to be high- end luxury hotel but it is a proper old-fashioned, local pub representing good value in clean comfortable surroundings, with kind and friendly staff. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AurildisHelston
bracknell
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Couldn't have asked for a better welcome - a friendly greeting, shown the room and believed it when I was told just to ask.

ACCOMMODATION
As other reviewers have said, the rooms have a distinctively 70's air. Lots of browns and dusky pinks. The bed-linen has seen better days. The en-suite was cramped behind a sliding door and powered by a saniflow. The shower was not the most powerful I have experienced but did the job.

FOOD & DRINK
Breakfast was plentiful and Frank was very attentive - lots of good coffee and reasonable food -
Arrived back after Church on Sunday, and was unable to get Sunday lunch because the place was too busy - the staff were not particularly helpful and suggested sitting at 'the only table left in the pub' which was in the corner of the pool room - I didn't bother!
I had dinner the next evening and the food was reasonable and served very quickly. The JailAle was well kept and went down well!

VALUE FOR MONEY
On balance, I would say that the prices are slightly high for what is on offer - but the place is very popular and I guess they see no reason to bring them down!

WOULD I RETURN?
Yes, I think I would, knowing what I am getting - it is a good bolt-hole for doing other things and I would happily stop here for a night or two - I wouldn't make it my base for a longer holiday though!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travellinghead
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydford
Bovey Castle Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Okehampton
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Fox and Hounds Hotel? Share your experiences!