“An average Indian, not too much local competition could be why”
Review of The Royal Spice

The Royal Spice
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Modbury
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Postcode: PL21 0PU Phone: 01548 831191
Reviewed 18 January 2011

If you are in Modbury and after an Indian then this really is your only option unless you drive to Ivybridge around quarter of an hour away.

The restaurant recently reopened under the name "The Royal Spice", having previously been known as Sanjida, but as far as I could tell the menu is pretty much identical, although prices do seem to have dropped a little (£3 for a starter and around £7 for a main eat-in). The food, as in Sanjida's time, was OK - I had a mixed starter; the onion bhaji was crisp and the chicken tikka tasty, but the lamb tikka was chewy and the sheek kebab was quite dry. For mains we had a lamb rogan josh and chicken korma - the chicken korma was like any other, quite sweet and nothing sensational, whilst I found the rogan josh to be a little odd. It did contain tomatoes, but didn't really taste of them like I expected from eating them in the past. It wasn't unpleasant, just not particulrly good. The garlic naan was fine, and, comparatively, the portions were fairly large.

The service was fairly quick, my only other major problem was that we were coughing a lot due to the burning of spices from the kitchen. Every so often it would catch your throat. Drink prices weren't too bad, and I wouldn't actively discourage anyone from going there, but, next time I shall return to my usual haunt of the Meghna in Ivybridge for a takeaway.

8  Thank chammp