“Fantastic Restaurant”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We went there for a meal on Saturday the 25th of August. We had booked it with recommendations from freind's when looking at the website we were bemused as to what we are going to expect as there is not much information really. But on arrival we were unexpectedly pleased to see the grounds, the opulence and the grandure of this beautiful hotel/restaurant. Our friends had 2 young children as well and we were so well looked after and every one was very pleasant to the children and tried hard to keep them involved in choosing their meal.
2 of us ordered coffee for after dinner but they did not taste right and on informing the waiters they were taken of our bills. We are so taken by this beautiful sorrunding that we are hoping to go and stay there next year for some special celebrations.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank French L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,483)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We visited Bovey Castle for a family wedding in July this year and were astonished by the breathtaking views and surroundings. The wedding breakfast was excellent and overall our visit was most hospitable

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I saw an excellent offer from Travelzoo for a 1 stay with breakfast and dinner, saving £180. I thought this would be a great opportunity to treat my husband for his birthday. However, having read some recent poor reviews concerning customer service and the Classic room on offer. I called the hotel to seek reassurance from a Manager that the 5* service suggested by the hotel website is what would have been experienced rather than that suggested by the reviews. It so happened that Frederico, the General Manager was on duty and I have to say he persuaded me that we would indeed have a memorable time. I said I would call back the following evening. I called as arranged and was told he was unavailable to confirm the booking, I left a message. No call was received, I gave him the benefit of the doubt until the following evening to call.... Nothing. I called the hotel to say that we would not be booking as it appeared that despite all the positive words the other night, actions speak louder than words. I received a call within 5 mins, the reason given for not calling was he had forgotten!!!. I said that we would no longer be booking as this lack of customer service reflected that previously raised as a concern. I said that I would be detailing my experience on Trip Adviser,his response was that he wasn't threatened by Trip Adviser. Not a response I would have expected from the General Manager of a 5 * star hotel. I am sure that Frederico will post a reply to this post saying that he offered to ensure that our visit would be as expected, but I'm afraid I wasn't prepared to take the chance for my husband's birthday.It's easy to promise excellence, but actions speak louder than words and if someone in the position of General Manager can't lead by example it unfortunately gave me no confidence. I'm sure guests will continue to have memorable holidays at this hotel, but my personal pre booking experience has
ensured that one of them won't be me!!

11  Thank devonbeauty
BoveyCastleHotel, Bovey Castle management team at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

While we are fully aware that our guests, particularly those looking to book for the first time, turn to TripAdvisor for unbiased feedback from fellow travellers, you are not assisting future guests by providing only an abridged version of events.

For booking information left unclear by any online promotional deal, the third party booker or our own reservations team would have been able to provide further detail in the first instance. Your decision to ring the hotel directly and speak to the hotel manager was not unreasonable, but the speed at which you demanded your enquiry to be recognised was simply unrealistic.

Federico Aresti dealt with your calls both sympathetically and confidently, offering his expertise as hotel manager to ensure your stay at the hotel would be befitting of the occasion – your husband’s birthday. This reassurance even extended to a gesture from the hotel on arrival or at his birthday meal, but this was not sufficient encouragement for you to book there and then.

Although not mentioned in your review, the next call was regarding information on our golf handicap. Even if you required this information urgently, the handicaps for both men and women are clearly displayed under the golf section of the website and you could have called our golf shop for immediate confirmation.

You had obviously spent considerable time researching Bovey Castle on TripAdvisor, you could not have failed to notice the vast backlog of praise for Federico - stretching from our spectacular Christmases right through the year. Your experience of Bovey Castle is limited to a handful of phone calls that you have overwhelmingly misconstrued as poor customer service; as a business that seeks to constantly improve its product, Bovey Castle does not recognise your review as a source of viable criticism or suggestion for improvement.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Staying in one of the lodges in the grounds is the perfect solution for families with young children. The facilities in the lodge are superb - lovely bedrooms with excellent en-suite bathrooms - and a kitchen which has everything one could wish for, along with a comfortable sitting room, all to the highest standard. The ambience of the whole place is very relaxing and peaceful with the stunning views across the valley and golf course.

The Kids Club and indoor swimming pool provide perfect entertainment for the little ones, as well as the outdoor activities such as trampolining, tennis and archery. It would have helped to have had more eggs 'laid' so that the egg-collecting expedition each morning doesn't lead to too much disappointment for the younger children.

The service and the food in the bistro was adequate but not quite up to the standard one would expect in a hotel of this level.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2012

A stunning location, excellent service and a beautiful room with views over the 360 acres of grounds! Afternoon tea on the Terrace was an experience to remember and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Enjoyed dinner in the bistro (though the pizzas were so big that we could not finish them). A beautiful swimming pool and jacuzzi and mini golf helped us digest our wonderful meals.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one with valley views.
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We did not stay at Bovey Castle Hotel but stopped for Full Tea.
Sitting on the terrace, looking at the amazing view -was fantastic.
Great service, kids friendly, great coffee, tea, sandwiches and cakes.
Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Talia A
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Wow.... for once the pictures tell the story, This place is as good as it looks, in fact better. Great location and setting, magnificent building and grounds. All the staff are very helpful and make you feel at home. For a special occasion or just a relaxing get away, this place ticks all the boxes.
The food, and wine list at the Edwardian, both first rate, as are the staff. The treatments, and the staff in the world class spa will help you unwind, as will the pool and sauna. But be warned, there are so many activities available here that a short visit may not be enough...you will want to stay longer.

1  Thank richy s
#2 of 2 in Chagford
Two Bridges Hotel
Two Bridges Hotel
#1 of 2 in Two Bridges

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!