“Re: Stay at Bovey Castle with my wife”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
“Re: Stay at Bovey Castle with my wife”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

In our opinion Bovey Castle after numerous visits still remains one of the very best hotels to stay in outside of London. The Senior Management & staff at every level give exemplary service with a special mention to Felicity on Reception, Kim & Charlie in the Spa & Derrick re car parking services. Also a very special thank-you to Federico ArestiI the GM, who managed to spend twenty minutes with us in the bar area explaining/outlining future plans for Bovery Castle. The walks /surroundings are beautiful especial if you have a dog, and Bovey Castle provide all the necessary towels & even food for the dog in the room(if required). The food in the Edwardian Grill was excellent together with high customer service levels. A great stay, and we look forward to staying again in the near future.

Room Tip: Apply for Resort Membership to get 20% discount off rooms & Food.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you so much for a Splendid Review and from a Top Contributor. It cannot get any better! The fact that you take the time to mention so many of the team here does you great credit. Felicity and her team on Reception are a great asset to the Hotel and don't get the recognition they deserve sometimes. As for 'Dangerous' Derrick in the Concierge, he's relatively new to Bovey but it seems like he's been here for decades! He really is one of life's characters and loves being at Bovey as much as we love having him here. Kim and Charlie in the Spa are wonderful and I know they will blush when they read this! The crowning glory of the team here is of course our little African/Italian Manager Federico! He gets many mentions on this site, everyone well deserved.

Thank you for continuing to visit Bovey, we are very grateful of that and that you are such a great supporter of the Hotel and this that work there. Thank you.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 18 February 2014

For all of us who just love these old country house hotels, this is something not to miss. The area, the winding road leading to the hotel, the gate and then arriving and having your car parked by the staff. What a welcome feeling. And it only gets better. The photos does not tell the whole story, it is better. A star to the ones responsible for decorating the function rooms.
Staff brilliant, always ready to please. Room superb. Wine to go behind the eyes and making it even better.
We took a little walk along the river. If you do not relax here you will never do it.
Only one suggestion to the restaurant staff: When you make the table for two make sure that you put both people alongside the wall. Not so nice to have your back against everybody else in the big room. Just ask old wild west cowboys.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room but we did not get the feeling we had.
1 Thank Thomas62_10
I love this review! Clearly you have a great sense of humour! Thank you. I am really pleased at the mentions you make, even about the team that redecorated the Bovey Room! That's impressive. The re-dec was in house with Nic my PA responsible for the design and Danny Evans my Maintenance Manager and his team responsible for carrying it off. We always try and keep things up to date as much as we can and it is great when someone notices.

More pleasing to me is your mention of the staff. They are brilliant and I adore each and everyone of them. I know they all read these reviews so your comments will be well received. As for Restaurant seating you are absolutely right and message received loud and clear!

Thank you once again for writing a wonderful review and from a Senior Contributor too no less! Great stuff.

Hope to see you here again before too long.

Lancs
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at Bovey Castle for a couple of nights. Some aspects of the stay were excellent - the lounges were great; the service was superb (staff would often check in on you just to make sure everything was OK). The room was large but we were surprised that it did not have a trouser press or a luggage stand as there was certainly space to accommodate them. The Edwardian Grill offered excellent food and faultless service but is very pricey. There is also a discretionary 12.5% service charge on top - I've seen the long explanation and understand the reasoning but when a bottle of water is £4.50 its a bit steep on top. I would also say that all employers have to pay Employers NI on wage bills so this is not really an excuse. Breakfast was also excellent, with a good choice of food including eggs benedict which is not served in many hotels - the eggs were poached to perfection! Also very good was the more reasonably priced Bistro - my fish dish was slightly salty but I think this is more my personal taste. The swimming pool is large and the dressing gowns very comforting. The gym was a little on the small side but you can't have everything. Also, phone reception was very poor - there was a corner of the bistro that got a signal; though you could get wi-fi Ok. Superb selection of whiskies - but again be prepared to pay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a very nice review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit. Whilst I do understand that there were one or two things you would like to see such as trouser presses and luggage stands all in all you had a great stay which is important. (I have to be honest I am at a loss as to why they weren't in your room - I will ask Ursula my Housekeeper to look into that).

I am particularly pleased that you found the Edwardian to be so good. Whilst we accept it is not the cheapest option it has to be good and I know that the team there will be pleased to see you found the food excellent and the service faultless. High praise indeed. I do agree with you though, £4.50 for a bottle of water is a bit steep so I am going to look into that and see what I can do.

As for service charge well you have obviously read my fairly long explanation on this subject which I stand by. All in all you had a great stay and I very much appreciate you taking time to post it.

Hopefully we will see you again before too long.

Bristol, England
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I can only echo the fantastic reviews heaped upon Bovey Castle.

From the moment we drew up in our car, we were made to feel welcomed. We arrived early to enjoy a Sunday lunch in the Edwardian restaurant. The food was exquisite and the price for the set lunch was very fair. We returned to the same restaurant that evening, as we enjoyed it so much. As a vegetarian, I had already eaten one of the two vege meals that were offered that day - and did not fancy the other. That evening, I was offered an alternative vege option, without any fuss. All our meals were delicious and faultless.

As we were shown to our room, we noted the fabulous decor through out the hotel. There are many public rooms, each with their own style, but all of them warm, cosy and inviting. Our room was a standard room, but it was very well appointed with a very comfy bed. The room included lots of extras, including home baked biscuits, fudge, and plenty of bottles of drinking water.

At night we cosied up in front of a roaring log fire, and had a lounge to ourselves.

We also borrowed the hotel wellies and enjoyed a pleasant circular walk to the nearby pub. The morning falconry display was cancelled due to bad weather - although this offers an excuse to come back and see what we were missing out on.

The hotel and surrounding area has a lot to offer, in good weather and bad. I m looking forward to a return visit so entire soon.

Room Tip: We had a travelzoo offer and a standard room. Room 5 was a good size and very comfortable, but lack...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
What a great review! Thank you. I am really delighted that you had such a good visit to Bovey Castle. I am really happy to hear that the vegetarian choices were up to scratch, an area that it is so easy to get wrong. Andy our Head Chef puts a lot of effort into those and I was very pleased to hear that because you had already had one choice at lunch and didn't really fancy the second for the evening they managed to do another equally enjoyable creation.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Bovey Castle is the most beautiful setting for a leisurely afternoon tea and when I recently visited with a couple of girlfriends all the staff were really helpful and lovely. 2 of us had a traditional afternoon tea which by all accounts was fantastic, but the gluten free option was very lacking in imagination and dry so I wouldn't recommend it. Such a shame as the afternoon was lovely, sitting in the library with the open fire for a few hours.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa G
Thank you for your review. I am really happy that you had a highly enjoyable visit to Bovey Castle. Please accept my apologies that your Gluten free afternoon tea was not all that you and hoped for. I have asked Andy Storey my Head Chef to look into it and come up with something better. I am glad it didn't appear to spoil you and your friends visit and please rest assured I take your comments very seriously.

I hope you will let me know when you plan to return when I am sure you will be pleased wight he changes.

Switzerland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We spent two nights at Bovey Castle and were overwhelmed by its aristocratic charme. It is beautifully located in "pure landscape". The building and its rooms are big and also air a certain greatness. "The Edwardian" restaurant offers fantastic cuisine. Staff was very friendly. Good place to be. We'll hopefully come back once.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onthewayunterwegs
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for an excellent review of your stay with us. It is much appreciated. I am delighted that you took time to post it. I am particularly pleased that whilst the place and the surrounding areas are indeed undeniably beautiful you took time to mention how friendly the team are here and that you found the food in the Edwardian to be 'fantastic'. This is high praise and I know that Andy Storey our Head Chef and his team will be delighted to read this.

Bovey as you say is a 'good place to be'!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay at Bovey Castle. What wonderful experience. The staff, the food, the whole experience was outstanding. We were made to feel so welcome, such a shame we could only stay for the one night. Lovely roaring fires, beautiful views, such a wonderful atmosphere. It was my husband's birthday and all the staff remembered to wish him a Happy Birthday, even adorning his plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate. The attention to detail was outstanding.
Cannot recommend Bovey Castle highly enough.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
I have said countless times how rewarding it is when we get a great review and it is even more rewarding when a Senior Contributor posts a review. Once again this is a great review and in my opinion encapsulates the spirit of the team here. Thank you.

I am thrilled that you had such a great time here and enjoyed the atmosphere and service. Everyone here reads these so I know your review will go down well.

We all look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Bovey
Ilsington Country House Hotel
Tavistock House Hotel
Tavistock House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Tavistock

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!