“Dining”

Ranked #13 of 58 Restaurants in Okehampton
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Devon, United Kingdom
“Dining”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having eaten at the New Inn on two occasions, I found the menu rather limited. On the first visit I had the sirloin steak, and it was rather fatty and tough to cut. On the second visit, I again tried the sirloin steak, as I thought the first may have been a one off. I was wrong, it was the same as the first, tough and fatty. I would not recommend ordering the sirloin steak at this venue, try something else.My wife ordered the cod in batter, and said this was one of the best fish and chips she had tasted, so I would give the steak a miss. The nibbles were expensive, two pieces of bread, two bread sticks and some olives for £4.50 is OK if you don't mind wasting your money

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Cole D

• Polish first
Okehampton
“Ignore the sour bar woman and you'll have a nice time”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I've been to this pub a couple of times recently. There is an expansive menu so lots of choice but I'm certain this means a lot of it comes from the freezer. Nevertheless, I'd say the food is of a decent quality (yummy sticky toffee pudding!). The pub itself is a lovely old building and has a large garden area, which is nice to enjoy on a summer's day. The majority of the staff are pleasant and very polite, but sadly the woman who I suspect to be the owner is the complete opposite - each time I've come across her she speaks very bluntly and rudely to customers, which really annoys me! Steer clear of her and I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit!

• Visited July 2014
North Tawton, United Kingdom
“Awful Bar Staff, Okay Food... Wouldn't Visit Again.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I had heard really good things about the food at The New Inn so booked to visit for Sunday lunch with my family.

On arriving to the pub we headed to the bar to confirm that we were there and get a drink. A tall, older lady (grey hair) served us and is one of the rudest people I have every had the misfortune to meet. She acts like it is an inconvenience that you are there and is in no way friendly at all.

I had scallops with bacon and cream to start which was very nice, however when my main came I was quite disappointed. I had fillet of pork which was overcooked thin slices of pork and my partner's monkfish stunk of fish (not a good sign) was overcooked and cut into tiny pieces.

Needless to say I didn't bother with a dessert.

It is such a shame as there aren't many places within 5 minute drive from home to eat out at but I shan't be going back again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank pippinsuds
Plymouth
“Devons Gem!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Gorgeous pub, beautiful tranquil beer garden with chickens and ducks to see, and a stream running along the bottom. The food isn't your average ham egg and chips pub grub but something much more special. Top quality well priced food which even during busy times you don't have to wait very long for. Great selection of real local ales, the staff are all very welcoming and lovely. You have to visit this pub when your passing or in the area!

• Visited July 2014
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Very helpful staff”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Chosen purely because it was recommended by my B&B, I was dining alone the staff were super helpful with helping me choose from the menu as I cannot have milk, cream or cheese, I managed to eat 3 delicious courses washed down with a good pint of guiness in this charming old english pub style surroundings...they even had dairy free ice cream to go with dessert (very rare find) Strongly recommend their blueberry bakewell tart!

Visited June 2014