“If you go down to the vines today, you're in for a big surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eastcott Vineyard

Eastcott Vineyard
Ranked #7 of 21 things to do in Okehampton
More attraction details
Owner description: Open for WINE SALES 09.30 to 5.00 Jun - Sept & Half-terms. Tuesday to Saturday; Oct to May, Thursday to Saturday. (January & early Feb only by app't.) GUIDED TOURS April to September. Eastcott makes internationally recognised English sparkling wines & still wines.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“If you go down to the vines today, you're in for a big surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I know, an English vineyard, like going to look at an African glacier isn't it? Well no, surprisingly not! Although I have been to quite a few vineyards around the world, this was my first English one and was mainly due to the fact that I was staying in one of their adjoining (and truly excellent) holiday cottages that are on-site. Richard was in charge of the tour on our visit and I think one of my lasting memories will be my amazement that they have, over the course of 5 years, gone from "city-folk" to self-taught wine makers who are making some very decent wines! The tour was very interesting even to someone who'd been on them before, particularly the unique things facing English wine production and local considerations. Richard was extremely knowledgable but very interesting at the same time. I had taken my Mum along and it was her first vineyard visit but she was truly surprised and the work and effort that went into wine production - especially the sparkling. (I think personally she enjoyed the tasting at the end most but that's a different story!) Anyway, we left a couple of hours later, a few bottles heavier!! (The sparkling Brut Zero became our drink of the trip!) Well worth a visit if you're down Okehampton way.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic vineyard tour and exceptional wines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Visited the vineyard on a warm sunday afternoon, tucked away in the devon countryside easy to find with the directions from the eastcott vineyard website. the tour was informal and relaxed yet fansinating and richard was exceptionally knowledgable and informative. The tour took us through the vineyard with spectacular views of the 6000+ vines and the picturesque countryside. Followed by the winery and the finale of the tasting, british wines don't always have a good reputation, however the wines produced here were flavoursome and the rose was particularly fruity which is always nice on a warm day- hence the purchase of two bottles to take home!!
Definately worth the visit, superb tour, reasonable price and the wine is exceptionally good too!!!

WallerH, Owner at Eastcott Vineyard, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you Gavin for your kind words.
I am also posting this reply so that everyone else can know that we are no longer in the 'Winter Season' so please see our website. Unfortunately I cannot yet get the hours mentioned above to update, but we are OPEN TUE-SAT from June to Sept.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic vineyard experience in Devon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have visited vineyards since I was a teenager, and I have to say that I was very impressed when I visited Eastcott Vineyard last April. The tour started with a very warm welcome from Hilary, who then took a party of 6 to view the vines. She was very knowledgeable and didactic and it was very enjoyable to see how the plants were developing. The tour continued with Richard, who then walked us through the process he follows to make both still and sparkling wine. He provided very detailed and accurate information of all the different steps, and we were all impressed by the set up of the winery. The tour ended with a taste of some of their sparkling, white and rose wines. I have had the chance to taste these in previous occasions, so I already knew I we were set up for a very nice treat! All in all, this was a very nice and didactic experience and one that will not disappoint! Highly recommended.

Visited April 2012
Exeter
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth a second visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

I visited Eastcott Vineyard last April and thoroughly enjoyed the tour, so my partner & I decided to return again this year to see how things had developed. Both vineyard and winery seem to be coming along nicely. Once again, it was well worth the visit!

Launceston, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Vineyard experience not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Having visited several vineyards both here in UK and abroad I must recommend you spend time visiting this interesting one in Devon. Having first encountered their Gribbleford White Wine in a blind tasting at which it saw off the foreign competition, we were in high hopes of what we might find. We were not disappointed and the openness and good humour which accompanied our visit and tasting gave us a wonderful insight into the origins and development of the vineyard.