“Just like the Tardis Small on the outside LARGE on the inside”

Museum of Dartmoor Life
Ranked #8 of 21 things to do in Okehampton
Pontypool, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Just like the Tardis Small on the outside LARGE on the inside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

At first the Museum of Dartmoor life looks very tiny as you walk up the narrow cobbled alley but when you actually visit it, for a very reasonable entrance fee. The museum actually has loads to offer on 3 floors. You will need at least a couple of hours to visit. There is a lot of amazing and quirky history of Devon there, a must to see!
We as a party went with our Grandson. There was plenty for the Grandson to do, lots of ''hands on'', think he learned more than we did. The staff were polite and left us to look around.

Would definitely recommend visiting this museum if you are in the area.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank 46tonyjen

Worcester, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Tucked away but worth seeking out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This small museum is tucked away, but well worth visiting and not far from the castle which attracts a lot of visitors. I visited with my daughter who is nearly 6 and we both had a very enjoyable time. Although it's not big, it's packed with information and interesting exhibits and there are lots of things for children to do. We designed and made a shield together, did some brass rubbing, watched the videos and she dressed up in several outfits. What I like about this place is how it covers so many different aspects of Dartmoor's history and gives you a taste of the social aspects as well as the geology and military history. It's interesting to see so many everyday objects that people once used displayed in context and I think it teaches young children a valuable in lesson in how much harder things we now take for granted used to be; catching and cooking your dinner, making your clothes etc. The entrance fee is surprisingly small considering all that is on offer and I would encourage people to donate generously to the collection box on leaving. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable and nothing was too much trouble for them. The shop has a good range of local books and maps of the area and the gentleman staffing the desk when we arrived was providing bus timetable information to a lady as the tourist information office was closed. The atmosphere is calm and welcoming and you can spend more time there than you might think. I should also like to add that the Victorian Pantry is well worth a visit when you have finished in the museum; delicious home made cakes and some of the best vegetable soup I have tasted. I would also recommend the boiled egg tea! These places are small, local gems which deserve to be well supported.

Visited May 2014
7 Thank B F
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Super museum and larger than you think!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Three floors tell the history of Dartmoor. Fascinating ..next time will spend longer. Good activities for kids in the holidays too. Loved the Golden bunny trail.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Deb D
Andover
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Worth seeing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Much more than you expect for the small entrance fee. Full of interesting items and information about the area and its history.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank PRM42
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Surprisingly good, packed with exhibits!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My parents live locally and I've never been especially fond of Okehampton (sorry everyone) so it's safe to say I did not go into the museum with the highest of expectations. However! It's really a fabulous little museum. They have packed a lot of stuff into a very small space and it has changed my opinion of Dartmoor, which I now know is actually a very interesting place.

Good value for money as it's just £2.50 for an adult to enter or £1 for students and children (a very apt grouping). Good gift shop too, well-stocked.

Everything is clean, tidy and well-maintained. The exhibits run in chronological order from the Bronze Age to the 21st Century, including interactive displays such as a Bronze Age hut which can be explored both inside and out, and Victorian housing set-ups and a video. They also have frequent art exhibitions.

I have returned to the museum a few times and my only complaint is that they have removed some of the Geology exhibits! Put them back please, museum people :) A more detailed geology section would be great as Devon (especially Dartmoor) is interesting.

Visited August 2013