“Good food, reasonable prices”

The East Dart Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Postbridge
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good menu, quick service. Lasagna on Friday was great and steak on Saturday was even better. Nice to see local farms being supported.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were staying in the nearby youth hostel and chose this place as it was the closest restaurant. The menu looked ok with a range of fairly standard pub meals, although the prices were high so we expected very good quality food. What we were served was very disappointing indeed - I had a trio of sausages with mash that were clearly pre-cooked and reheated when ordered. This meant that they were dry and bland to the point of tasteless. The mash tasted like dried instant Smash, which I suspect was because it was also pre-cooked and heated to order (I can't believe that any restaurant would actually use dried mash!) and my wife had chicken which again was dry and tough suggesting that it had been pre-cooked and reheated. The highlight of the meal was my son's haddock and chips, which was the only thing that appeared to have been cooked fresh and as a result was excellent.
In addition to the (mostly) poor quality food, the owners young children spent the whole time running in and out of the back door and generally using the restarant area as a playground. We have teenage children ourselves and even they were aghast at children of this age being allowed to run around making a nuisance of themselves in this way at 7 o'clock in the evening.

2  Thank Dave2usa
RosieJPostbridge, Owner at The East Dart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2015

Thank you for your review. I can assure you that we do not use Smash, nor do we pre-cook food and then reheat it. The sausages are local and certainly not bland or tasteless, the chicken and cod are fresh and all of our food is cooked to order. I'm sorry that you were aghast that during the summer holidays, children were playing in the back garden in the early evening, but we are a family pub and they are aware not to disturb diners - your table was not directly disturbed.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

my boyfriend and I stopped off here after driving into Dartmoor on 01/08/2014 it was a rainy miserable day and wanted somewhere to get some lunch and dry off. Dogs are welcome which was perfect for us. Its very cosy and welcoming inside and they had their own resident dog Shiraz who was lovely and friendly (very big though! ) my boyfriend chose the steak and ale pie and thoroughly enjoyed it, i tried some and you could really taste the ale. portion was very generous with plently of meat in the pie. I had the quiche lorraine which came with chips and was fantastic! I was expecting the quiche to be cold but was lovely and hot and so cheesy it was amazing. again portion size was massive so great value for money, would definitely come back

1  Thank corrosivelement
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stopped here after our ride through Dartmoor at Shilston Rocks on a Saturday for lunch. We were the only ones in the pub. We ordered soup, tea, fish and chips, scones and cream. We asked for still water and was offered tap water in a glass bottle and charged three pounds for that. The food was tasteless and the scones were stale. The food was cold-except for the fish and the service was so bad, the lady that served us sat on the other side of the pub eating lunch and visiting with the staff. We had to ask for our check. I would not recommend this pub.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Really enjoy coming for Sunday lunch especially as it is good value and plenty of choice. Lovely veg and local meats.
Of an evening we've enjoyed traditional fish and chips and steak pie, lovely.
The setting is nice and buzzy with a fire in the winter. Dog friendly so can take our dog in too.