“A Hidden Gem”

The Chapel at The Oratory
Ranked #4 of 6 Princetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Fantastic stay at the Oratory, a real hidden gem. We have just spent 2 nights in the annex and were very pleasantly suprised by the quality of the accommodation.

We had a very warm welcome from Sally, she could not be more helpful and was full of advise and nothing was too much trouble. We were made to feel very much at home.

The accommodation was of a great standard and we loved the bathroom with the under floor heating. The small kitchen area was well presented and well stocked with a fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster. Lots of plates, cups, glasses and cutlery available. The bed was comfortable and our daughter enjoyed sleeping on the day bed which Sally had made up for her.

The accommodation is ideal for walkers as you have a separate entrance hall and plenty of space for boots, coats and rucksacs. Sally also offered to dry any wet coats etc if needed.

We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I live only an hour away but were looking for somewhere to just escape for a couple of nights. I found The Oratory via Trip Advisor and as it had several good ratings, booked us in for a two-night getaway. It was a great central location to go wandering on Dartmoor and from the pics online, it looked like the Chapel Annex would have plenty of space if the weather turned out to be crap and we ended up spending the weekend stuck inside reading our books (not really a bad thing, to be sure)!

My only hesitation before booking was that it is advertised as dog-friendly and my husband is really allergic to dogs. We decided to risk it anyway and it turned out not to be a problem at all. Sally keeps the place so clean, you'd never know that dogs stay there frequently as well!

We stayed in the Chapel Annex and it was so spacious! The room was a great size and had lovely windows all along the wall which made it really light and airy. Even though England is in the middle of a heatwave right now, we slept quite comfortably with the breeze that comes in off the moor through the open windows.

Sally was lovely and showed us around when we arrived, asking what we wanted to do during our stay and then pointing out on the big map where we could find quiet spots by the stream to read our books in the shade or suggesting a trip to Tiverton to visit their market. The place also has games and books and plenty of local guidebooks. And if the weather is poor or you just want a quiet night in, there is a DVD player for entertainment as well.

As for the food, the breakfast was perfect for what we wanted in the summer. A selection of breads, jams, yoghurts and fresh fruit were available along with juice and coffee. The fruit was so fresh it was likely picked only the day before and was wonderful! We were able to eat at our leisure and because it's also self-catering, there were things like wine glasses for the wine we brought as well.

Ooh, and lest I forget, the bath there is AMAZING. The bathroom is clean, large and airy and there is a tub that is big enough for two and/or my very tall husband.

All in all, it's a fabulous place and I will definitely recommend it to others. Should we need another short escape, we will also be going back as there's plenty more Dartmoor to explore!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AngelaKK
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Myself and friends booked the oratory double and the beeches self catering accommodation for a couple of nights, Sally is very welcoming and soon puts you in chilled and relaxed environment so you can enjoy your stay to the fullest, the double is spacious and well presented and the beeches is everything you would expect from modern accommodation with all mod cons, I would certainly recommend the oratory to all that are considering staying in dartmoor.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and facilities can not be faulted
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed at the Oratory for 10 days in the chapel annex ,whilst working at Dartmoor prison. It was fantastic ,just to come back to the room and just chill after a stressful day. The room was a large split-level room with a bathroom to die for. I stayed in Feb and March and to have a heated floor in the bathroom in the morning was just heaven. The breakfast was continental style which you did yourself in the room, but everything you needed was there. If you needed something ,Sally and Mike were on hand to help out in any way and nothing was too much trouble. I would say ,for couples getting away to see Dartmoor ,this is an excellent place to stay. It is central to the moor and it is lovely to come back to in the evening.
A big thank you to Sally and Mike for making my stay a great one with no stress.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We found the oratory on line as a dog friendly b & b, but were very pleasantly surprised at the overall package. Sally and Mike left us a lovely box of mince pies as a welcome present, giving us a hint of how lovely our stay would be. Lovely large spotless bathroom and well equipped split level accommodation, a superb meal at the local pub, The Plume of Feathers, followed a good sleep in comfortable surroundings. A huge breakfast was left for us, catering for our tastes, including that of our 6yr old very picky daughter! Overall , very impressed and will recommend to everyone, thanks again to both owners, a lovely place stay :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in The Chappel Annex at The Oratory for a couple of nights as we were attending a wedding in Dartmoor. It was just a five minute drive from The Two Bridges Hotel where the reception was held and my first visit to Princetown. We walked down to The Prince of Wales pub on our first evening and had a delicious meal - huge portions too! There are many useful places within walking distance, such as the post office.
Sally, our host was very friendly from the moment I spoke to her on the phone to book the room, throughout our stay and even kindly posted some earrings back to me which I had accidentally left behind. The room itself was a real treat - very cosy and unusually set on two levels with separate areas to eat and sleep. We immediately felt at home! I was very impressed by the wide variety of options of breakfast foods available, ranging from toast, cereal, porridge, strawberries and yogurt and pastries such as pain au chocolats! The bathroom is very luxurious, I had never had a bath on legs until this stay and the underfloor heating made the room very warm and cosy, even on a cold late October evening! I will definately be recommending this friendly and cosy B&B to family and friends and hope I am fortunate enough to return myself in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We have just stayed at the Oratory B&B in the Chapel Annex, which I can highly recommend. It's a large yet cosy room with a nice hallway and separate entrance from the main house so you can come and go as you please. The bathroom was a real treat, with a lovely roll top bath, separate large shower and heated floor. The annex was all spotless and nicely furnished. We didn't actually meet Sally until the Sunday morning as we left, but we had good email contact in advance and as we were arriving late she just gave us the code to the key safe, a perfect arrangement. We will definitely go back if we visit the area again.

Room Tip: I recommend the annex for extra space and a great bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to The Chapel at The Oratory? Share your experiences!