Lower Blackaton
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Widecombe in the Moor
See available hotels
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Two Bridges Hotel(Two Bridges)
View Hotel
Bovey Castle Hotel(North Bovey)
View Hotel
The White Hart Hotel(Moretonhampstead)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswould love to go backfarmhouse kitchenlovely housefamily and friendsperfect locationthe barnliving roomjudyagabookscookingvenuetrampolinegatheringpianotoysweather
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The kitchen is the heart of this charming home, with a large gathering table, an Aga to keep you warm - and every conceivable cooking implement. Very homey- lots of books,puzzles, music and games kept all ages busy.

The layout was perfect because it gave everyone their own space as well as places to gather.

It is a perfect base for rambles on the moor and visits to Ruggleston Pub for excellent food! Couldn't have been better.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeanne T
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here at Easter, 3 generations of the family met for a bit of a do. Absolutely first rate. Judy and David were lovely and provided the most wonderful experience from start to finish. I would recommend it for a great break in any weather (the wood burners and Aga compensate for any cold weather).
So many positive aspects to the trip, and no negatives.
Loved it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leshall1971
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I've just returned home from my stag weekend at Lower Blackaton and I must say it was perfect from start to finish.
Judy, who owns the house with her husband David, was extremely efficient and helpful in replying to my (many) emails when I was arranging the trip, and both went out of their way to make sure my mates and I had everything we needed to celebrate my stag weekend in style.
From setting the fire before we arrived - ensuring we had a lovely toasty living room to relax in - to rearranging the sleeping quarters at the last minute (on her birthday), Judy and David couldn't have been more helpful and were as warm, welcoming and charming as their lovely house.
They left us to our own devices, but were always close at hand if we needed anything (the tips and hints on walking routes to local pubs were especially welcome!)
Although there were just nine of us in the end, Lower Blackaton would have slept 13 or more comfortably. My friends and I have stayed in scores of B&Bs over the years - including several large (and more expensive) houses during mini breaks with our respective friends and families - and we all agreed that Lower Blackaton was the best one by far.
What made my stag weekend even more memorable for me was the use of the fabulous recently renovated barn which was the perfect location - and acoustics - for our celebratory evening meal and jazz jam session. We were all taken aback when we stepped inside to find that Judy and David had created the perfect candlelit jazz club atmosphere for us and had laid the table beautifully, ready for us to enjoy the hearty supper which they had prepared for us earlier in the day whist we were messing about in canoes and climbing tors (arranged via local firm Spirit of Adventure who were fantastic). They even served the food for us, which was another unexpected treat.
All-in-all it was a truly memorable stag weekend which I will cherish forever. I thoroughly recommend Lower Blackaton and will be back before too long for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BongoRon
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The most charming house I've stayed in over 20 years of visiting Dartmoor. Its character both solid and warmly inviting. Like our hosts David and Judy. Not least in its charm was the magnificent Aga, that the 6 gentlemen did make great use of in cooking fine roast (local beef from the Bovey butcher) dinners. Fine living room and library of books. And of course well situated for walking and other pursuits in glorious Dartmoor, God's country indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard quieter, and best view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grant D
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I took a group of 17 (well behaved) stags to Lower Blackaton for a weekend of clay pigeons, boozy dartmoor afternoons and a murder mystery night in Blackaton Barn itself.

The accommodation couldn't have been better suited, and Dave and Judy couldn't have been more helpful in accommodating us. Although we were one over the number of beds, they helpfully put up a temporary bed in the barn which worked very well indeed.

The barn itself as an eating, drinking, entertaining and hanging out space was ideal, while Lower Blackaton house was at once cosy, comfortable, spacious and clean.

Although the local pub is a roughly 3 mile walk, you couldn't ask for a better way to start the day than stroll over the glorious countryside which surround Dartmoor, while the nearby amenities - caterers, taxis etc, who were suggested to us by Dave and Judy were well-priced and top quality.

Couldn't recommend a better venue for this type of stay - the memories will live long.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends