“Lovely family run hotel.”

Langstone Cliff Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dawlish
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely family run hotel.”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed here with my husband, 2 children and parents at the end of July 2012. The hotel is family run and the staff were all really lovely from the polite lady on reception the chatty friendly chambermaids and the (quite stressed and overworked) barman. We were booked in for 3 nights into a standard family room and upon arriving at our room we found we only had 2 beds (1 double and one single) for our family of four. I spoke to reception who said it wasn't a problem and they would put an extra bed, I asked where they hoped to put it as the room was already quite cramped but they managed to squeeze a smaller size bed in. I was told that on the following night there was going to be a wedding at the hotel with 200 guests and that our room was directly above where the reception would be so they would do their best to move us. I am so pleased that they did as we were given a ground floor room with large balcony overlooking the pool with a fab sea view! Definitely worth the upgrade if we go again (shame it didn't have air con like the smaller room although it was a much cooler room which helped) Despite the large wedding we had no disruption whatsoever and the staff were still on top form and eager to help. The food was absolutely out of this world! From the buffet style main courses to the amazing dessert and cheese trolley, you could just not fault it. Again, the waiting staff were wonderful (especially the lovely Sandra!) The children ate earlier than us and loved is and were entertained by a wonderful magician one evening whilst we ate. The outdoor pool (a bit 'murky') and gardens are beautiful, the indoor pool great too. There is a lovely walk down and across the train track to the beach with bars, restaurants, go karts etc. We really had a lovely time and would definitely go back. It was pricier than we usually go for (around £550 half board for 3 nights) but the staff and food made it worth every penny. Dogs were welcome t the hotel although we chose to leave ours behind. I do think it would be better if they were kept on leads as I came across a couple of piles of mess but these were picked up promptly by staff. Some owners also allowed their dogs to lie on the sofas in the communal lounges (we sat up and watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics one evening) which I think that is a bit unfair. All in all a lovely break away.

Room Tip: It's worth booking a room overlooking the pool with a balcony as they are much larger than stand...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Spent the Bank Holiday weekend at this hotel. Have to say firstly that the staff were absolutely amazing - probably the most helpful we as a family have come accross having travelled extensively in UK and Abroad. Good facilities - but getting a little dated and restaurant was not up to level hoped for. Good quality food - but menu extremely limited. The holiday totally served our purpose but would probably not return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The breakfasts were terrific and the meals in the bar were superb and were really good value for money.

Our stay was spoilt by the fact that the children's entertainment was on in a room just opposite to the bar and was on at a time that we wanted to have a meal and follow that up with some drinks. The noise from both the children and the entertainers was so loud that it spoilt the enjoyment of the meal and we were unable to stay for very long after we had finished eating as we could not hear what we were saying to each other. Overall it gave the impression of being "Butlins on Steroids", which is a shame as it means that we would not stay here again and are not able to recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the car park with a view of the sea behind it which was great. We also had a bal...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
markatlangstone, Owner at Langstone Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your comments and compliments about the food.

We are sorry you were disturbed by the noise of the children’s entertainer.
As you will be aware during the school holidays we attract a large amount of families and one of the most popular things we advertise and provide is the children’s entertainment.
The entertainers are different on each of 5 evenings they appear each week, as is the show they present, some are louder than others, as they vary from the traditional party with musical chairs and pass the parcel to magicians and balloon artists but they are only here for an hour or so from 8.00pm till 9.00pm during school holidays.

If you were to visit outside the school holiday period there would not normally be an entertainer so you should not be disturbed.

We hope to welcome you again at a quieter time of year.

Devon
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My husband and I have been coming to this hotel for meals and drinks since since we moved to Devon 6 years ago. Our last visit was a week ago when we went for an impromptu drink and supper..... We could not believe how it had changed in resepct of the number of dogs in all of the public places. Don't get me wrong I am an animal lover and dog owner but there was nowhere that we could see to sit and have our meal without the presence of dogs. There were even dogs on the sofas and seats, which I think is wrong. Do guests really want to sit on seats that are potentially covered in dog hair and muck from these animals? I think not.
We have stayed in many hotels where dogs are welcome, and our dogs have been treated very well but there are certain areas where dogs are and are not allowed to go. This way everyone is happy. It also sets down the precedent that guests need to consider other patrons and not treat it like a dog hotel. I would not stop here, even with my dogs and certainly will not come back as a visiting patron until the management set down some proper rules.

4 Thank ValSDevon
Hello,
And thank you for your comments.

Whilst we accept dogs in the hotel and do our very best to make all our guests welcome at all times of the year, we do not actively encourage dogs as we do not wish to be overcrowded with dogs.

We are sorry that on the occasion of your visit, in the peak of the holiday season, that we appeared to have an excessive amount of dogs on the premises however it is unlikely that we would have had more than 3 or 4 dogs staying in the hotel. We would however have at this time of year had in excess of 150 people staying in the hotel plus many more who visit us for drinks, meals, snacks and the myriad other services we provide.
There are rules in place regarding dogs in the hotel and we publish and enforce them. Dogs are not allowed in the restaurant (assistance dogs excepted) so there would not have been any dogs in these rooms. There may have been dogs in the other public areas but it is unlikely with 19 acres of grounds, a large covered Verandah, 4 lounges, 2 bars and 2 restaurants that they were everywhere. We request that hotel guests keep their dogs under control at all times and off the furniture and the vast majority respect these rules.

Once again we are sorry that you were disappointed on the occasion of your last visit and hope you will visit us again in the near future.

We are, in the light of your comments, reviewing our policies and procedures regarding dogs.

Winslow, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I was not able to rate the hotel 'good' as tripadivsor does not provide this option. So even though I've gone for the 'average' rating, in fairness the Langstone Cliff deserves slightly more than this overall.

My wife and I stayed during week beginning August 13th. As we arrived, our first impression was that the hotel grounds were very well kept and tidy, but that the outside of the hotel could do with a lick of paint and general tidy-up. Once inside, we thought that the decor and furnishings were dated, but then my wife and I like contempory simple finishes and clean lines.

The Bedroom.......generally the room and bathroom were well cleaned, although my wife did find evidence of previous guests (such as an empty shower gel container in the shower). As per the rest of the hotel, the decor and finish for us did seem dated. However, the room was comfortable (albeit incredibly hot, and this room had no air conditioning). During the first night of heavy rain the ceiling started to leak. We informed reception the next morning and they immediately saw to it that we were moved to another room. No hassle and excellent customer service. We were even offered assistance to pack up our things and to have our cases carried, which we politely declined but appreciated none-the-less. Our new room was unfortunately just as hot as the last, but this one did have an air conditioning unit. The air-con was not brilliant (ie, never got anywhere near being ice cold even on max) but did just enough to remove the uncomfortableness of the heat. The main problem with the air-con unit was that it was very noisy when operating. We had to turn it off at night as the noise was loud enough to keep us awake!

Breakfast.......The breakfast options at Langstone Cliff are excellent. A nice buffet of cooked items and plenty of cereals, toast, fruit, yogurt etc. Even a selection of croissants, danish pastries, cinnamon rolls etc were provided. I like my eggs poached, but that was not a standard option. So I asked if I could have some poached eggs. The response was "yes of course, how many would you like". A few minutes later I was presented with three poached eggs. Great customer service again! If I had only one suggestion regarding the breakfast, I would say a potato option would be nice (hash browns maybe). However, even without this the breakfast gets five stars from my wife and I.

Swimming Pools and Fitness Room.......The hotel has two pools (one outdoor and one indoor) and a small cardiovascular fitness room with treadmil, cycling machine, cross trainer and stepper machine. As somebody who manages an outdoor pool and an avid gym user, I was very interested in this section of the hotel. The indoor pool was clean and well presented. It was small, but you could still enjoy a comfortable swim and if you get down there at 7.00am when it opens, you may well find the pool is all yours for quite some time. Although I didn't use the outdoor pool, again it looked clean and well presented. I know how hard it can be to keep an outdoor pool clean, so I was impressed by this. Also, there was no real problem with the bubble cover not being put on at night. If the cover is the same as mine, it is used to solar-heat the pool and then keep the heat in. As there was hardly any sun during this week, there was no point in the cover going on. Also, there is no real concern about seagulls swooping down into the pool. The water disinfectant will be enough to deal with that sort of contaminant, and in reality, far more contaminants will enter the water from the children themselves than from seagulls!! The fitness room is very small, but the machines were more than adequate for a good CV workout. However, what about the possiblity of introducing a rowing machine for some upper body work (perhaps instead of the stepper)? Rowers are very popular in gyms and I think this would compliment the other machines perfectly. All-in-all, I was happy with the fitness facilities provided.

And finally.......There was one niggle that put my wife and I off a little, and that was the rule that no food was allowed in the hotel other than that bought from within the hotel itself. We have stayed at a number of guest houses and hotels similar to the Langstone Cliff and have never come across this rule before at this level. The only rule we have ever seen is not to cook in a room, but outside takeaways were fine. Often we have popped down to the local chippy or kebab shop to stock up on goodies, and have taken them back to our room with no issues at all. So we did find this rule put us off if I'm honest.

Would we stay again? Yes, I think so if we were down this area of Devon, and if we could snack in our room :)

1 Thank Matt D
West Midlands
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My two children just loved this place. We had 3 nights in a two room suite, and it was a really enjoyable hark back to the 70s in decor and ambiance. The indoor pool was small but very clean, as was its changing room. The outdoor pool was hugely popular with my children. The hotel is a spit away from the small beach and resort of dawlish warren. The star cross ferry to the bigger beach at exmouth was easily reached by the regular train service. Service was slow but very friendly. Breakfast was great. The children's entertainment in the evening was a huge hit and meant we could eat an adult meal at 8pm in comfort. For all these reasons we would happily return. Unfortunately, the dinners were not up to the rest of the hotel's excellent stsndards. The cooking wasn't actually bad - but it wasn't good either. That said, we had a brilliant 3 days there and regard it as being good value.

• Stayed August 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We get a lot of compliments regarding the food at the hotel but are also very aware that we need to constantly improve and we are reviewing our menus and offerings in order that we may do so.

Partner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
#35 of 87 in Torquay
Royal Castle Hotel
Royal Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dartmouth

Been to Langstone Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!