“poor service”

Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Dawlish
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Here at The Ugly Duckling Restaurant, we pride ourselves on the high standards of our mainly British cuisine and the friendliness of our personal service. Our speciality is our daily carvery, served from 12.00 noon, which also includes our home cooked "Dish of the Day", and on Sundays we have our famous "Four Meat Carvery". The Carvery is in addition to our comprehensive, all day menu. We are open from 8.00am daily,(10.00 on Sundays)for fine coffees, to drink in or takeaway, and traditional breakfasts. We currently open every day except Mondays, and on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through to 7.00pm. We are fully licensed and stock some excellent wines. Look out for our special evenings which include a French night to welcome the Beaujolais Nouveau in November and Burns Night in January. We look forward to seeing you, but you are strongly advised to book if you are coming for lunch.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent food, but we sat for 10 minutes before I got up and spoke to the waitress who had been busy chatting to someone and taking no notice of people coming in and out. One couple left frustrated that no one came to take their order. Our food was fine but the service between courses was terrible - had to ask for attention all the time.

1  Thank Cinnamon2014
Christopher J, Owner at The Ugly Duckling, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

This is unforgivable and we are, needless to say, very concerned about your opinion of our restaurant! We pride ourselves on the standards of both our food and our service. If you read our other feedback, you will see that we get many comments on how great our service is. I am unsure of how many people "came in and out" and were ignored? However, should you feel inclined to come and make yourselves known to us, I would be pleased to apologise to you in person. I will, of course be making our team aware of your comments and will endeavour to make absolutely sure that such a thing never happens again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We popped in here for a coffee and a cake which I have no complaints about. The oreo cake was nice and the drinks were fine.

It seems to be something of a niche market here though. We were the only (relativley) young people in here. There were quite a few pensioners already waiting before midday for the carvery to open, as they do at the Post Office on pension day. As soon as midday came there was a flock of them. (I'm unsure of the correct collective noun for a group of pensioners.) There must have been some deal on the carvery.

The resteraunt is a bit dated but clearly has a big fan base.

There isn't anything wrong with the place, it's just not for me.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our restaurant. Sorry to know that you won't be returning because, at the time there were some older people her, and surely it's a little ageist to be so deprecating about pensioners - you'll be there one day! No, there is never any "deal" on the carvery, it's just excellent food at a very good price. So far as customer base is concerned, we are very family oriented, and our client demographic stretches across all ages. Most of our staff are under twenty, and although I am somewhat older, I am hardly in my dotage! I am interested to note that you thought the décor "Dated". Chrome chairs and butterflies on the cloths dated? Oh well, I obviously am getting old. Please come and see us again... if you can bear it!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is another reliable source of food in Dawlish.

You can get anything from toast for breakfast right up to a nice hot cooked meal.

The food is always nice & enjoyable & prices are fair.

The owners/staff are always very welcoming & friendly.

It can get very busy here at times but I believe you can reserve a table.

restaurant is always clean & tidy.

The Ugly Duckling has a 5 star rating on the scores on the doors.

1  Thank jofromjericho

Thank you for your lovely review of our restaurant. Our customer base grows daily and we are delighted that you like us so much. We look forward to your continued custom.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a carvery here last week and we found this place to be okay, friendly staff also very clean.
But we did find the portion of meat not the best, a bit thin.

Christopher J, Owner at The Ugly Duckling, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sorry to hear that you thought the meat was a bit thin. Most people like our best meats to be carved so, but as the chef is there carving it, you only have to ask for it to be a bit thicker. If, however you mean there wasn't enough, just ask for a bit more, rather than mention it here. Also, when the waiting staff come round and ask if everything is to your liking, mention it to them too. Furthermore, we do have six help-yourself vegetables, two types of potato, Yorkshire pudding, (not just with beef) and thick gravy - all for £6.50. Why not give us another try, and when chef says, "How's that?" ask for more.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stopped by here as couldn't find anywhere reasonable in Dawlish town centre, and was pleasant surprised. Good prices, friendly staff and a really good roast dinner. Being a bit of a fat boy I paid the extra £2 for the super-sized carvery, and was so glad I did. The turkey pie was the best I've ever tasted and the potatoes were perfect. Only downside was it was very hot and stuffy inside, very little ventilation. Will definitely eat there again soon.

1  Thank Nick H

Thanks for taking the time to write about us. So glad you enjoyed your lunch. We have now had the widow catches repaired, so the ventilation has improved as we can open all the windows. Trouble is, the carvery gives off so much heat at lunchtime, we are always fighting a battle to keep the temperature down. When we win the lottery, I will put air conditioning in!