“Great carvery and fantastic service” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Ugly Duckling
Ranked #13 of 51 Restaurants in Dawlish
Cuisines: British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Here at The Ugly Duckling Restaurant, we pride ourselves on the high standards of our mainly British cuisine and the friendliness of our personal service. Our speciality is our daily carvery, served from 12.00 noon, which also includes our home cooked "Dish of the Day", and on Sundays we have our famous "Four Meat Carvery". The Carvery is in addition to our comprehensive, all day menu. We are open from 8.00am daily,(10.00 on Sundays)for fine coffees, to drink in or takeaway, and traditional breakfasts. We currently open every day except Mondays, and on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through to 7.00pm. We are fully licensed and stock some excellent wines. Look out for our special evenings which include a French night to welcome the Beaujolais Nouveau in November and Burns Night in January. We look forward to seeing you, but you are strongly advised to book if you are coming for lunch.
“Great carvery and fantastic service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We came in as the kids spotted the carvery sign. Welcoming and helpful staff. Food was good quality (we had Gammon & Turkey) and a good selection of vegetables with the usual trimmings. Kids really enjoyed it and we would recommend this to anyone looking for a good value carvery at lunchtime. Did get quite busy by 12.30 so clearly popular with the locals too!

• Visited August 2014

Dawlish, United Kingdom
“Give us proper coffee”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Popped into the ugly duckling today nothing to eat just for a latte I do wish these café owners would not advertise as selling latte then bring you out just a large mug of coffee, a disgusting one at that. Asked the young girl who brought it out if we could have extra sugar got my head snapped off. They charge enough won't be going there again.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank christine b
Christopher J, Owner at The Ugly Duckling, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Presumably you sat at one of our outside tables for your coffee? The fact that you were served your latte in a mug is because the local council have decreed that we are not permitted to serve anything in glass receptacles outside. This would have been explained to you. I would be interested to know in what way you found our excellent coffee "disgusting". Our supplier was voted "Taste of the West" this year, and we are constantly being praised for the quality of our coffees as we were all trained by a qualified barista. Furthermore, I sincerely doubt that any of our team would have "snapped your head off" at the simple request for more sugar, as, again we pride ourselves on, and are constantly praised for, the quality of our service. Had you asked to have a word with my wife or myself at the time, you could have made your concerns known to us instead of writing such a scathing report on our super little restaurant.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

A good range of meals for adults and children. Friendly staff and clean premises.A nice outside area which is shady when the sun's too hot.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank CARL B
Taunton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent food, but we sat for 10 minutes before I got up and spoke to the waitress who had been busy chatting to someone and taking no notice of people coming in and out. One couple left frustrated that no one came to take their order. Our food was fine but the service between courses was terrible - had to ask for attention all the time.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cinnamon2014
Christopher J, Owner at The Ugly Duckling, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
This is unforgivable and we are, needless to say, very concerned about your opinion of our restaurant! We pride ourselves on the standards of both our food and our service. If you read our other feedback, you will see that we get many comments on how great our service is. I am unsure of how many people "came in and out" and were ignored? However, should you feel inclined to come and make yourselves known to us, I would be pleased to apologise to you in person. I will, of course be making our team aware of your comments and will endeavour to make absolutely sure that such a thing never happens again!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Popular resteraunt, just not for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We popped in here for a coffee and a cake which I have no complaints about. The oreo cake was nice and the drinks were fine.

It seems to be something of a niche market here though. We were the only (relativley) young people in here. There were quite a few pensioners already waiting before midday for the carvery to open, as they do at the Post Office on pension day. As soon as midday came there was a flock of them. (I'm unsure of the correct collective noun for a group of pensioners.) There must have been some deal on the carvery.

The resteraunt is a bit dated but clearly has a big fan base.

There isn't anything wrong with the place, it's just not for me.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our restaurant. Sorry to know that you won't be returning because, at the time there were some older people her, and surely it's a little ageist to be so deprecating about pensioners - you'll be there one day! No, there is never any "deal" on the carvery, it's just excellent food at a very good price. So far as customer base is concerned, we are very family oriented, and our client demographic stretches across all ages. Most of our staff are under twenty, and although I am somewhat older, I am hardly in my dotage! I am interested to note that you thought the décor "Dated". Chrome chairs and butterflies on the cloths dated? Oh well, I obviously am getting old. Please come and see us again... if you can bear it!