“Lovely friendly place”
Review of The Monkey House - CLOSED

The Monkey House
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We always enjoy our visits tot he Monkey House. The kids have a lovely time and I get to relax a bit. The food is lovely -I recommend the pizzas and their soup always tastes fresh. They also do some very tasty squidgy brownies! The staff are always friendly, welcoming and great with the kids.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a small soft play area tucked away behind the Lawn. It is ok and reasonably clean. The staff are ok, but look a bit unenthusiastic and they are keen to remind you about closing times if you happen to be there in the late afternoon. One woman ordered 4 meals for her children on the next table to me last time I was there. The staff member reminded her they were closing promptly half an hour later, but she started trying to clear the plates away before her children had finished eating and the woman had to step in and tell her not to do that. It wasn't even closing time at this stage and I just thought it looked like terrible customer service. As the only soft ball play area in Dawlish this place is a missed opportunity. It could be a lot better with some investment and friendly staff.

The soft play equipment is looking tired and worn in places, and kids will not be occupied for too long because the frame is small. The food on the menu is the usual type found in soft play areas. I don't mind dropping in there for a coffee and 30 minutes play with the kids, but it isn't somewhere I would purposely seek out as an entertainment venue for children.

1  Thank Leona B
Kathy B, Manager at The Monkey House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thanks for taking time to post a review I appreciate your comments. I am saddened to hear that someone was rushed to finish their meal, food orders stop and hour before close generally to give plenty of time, this may have been an exception, and possibly an early close day (Tues or Sat) We usually remind people of closing times when they enter an hour or less before we close to avoid disappointment. There is usually no rush for them leave however except perhaps on Tuesdays which is early close due to family commitments and private party bookings.

We are looking to replace some of the high use areas that are showing signs of wear and tear and are continually adding, replacing and changing the toys in the new playroom area.

We do find a huge difference in the time children and their family stay and play, some only half hour some all afternoon or all day! It depends on the child and to some degree the mix of other children in at the time with whom they choose to play with.

I hope to see you with us again soon and hope you have a more enjoyable experience - please feel free to make yourself known to me when you come in next.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The soft play is probably better for slightly older children as the majority of it is a bit too challenging for toddlers and certainly for babies, though there is a small area where older babies can play. The food is your usual ho hum play centre food (fried and generally unhealthy and/or not very high quality. Drinks are ok, but I've had much better elsewhere. Although the deluxe hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows is lush! Somewhere good to bring your little ones locally, but not as good as many other soft plays I've been to in the area.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is a gem of a place as not many good soft plays in and around exeter. Better for smaller children 0-5 good deals always lots of little events going on food/ snacks etc... Really reasonable price and pay once you can play no time limit under 1's play free!