“Wonderful quiet location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Brendon B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“Wonderful quiet location”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter and it was a really relaxing stay. The location is very quiet and remote. The highlights are the river and fishing. Don't stay here thinking that you will be in a village. This is a hamlet and we based our stay around the Inn. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed with cable TV with a few channels, and nice and warm during the cold weather. There is free wifi throughout the hotel as there is no phone signal for about 5 miles in any direction. The bar has real ales and great ciders. The food is outstanding and a highlight of the stay. The adjoining area has some wonderful walks along the East Lyn River and Watersmeet is 45 mins stroll downstream. Will return!

Room Tip: Room 7 is a nice room on the side with a glimpse of the river and faces the wooded hillside.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Wiltshire
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I have just spent three nights in the single room at this Inn. I was warned that it was small, and they were not joking ! However, I loved it ! I am used to fitting in wherever I hang my hat and, once I'd sorted myself out was nicely settled in. The meals were excellent, and I had a varied choice - I can recommend the steak and prawns dish, that was first class. The breakfasts were plentiful, and I set off on my walk with a contented stomach.

The staff were friendly and always ready to assist if such was needed.

This inn is set in an idyllic setting, but the only way out is up ! Not that I was bothered with that, as I'd gone there to walk anyway.

I have no hesitation in recommending this inn to everyone, and will certainly be returning in the future. My sincere thanks to you all at the Rockford Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Carnforth
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay, the 320 mile journey was well worth it. The welcome from Sarah and Cathryn was warm and friendly as were the log fires. We stayed in Room, a double En Suite which is very comfortable.
It is easy to say that everything was perfect but our stay was.
The comfort, hosts, beers and wines, location All 5 star.
We hope to return again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Friendly attentive owners. Excellent food, ate there each night of the three. Wonderful location with superb walks that are immediately accessible. Great value. I was very impressed, and started to plan my return before I departed. John_D

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My boyfriend and I have just spent 3 nights at the Rockford; I did not want to leave! Sarah and Cathryn made us feel so at home. The pub is lovely, we ate there every night and the food was fantastic (and so was the wine). We stayed in a charming room (7) which has a side view of the river, and a toilet/shower room.
There are some lovely walks from the Rockford along the river or the coast is a short drive away. If you are considering staying here BOOK IT you won’t be disappointed!!
Thank you Sarah and Cathryn, we hope to see you soon!

2 Thank wanywoo
East Sussex
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights last week. After a 250 mile drive I could help but smile when I saw the Rockford Inn, inside was every bit as inviting. We stayed in room 1 which was very nicely decorated. The only criticism was that the bed was a bit on the hard side. Cathryn was kind enough to leave us an extra duvet to 'soften it' up a bit!
The food, to be frank, was absolutely delicious. My partner had the fish pie and said it was the best she had ever tasted. I had the game pie one evening and it was so good that I had it the following evening! Salt & Pepper prawns - wow!
The walk to Lymouth and back from the Inn is a must and Lynmouth is a lovely little Devonian harbour.
I hope to be coming back soon with my business partner to try the salmon fishing in the river.
Keep up the great work Sarah and Cathryn

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Wow! What a beautiful place ... pretty remote in the valley, just a few houses around.
We had a very warm welcome, guaranteed table for dinner in their bespoke restaurant. Our greatest compliments to the chef - the food was absolutely divine! The best Moules Mariniere I have ever had. The room was nice, warm an clean - just what we needed for a weekend escape.
Thank you!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
The Luttrell Arms
#1 of 9 in Lynton
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wootton Courtenay

Been to The Rockford Inn? Share your experiences!