We stayed at the Rockford for two nights in February 2013. Tucked away in stunning countryside and adjacent to the most picturesque river scenery, it proved to be a cosy and comfortable retreat. We were lucky to enjoy wonderful weather, cold but bright, and the inticing log fire along with good food made the pub a welcome place to relax at the end of a day's walk. As it was reasonably quiet at the time we were there, particularly in the evening, it was lovely to be able to relax after our meal and soak up the peaceful atmosphere of the characterful inn. We also had a great packed lunch made up for us on one of the days. Our hosts were friendly and helpful with just the right amount of attentive service. Our bedroom was clean, quiet and spacious with a most comfortable bed. It was nicely furnished and had a more 'modern' feel than the pub itself. The shower room was a bit chilly (no heated towel rail) and the basin was in the bedroom which was a little inconvenient but easy enough to get used to.
The walks around the Rockford are second to none. You can stick to the river, beautiful as it is, or, as we did on one day, follow the trail to Countisbury and the glorious coastline and then back through ancient woodland to Watersmeet. You will be inundated by such a variety of views and settings from wide open vistas with grazing deer to more intimate and mysterious places that take you to a bygone age.
We highly recommend the Rockford Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traditional 17th-century country inn set in the picturesque Brendon Valley deep in the heart of Exmoor National Park in Devon. Popular with farmers and ramblers alike, this riverside pub overlooks waterfalls and wooded gorges in a remote and isolated spot. We provide simple accommodation, good food, real ales served direct from the cask, log fires and permits to fish for salmon & trout in the East Lyn River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your The Rockford Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rockford Hotel Brendon
- The Rockford Inn Brendon, Devon