“Real Ales, Real Food & Real Fires!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rockford Inn

The Rockford Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Brendon B&B and Inns
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Real Ales, Real Food & Real Fires!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Fantastic place. We spent a weekend here and thoroughly enjoyed both the location and the pub.
Catherine & Sarah work very hard to make sure the Rockford Inn welcomes you and serve up great local ale and food. After a day out walking I really enjoyed curling up in front of the fire before digging in to a lovely meal.
Thank you for a fab weekend. X

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

This country pub is lovely, great woodland setting with a gushing river across the road, perfect pace for a romantic short break on Exmoor, great walks ! Rooms are comfortable and well furnished, dinner and breakfast are very tasty and traditional. A popular stop off for people on their way down to Cornwall, a genuine welcoming country inn, cannot recommend highly enough !

Room Tip: Ring them up, family room great !
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Excellent room, food and hospitality. The food was interesting, great quality and generous portions. The real ale choice was great, nice to taste the beer without gas. The hosts were very willing to help in whatever way the could.

Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Although we only stayed for a drink mid walk this place had everything you would look for in a local pub. Friendly staff, great beer, warm fire and really great character. We took a card as we would definitely return here for a longer stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have to state from the start that I did not stay at The Rockford Inn - but certainly would based on the friendly staff, and great location. It is far enough out in the countryside to feel like you are million miles away from the stresses of life, but equally as close to Lynton and Lynmouth, Porlock and Simonsbath. Really this is in an ideal location if you want to explore lots of country walks.
I'm really writing to say thank you to the lovely lady behind the bar today who served me and family during a family day out. My boyfriend was driving separately to meet us and got lost. Not only did she helpfully direct me to the pay phone, and signal hotspots; she kept my food hot whilst I had to locate lost boyfriend! I really appreciated it, and found this helpful in what could have ruined the day! Thank you so much!
The food was delicious, and my gran, who is a very picky eater ate it all!
Overall I would really recommend this lovely inn.

• Stayed October 2013
Cadgwith
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Just returned from an excellent three-night stay at Rockford Inn. Beautifully and peacefully sited in a steep wooded valley overlooking a turbulent stretch of the River Lynn, this comfortable and homely establishment exceeded expectations in all respects. The Hosts, Cathy and Sarah were 'stars': nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was super (and the daily-changing variety of good cask ales!). We were very impressed!!

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I wish I could rate Rockford inn higher. But unfortunately it started off well then went down hill. My partner & I stayed for 2 nights for my birthday. The room was very nice & comfortable, but there were a few areas that really needed a good dust i.e. the towel rail. The food for the most part was very nice but on our last evening I had a cheese board instead of a desert. I noticed that the piece of Brie didn't look quite right. I know it should be soft & served at room temperature. It was hard I tried a small amount thinking it just hadn't been left out long enough, didn't enjoy it so didn't eat anymore of it. The early hours of the morning I woke with server stomach pains which then turned into a upset stomach. I had to make a 5 hour journey home feeling very distressed & unwell. I know it was the cheese as I ate the same as my partner during the day & the evening meal, other than the cheese board. the other guest who ate in the evening also had the same food but not the cheese board. Its such a shame as we really enjoyed our stay & we were planning on visiting again very soon, but I will find another place to stay in the area to be on the safe side.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Karen A
Mark_Hanrahan, Owner at The Rockford Inn, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hard Cheese? My foot. Here is the rest of the story. You can then make up your own mind about the motivation for this review.

Karen A and her husband did indeed stay with us back on 10th and 11th August, however she has waited nearly 2 months before writing this review on 30 September. Why? Why wait this long? Why not write a review nearer the time of their visit? Maybe there is another reason. Maybe it has had something to do what has happened since their visit.

In many ways they were ideal guests. They had a lovely time and were very courteous, thanking us for the wonderful time they'd had. It was special treat for her husband's birthday, so we made extra sure they were very welcome. They ate with us in the evening, as she says, and retired to bed. In the morning they had a normal breakfast before their departure. All smiles and thank you's. There was no mention of stomach pains or tummy upset at check out time. Later that day, our housekeeper found 2 pairs of shorts which these guests had forgotten to pack. Nothing unusual there, this sometimes happens. These items were then carefully stored away in our "lost items" cupboard. Our policy for items of high value would be to make an effort to contact the guest to inform them. If not we usually wait to see if the guest contacts us. Anyway, Karen A duly rings asking for the shorts to be posted back which we agree to do. At no time was there any offer to re-imbursement us and none was asked. We're not obliged to, but out of kindness the managers agreed and drove 15 miles to and 15 miles back from Minehead Post office. The items were despatched by second class post . Unfortunately our wonderful Royal Mail never delivered them. Naturally Karen wasn't too happy with this. The situation was made worse for Karen when the managers couldn't find the post office receipt. Regrettable, I know and it was a genuine mistake on our behalf. Karen has since telephoned and telephoned, and written no less than 6 emails, the last one being the day before this review. In our last reply we politely stated that there was no more we could do. Then this review gets posted!

I could have asked Tripadvisor to remove this review on the grounds that it was malicious and contradicted their guidelines and they may or may not have agreed. However Im happy to leave this for all to read. Tripadvisor is a brilliant research and information website that relies on accurate and honest reviews. It has been a game changer in that it has encouraged accommodation providers to improve quality and service. However, when reading a negative review there are sometimes two sides to the story. One of the pointers to checking a review for fairness is to see if the reviewer is a regular Tripadvisor Reviewer. Fair reviewers tend to leave good reviews when they are deserved, and, will have reviewed on multiple occasions. At this point in time this is Karen A's one and only review.

Please read the other 100+ reviews and make up your own mind about the cleanliness here and quality of food served at The Rockford Inn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
Rock House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Countisbury
The Notley Arms Inn
The Notley Arms Inn
#1 of 2 in Monksilver

Been to The Rockford Inn? Share your experiences!