“A Fantastic Base Point for a Short Break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brendon
The Stag Hunters Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brendon
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was our first trip back to the Stag Hunters for almost 12 years. The welcome from Richard and his family was very warm., Rooms are very comfortable and the food and drink was excellent.
Looking forward to returning in October with the children.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Had a fantastic two night stay. Really friendly hosts, very comfortable rooms and we were made to feel very welcome. Food in the restaurant was lovely, especially the local meat and fish. Definately will return!

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Visited on Thursday 4th August 2011. We arrived at our B&B in the early evening and asked where the nearest place was to eat. Our B&B hosts suggested here and said it wasn’t necessary to book. On arriving at 8:20pm we noticed that they served food until 9pm. We asked for a table for six and were met with a gruff response along the lines of “I’ll have to check if it’s OK with the kitchen”. Bar man returned and told us it was, so long as we ordered straightaway. And boy, did he mean straightaway. With notepad and pen at the ready bar man was unwelcoming to say the very least. When my husband attempted to order a starter he was abruptly told we couldn’t have starters. If it wasn’t for the fact we’d travelled a long way and didn’t know the area we would have walked out there and then. Food was good, nothing to complain about, but nothing special either. Waitresses popped their heads round the door every few minutes to see if we’d finished eating. Nothing unusual in that I suppose but given the hostile “welcome” it made me feel as though we should be wolfing our food down.
I’ve read the other reviews for the Stag Hunters and am very aware that our experience is amongst the minority as we definitely didn’t receive the warm welcome and level of service most other reviewers have reported. Was it because we had children with us? At 11 and 13 they are hardly babies and are very used to eating out. I can only conclude that the regular staff/owners were away because the white haired man behind the bar couldn’t give a damn about this group of six.
Would we venture there again? Never.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Fabul0usF0ur
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Thank you for your review. I am the white haired gent who misserved you that evening, while I am pleased that you enjoyed your food I can only apologise for spoiling your night. It was not my intention to be gruff or discourteous in any way.
My kitchen staff had been working flat out, hence the need to enquire as to whether they could cater for a family of 6 at that time. A board in the bar states 8.20pm last orders for starters, 8.30pm for mains, so I was relieved they would take your order, albeit without starters. The b&b you stayed in misled you, as at this time of year booking is essential, especially for larger parties (six is considered a large party in smaller establishments such as ours). We were also hosting our fortnightly quiz night, which would have commenced at 8.30pm so the waitresses were keen not to leave crockery on the tables.
All are welcome at the Staghunters, including children of all ages, and of course we care about our customers, our business is hospitality.
On occasions, when we are very busy ,there is, sadly, little time to engage in conversation, much as we would like to - this is not a sign that we don't care.
I would very much like you to return , if only to have the chance to apologise in person.
Kind regards, Richard [Basil].

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just returned from 2 relaxing days away staying at the Stag Hunters. The family were very nice. The room was very clean and comfortable and looked out towards the river. Breakfast was very good you had choice of fruit and cereal plus english breakfast or kippers and toast and jams etc I dont normally eat breakfast but did love the bacon beans and sausages with some toast. couldnt manage cereals and fruit as well....had a great steak with scrummy stilton sauce one night and Chilli the other evening, hubby really enjoyed the Steak burgers. We did the walk down to Watersmeet and then on to Lynmouth and back again it was a lovely walk if a bit steep in some places coming back (spotted 3 Red Deer). This place is really good for walkers as there are lots within the area, some meaning you can leave you car behind and walk straight from the hotel.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Good: welcome, accomodation, breakfast, beers, service.
Variable: dinner.
Outstanding: moorland walks direct from the inn.

Room Tip: Front:overlooks river and quiet road. Rear: the moor. 2 (?) rear rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We travelled to Brendon on a family tracing expedition and were going to stay herebut decided to move on at the last minute. We had a quick drink here and can only say that Richard was great. He listened to us going on about our family tree ( at length ) and even supplied us with a map to help us on our way. Just super service and so friendly. Oh by the way Richard, I found out that a family member married into the Floyd family back in the 1800's!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Our second trip to the Staghunters which won't be our last. We take advantage of the half board deal and the breakfast is superb as is the two course evening meal. I can recommend the locally sourced rainbow trout and my wife is a great fan of the cumberland sausages. The rooms are very pleasant and I woke up to the best dawn chorus I've ever heard. The walking in the area is superb and I especially recommend the walk up Badgworthy Water and back over Brendon Common and Tippacott Ridge. The 'kingfisher viewing area' - that's riverside beer garden to you and me - is very beautiful and trout are to be observed in the crystal clear water. A fine selection of ales, ciders and wines at surprisingly reasonable prices combined with a welcome from the Wyburn family makes a stay in this enchanted valley an experience you will wish to repeat.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front look out over the beer garden and river with a spectacular view of the wooded...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
The Luttrell Arms
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath
Exmoor Manor Hotel
Exmoor Manor Hotel
#5 of 9 in Lynton

Been to The Stag Hunters Hotel? Share your experiences!