“A real rest haven”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brendon
The Stag Hunters Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brendon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A real rest haven”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Having stayed there 3 nights i must say the welcome we got from the staff was excellent and the food was delivered to a very high standard with all needs met i.e veggi, and the room we stayed in was newly decorated with a bath to die for.
There were walks all around aswell with there breath taking views, Waters meet, lynton, The Ale they served would be the best you would drink around very reasonably priced.
I must agree with some reviews i would i liked to have sat in the restaurant for evening meals but it still was'nt a problem has the bar was very spaceous and warm with the output of heat from the nice log burner, The owners and the staff really could'nt do enough for us all and for that i would highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone for a real nice chill of a break to get back to basics and really appreciate what we have in our country.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the garden on the 1st floor Excellent views
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Mendip Hills Somerset
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Hubby and I visited while staying on Exmoor and required an evening meal. We were made welcome as walk ins and waiting staff were very attentive, even though clearly quite busy. Hubby had and excellent liver and bacon and I have a great scampi and chips. Reasonably priced and well served.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Tigi_Higgins
Boston
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Having stayed for three nights in May 2013 we found this small inn to be a great place with terrific food , large portions and welcoming staff. Rooms were excellent, clean, airy and light and appear recently decorated. My only criticism is that 'dessert' should not be charged as an extra to a DBB booking and perhaps the restaurant should be open in the evenings rather that having to eat in the bar and having to order at the bar, Gardens are tidy and the wildlife in them are great. Also , although I am a dog lover myself I do not believe dogs should be allowed in the eating area. However, for the rate we paid we would most definitely return.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We arrived at 1pm midweek in May for lunch to find an empty bar that was lacking any sort of atmosphere due to a lack of humanity. Within 10 minutes a party of vintage car enthusiasts turned up and had the place buzzing.

We were greeted by a very friendly soul behind the bar who even offed me a choice of beer glasses. There were three menus on offer, my wife went for liver and bacon while I went for a steak burger and chips from the £6 chip menu.

The wife was very impressed with her liver and bacon and rated it as a 5* meal while I was somewhat disappointed with my 2* 6oz steak burger in a bun and chips. The problem was that was it, no lettuce, no tomato, no relish, no onion no nothing just a burger in a bun and ample chips. Also I was expecting a burger that looked and tasted homemade. This one had the consistency of a birds eye quarter pounder which left me under whelmed.

Looking at what other people were eating I think I made a poor choice and would recommend to others that the burgers are avoided unless you are into a bland meal.

Another day and a different choice and this might have been a 5* review.

On the plus side there was no issues bringing our dog into the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
A tale of two lunches.
I can assure all potential lunchers at our establishment that our burgers are made by a local butcher and bear no comparison with mass produced products. The £6 menu is exactly what it says, in this instance.a burger in a bap with chips. A side salad is available complete with a choice of relish at a very modest price.
We are very proud of our extensive lunch menus, if there is anything you are unsure about you only need to ask.
Reviewed 28 May 2013

OK Weekend breakers out there...This is a gem of a place. The journey to the hotel is stunning from either approach. The hotel sits on the banks of the river has ample parking and the setting is superb. The welcome is warm, the family that run the establishment are very kind and accommodating people.
The beer (and cider) are good. The food is hot and does the job well after a day out walking. The power shower in our room was the best I have used in any hotel (I have used many hotels in my time). We walked along the river to Lynmouth...it took around 2.5 hours one way (we did stop at the Rockford for a beer en route)! On our return the place was full of happy people eating and enjoying the place. Our room was at the back of the hotel and clean and bright. The landlord and his family really care about your experience and do everything they can to make you feel welcome and a valued guest.
I have given this hotel 5 Stars - because of the whole experience - if you are looking for a true 5 Star hotel - check yourself into the Ritz... This is a perfectly charming, superbly positioned hotel in character with the surrounding area and I will always recommend the place and will definitely return. No phone signal, no hustle, just the great outdoors and a bunch of people that are there to enjoy the breathtaking surroundings...it's a perfect place to return to after a days exploring - ohh and the breakfast hits the spot too! Thank you very much. Jason and Amanda (and the pooches)

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week with our fourteen and a half year old dog who is not at all agile now.We were given an lovely upstairs room with a four poster bed looking out to the front of the house and the East Lyn river. During the evening my husband had to take our dog outside and then carry her back upstairs, not an easy task as she is very heavy, because she couldn't manage them. Wendy, who owns the Inn, with her husband, Richard noticed this and the next morning we were offered a downstairs room for which we were more than grateful. All we had to do was pack our bags and by the time we got back from a lovely day out they were waiting in our new room. I cannot imagine many if any other place doing this. No four poster bed but one which was very comfortable. The bathroom was newly refurbished and the whole place spotlessly clean. The breakfast and evening meals were freshly cooked to order and the food was lovely and there was plenty of it. One would never go hungry at The Stag Hunters. We cannot praise Wendy, Richard, their family and their staff highly enough. They were so warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. You only had to ask for something and it was done. We had a lovely time there with lovely people and will definitely go back. I cannot understand the people who were 'greeted rather oddly' and complained about everything. There is nothing to complain about in an establishment such as this. Perhaps they do not like to greeted with a friendly, welcoming smile.

2 Thank hopingone
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were staying here at the same time as the above who have given a poor review. We had a totally different experience and would highly recommend this hotel. We witnessed their arrival in the restaurant and overheard some of the conversation. All I can say is that they were the only ones who had a problem. Everyone else who stayed at the same time loved the hotel and the family who own it. They behaved as if they were better than the rest of us and avoided any attempts at eye contact or conversation. Thank goodness they left early and we could all relax again. Please visit this lovely place to make up your own mind.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words, they were very uplifting after a very busy time.

And whilst responding to your review I hope you don't mind if I take the opportunity to thank all the reviewers who say such nice things. Wendy myself and the team really appreciate it and would love to see all of you again.

Best wishes,
Richard.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
The Luttrell Arms
#5 of 5 in Lynmouth
Simonsbath House
Simonsbath House
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath

Been to The Stag Hunters Hotel? Share your experiences!