The Stag Hunters Hotel
US$182
US$127
US$160
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsstag huntersfamily runthe rivermany timesother guestspool tablehome from homesteak burgerowners and stafftwo sonsfor sunday lunchexmoor goldexmoor alevenisongreat weekendshort breakthe pub
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This was our first stay at the Staghunters, but not our first visit, as we have often dined here when staying in a local cottage, but as there was 4 of us this time we booked the entire stay at the staghunters, and we were glad we did!! The rooms were comfortable and with the lovely balcony the ideal place to enjoy your morning brew. But what really makes this place deserve it's 5 star rating is the staff. They are wonderful, helpful, friendly and nothing is too much for them and all members of our party were treated as good friends (including our four legged members!!) the food was lovely, and all cooked to order, but a few pounds may have been gained during this stay!! Everything you expect from a country pub but also a great homely feel, so great thanks to everyone for really making this a great visit, and I am sure we will be back as soon as we can!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Having stayed there 3 nights i must say the welcome we got from the staff was excellent and the food was delivered to a very high standard with all needs met i.e veggi, and the room we stayed in was newly decorated with a bath to die for.
There were walks all around aswell with there breath taking views, Waters meet, lynton, The Ale they served would be the best you would drink around very reasonably priced.
I must agree with some reviews i would i liked to have sat in the restaurant for evening meals but it still was'nt a problem has the bar was very spaceous and warm with the output of heat from the nice log burner, The owners and the staff really could'nt do enough for us all and for that i would highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone for a real nice chill of a break to get back to basics and really appreciate what we have in our country.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the garden on the 1st floor Excellent views
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Hubby and I visited while staying on Exmoor and required an evening meal. We were made welcome as walk ins and waiting staff were very attentive, even though clearly quite busy. Hubby had and excellent liver and bacon and I have a great scampi and chips. Reasonably priced and well served.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tigi_Higgins
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Having stayed for three nights in May 2013 we found this small inn to be a great place with terrific food , large portions and welcoming staff. Rooms were excellent, clean, airy and light and appear recently decorated. My only criticism is that 'dessert' should not be charged as an extra to a DBB booking and perhaps the restaurant should be open in the evenings rather that having to eat in the bar and having to order at the bar, Gardens are tidy and the wildlife in them are great. Also , although I am a dog lover myself I do not believe dogs should be allowed in the eating area. However, for the rate we paid we would most definitely return.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We arrived at 1pm midweek in May for lunch to find an empty bar that was lacking any sort of atmosphere due to a lack of humanity. Within 10 minutes a party of vintage car enthusiasts turned up and had the place buzzing.

We were greeted by a very friendly soul behind the bar who even offed me a choice of beer glasses. There were three menus on offer, my wife went for liver and bacon while I went for a steak burger and chips from the £6 chip menu.

The wife was very impressed with her liver and bacon and rated it as a 5* meal while I was somewhat disappointed with my 2* 6oz steak burger in a bun and chips. The problem was that was it, no lettuce, no tomato, no relish, no onion no nothing just a burger in a bun and ample chips. Also I was expecting a burger that looked and tasted homemade. This one had the consistency of a birds eye quarter pounder which left me under whelmed.

Looking at what other people were eating I think I made a poor choice and would recommend to others that the burgers are avoided unless you are into a bland meal.

Another day and a different choice and this might have been a 5* review.

On the plus side there was no issues bringing our dog into the bar.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

A tale of two lunches.
I can assure all potential lunchers at our establishment that our burgers are made by a local butcher and bear no comparison with mass produced products. The £6 menu is exactly what it says, in this instance.a burger in a bap with chips. A side salad is available complete with a choice of relish at a very modest price.
We are very proud of our extensive lunch menus, if there is anything you are unsure about you only need to ask.