“A Great Weekend!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brendon
The Stag Hunters Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brendon
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I am not usually given to writing reviews, but credit where it is due - the welcome in this hotel was very warm and friendly; our room was comfortable and clean; the dinner and breakfast was very good; and the location is attractive and peaceful, with immediate access to a footpath network that provided a weekend of fabulous walking!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2013

After a long (and hot) journey from the East Midlands, we were relieved to finally arrive at the Stag Hunters Hotel. We received a very warm welcome and shown to our room, which was very fresh and clean and had everything we needed for a 2 night stay with 2 energetic Spaniels. The power shower was a real bonus to cool down after some long walks with the dogs!

The location is ideal, easy to find yet still far enough off the beaten track to feel you can enjoy the countryside.
We arrived mid afternoon on a Sunday and were able to walk the dogs through the specially designated field at the rear of the hotel before sitting outside to enjoy a drink beside the brook. We were made to feel very welcome and the staff could not have been more friendly, even down to providing water for our dogs.
We found that a table had been pre-booked for our evening meal at the restaurant, which was popular amongst the locals, the sticky toffee pudding is not to be missed!

We were up bright and early for a day out to Lynmouth/Lynton (10mins away by car) and very much enjoyed the breakfast. Every taste was catered for whether you fancied a full English, kippers or just some cereal. Some fresh fruit to pick from would have been nice, however there was grapefruit and a selection of juices to choose from.

All in all, a very enjoyable and relaxed stay in a lovely area and hotel. The staff were brilliant, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The dogs loved it and we wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Spent a night here with my dog en route to Appledore, taking a trip down memory lane.... Loved the peaceful valley, the friendliness of the owners and the comfortable room plus power shower. Lovely food and a warm welcome, such a change from impersonal modern hotels. I hope to introduce the hotel to my family one day soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I last stayed here in December 2012 when 10 of us stayed on a working trip. The rooms were all clean and fresh without being standardised and uniform. The views from the rooms are stunning and the cooked breakfast is excellent. I know the owners are in the process of upgrading the rooms but even the older ones are more than acceptable. I am slighty biased as I love the Stags and its character, so I feel a better recommendation is that all my colleagues have decided to visit again this year as they enjoyed the Stags and surrounding area so much. I eat here regularly and the quality of food is always good, and as I am one of those people who insist I bring my dog in with me so I apologise to those who take exception to this. However this is dog and walking country and it is unusual not to find dogs in many of the pubs which all serve food as well.
Richard, Wendy, Simon and James are always friendly and welcoming and really care about their guests and for me that counts more than having a place with no character that appeals to those with an avertion to a few dogs or who like the blandness of many modern hotels.
Derek

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review, it renews our faith in human nature and reaffirms our belief that we are on the right track.
Warm regards, Richard, Wendy, Simon, James and the team.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Staghunters 40 years ago and although we have been back a few times since we thought it would be nice to celebrate our Ruby Anniversary there. Whilst the food was very good and staff very friendly the room had not been updated for years with many cobwebs about the place and room very tired. We had three nights and came away feeling rather puzzled and upset by all this especially when other guests we were talking to were full of praise for their smart rooms. Although we booked 5 months ahead to be sure of a good room for our special occasion we missed out on this. It would seem that speaking with the owner on our return home that many people book from year to year in fact the whole 12 rooms must have done this. So from this it seems that to be sure of a good room you need to book a year ahead. The owner also said that we were unfortunate. Shame she didn't say that we would be unfortunate back in January! We will remember our Anniversary for the wrong reasons.

Room Tip: Book at least a year ahead and make sure it's not room 15
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clive t

We are totally confused by this review since the elderly couple concerned seemed very happy during their stay even signing the visitors book, and I quote ---

" SUPER TIME, THANK YOU."

No complaints or observations were made at the time, on the contrary they appeared delighted.
When the booking was discussed, Room 15, a four poster overlooking the river with a new en suite bath/shower was more than acceptable.
It seems obvious that they spoke with guests enjoying one of the 3 double rooms with balconies,
they then went home, became somewhat embittered, and felt that they should have stayed in one of these bedrooms.
Cobwebs are not a feature of that or any of our rooms.
Lots of regular guests request Room 15!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Booked in advance for dinner for two. Food was average, but the evening was really spoiled by the presence of a total of eight dogs in the restaurant, The one at the next table was big enough to open its jaws and swallow someone and was quite intimidating.. I was more than surprised that dogs were allowed at all in a restaurant which boasts of its excellence.tHe garden would have been more suitable for them. Put us right off as we hasd to listen to panting, and also to owners disciplining their pets. What a shame. Ruined our evening.

f

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Exmoormaid
staghunters, Owner at The Stag Hunters Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

I am sorry your fellow diners spoilt your intimate evening but I feel your complaint is with them, unless you expect us to ban dogs from the Inn. You need to understand that you are in the countryside where some customers enjoy coming to relax and enjoy their evening with like minded people and their canine family.
We do not boast about anything, however we do take a pride in what we do and I think my chefs are first class and you dined in the bar lounge not the restaurant.
To any future potential diners, please request to eat in the restaurant if you do not enjoy the company of dogs.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have eaten at this hotel many times over the years but this time decided to stay for four nights and enjoy the whole ambiance! I was not disappointed everything that has been said before I agree with.
I had a lovely single room with superb shower room and no single supplement! That in itself is very welcome to the single traveler who frequently gets charged a supplement despite not occupying a double room. My beagle Molly was very welcome too. The setting is spectacular on the banks of the East Lynn and there is a magnificent garden available to guests.

I don't understand one or two comments about the welcome received as Richard, Wendy, James and Simon could not have been more welcoming. The food is all home made and abundant. Breakfast is a delight taken in the residents dining room overlooking the garden. My only query is why this room is not available for dinner? Although the pub bar is large it can get very busy and sometimes very difficult to get a table if you are not a guest. Dogs are welcome everywhere other than the resident's dining room and garden. If you don't like dogs don't go.

Finally various offers are available which include the evening dinner and they are very good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dalehound
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
The Luttrell Arms
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath
Exmoor Manor Hotel
Exmoor Manor Hotel
#5 of 9 in Lynton

Been to The Stag Hunters Hotel? Share your experiences!