We drove from Kent in the pouring rain to stay over the May bank holiday weekend (Saturday - Tuesday). After a really long journey we finally arrived and were delighted with the welcome we received. I'd booked the non-electric tent pitch before hand over the phone in field 1 which they try to keep dog free. We pitched our brand new tent in the drizzle (thankfully no bits were missing!), which was easy enough although the ground had quite a bit of slate/rock so getting the tent pegs in was a bit of a wiggle job.
There is an onsite take-away (fish & chips), a cafe/restaurant, a family bar with (free) indoor soft play area and a bar/restaurant with large screen TVs and they were showing football in there. We decided to eat in the cafe/restuarant which was fine. On Saturday evening they had mini disco for the children which went down well with our 4 and 6 year olds and on Sunday at 10am they had Captain Coconut making enormous bubbles in the family bar which again our kids really enjoyed.
The shower block on our field was lovely and warm with individual shower cubicles that had a plastic stool/seat that you could move about to put your clothes on to keep them dry as well as a couple of hangers on the back of the door. The water was on a sensor system which went off after a good few minutes but that was fine. We did go to the block in field 2 on our last day and they didn't seem so modern as in field 1 but were more than adequate and were spotlessly clean which was amazing with the amount of rain that we had.
There is a laundry room adjacent to each shower/toilet block with wasing up sinks and washing machines and tumble dryers. The block in field 1 had 10 washing up sinks in!
We used the swimming pool on site which was at a charge of £1.60 per person and i thought that was thoroughly reasonable.
Our daughters enjoyed the Petorama - especially the ferret racing on Sunday evening! They saw a duck hatching from its shell and held baby rabbits. My eldest daughter even enjoyed handling the mice! There were also kittens, puppies, lambs, turtles and many others i can't recall.
The highlight though for our girls was a 10 minute pony ride in the adjacent stables costing £5.
The onsite shop was well stocked and not over priced at all serving everything from magazines, freshly baked bread to toiletries and kids games.
We saw 2 outdoor kids play areas. The one near the take away and shop only had a slide as the seats for the swings had been taken down but the one near the swimming pool was large and on a field set aside for children to play in (and shielded off from the camping fields by mature trees).
The location is just a few miles from Combe Martin beach and Ilfracome is a short drive away where there is a big Tesco as well as town, harbour and a few shops.
The only downside for us was that it is not nearer to where we live as i can imagine we would be regular visitors if so. the next time we go to North Devon we will definately stay here but for longer than 3 nights as it just wasn't long enough. Also be aware we couldn't get a mobile signal at all for the whole weekend (EE network) so bear this in mind if you need to be contacted whilst away.
I did take some photos and will try and upload them once the review has been published (although i'm not sure if that's possible).
All in all I would highly recommend this site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of north Devon, a mile from the nearest main road along its own private drive, Stowford Farm Meadows has a superb rural setting. There are 500 acres of rolling Devon countryside, mature woodland and lush green meadows. The site makes an ideal base for exploring outstanding scenery and family attractions.Here is a summary of our excellent facilities:- Indoor heated swimming pool- Shop for food & supplies- Take-away cafe & 'The Wild Pheasant' - Old Stable & Old Barn bars - Family orientated entertainment - Horse riding centre -Kiddies cars - Petorama undercover Mini-Zoo - 9-hole fun golf - 9 -hole crazy golf - Sports field and play areas - Disabled washroom facilities - Family bath and shower rooms - Fully equipped laundry rooms - Extensive waymarked woodland walks - Caravan sales, servicing and repairs - Caravan accessories shop ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with PitchUp so you can book your Stowford Farm Meadows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stowford Farm Meadows Hotel Combe Martin
- Stowford Farm Meadows Combe Martin, Devon