“Wish I'd read the reviews first !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Combe Martin
Newberry Valley Caravan & Camping Park
South Devon, UK
“Wish I'd read the reviews first !”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We picked this place and we booked two pitches for our family and relatives to have a few days break. The website looked good, we know the area so all good.....Unfortunately, we could not have two pitches together as "we'd left it too late" only giving a couple of weeks notice but "they would be close". We were also told that there was a minimum of 3 days booking. We checked in together and again, mentioned it was a shame that they weren't close together but nothing positive came back from the reception. We got our pitches, at least 3-400 yds apart and were informed to be "gone by 10 on the day of checkout as we're busy and need to prepare your pitch for the next people", Sorry but that's like clearing my plate away while I'm still eating my meal and was not a good start. We hadn't even opened the boot to get the tent out! The pitch next to our relatives was not used all the time we were there so we could have been together rather than having to run up and down with our stuff each evening. There were other pitches closer together that remained empty for the whole of our stay. In the morning we witnessed people packing up their tents with the wardens sat there on their lawnmowers revving their engines waiting, not nice, if anything it's intimidating and really not neccessary. I guess this all sounds like small detail but it was enough for me to write this review so it's made an impression on me.

The amenities are very good, the best I've seen at a campsite, just unfortunately let down by the atmosphere created by the staff. I'd personally rather stay elsewhere where the people are more welcoming, friendly and accommodating and suffer a long drop toilet and a hosepipe for a shower.

Read more reviews of the site, perhaps it was just our experience. I can't imagine a quality campsite like this would manage to sustain itself too long if everyone had similar experiences.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jodola

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I'm not going to waste time writing too much about this campsite as I feel I've wasted enough money on them. Title says it all.

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank Bhjaycock
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 August 2004

i must admit we turned up late to the site as my partner didnt finish work till late it was the first site we came to and we were very tired from travelling, as we couldnt find the owner we pitched the tent as we have done on many occasions when finding a site at that time of night, it wasnt full in fact it was quite empty. we awoke in the morning and sat outside the tent getting ready to go to reception to pay when an old woman approached not saying a word when i asked if she was the owner she was very rude saying in no circumstances should we pitch at night , i appologised and tried to explain but she continued to be rude so we paid and left, my friend also had the same experience a couple of weeks earlier.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dawn F, Owner at Newberry Valley Caravan & Camping Park, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
This review is now out-dated as the campsite changed ownership in 2006.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Combe Martin
Combe Martin Beach Holiday Park
Hele Valley Holiday Park
Hele Valley Holiday Park
#2 of 25 in Ilfracombe

Been to Newberry Valley Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!