“Very pleasant visit”

Ranked #6 of 8 Exford B&B and Inns
Brent
“Very pleasant visit”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We were totally satisfied with our stay in November 2012. Following a warm welcome, we were given a very warm and comfortable en suite room and were provided with excellent breakfasts each day. Particularly wanting to stay in an old place, we liked the charm and ambience of Edgecott Cottage.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We are sorry Karen had an unenjoyable time here, especially as our stay was so good. There were six of us, and we were made to feel immediately welcome with tea and biscuits, and with the fact that they had moved their car out into the road so that we could park our two cars off-road. We were given front-door keys, so we could come and go as we pleased. Though not quite in the centre of Exford, we found the 5-10 minute walk rather pleasant. Our rooms were nice, and very warm and comfortable. We all slept brilliantly in the complete peace and quiet. In the morning we were all spoiled rotten with the most plentiful and delicious breakfast, which kept us going practically all day! We were also shown genuine friendliness as we shared information about our families, and Mrs Atkins revealed her love for the Exmoor way of life. There appeared to be a problem with one of the showers, but that was the only minus point in an otherwise perfect stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Bodmin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My partner and I spent 3 nights in B & B on Exmoor last week, two places were brilliant and I have recommended them but sadly our last night was the most expensive and not to be recommended for the following reasons;
I phoned during the day to ensure the proprietor was expecting us to which the response was " Oh I had forgotten you were coming I am not geared up to bed and breakfast now". She had accepted an off season booking and I had confirmed it by email. On arrival the proprietor was not overly friendly and we were shown to a very cold austere looking room which very obviously had not been prepared for us, we were offered a cup of coffee but no drinks making facilities were available in the room nor were we asked when we would like breakfast which is usual custom.We had to ask for spare toilet rolls as only a little bit in the room and there was also a big lack of privacy as the conversation downstairs between the owners could very clearly be heard by us as the ceiling was very thin. I turned the radiator up but the room never warmed up all night and I ended up sleeping in my clothes. I am normally a warm person who struggles to keep cool so shows you how bad it was. At breakfast we mentioned that we had been cold to which the response was there were blankets in the wardrobe ( would have been helpful if that had been mentioned the night before) and when we said it was the room that was so cold she laughed and said" Oh well we are used to that on Exmoor". She obviously then sensed our displeasure, although we were not at all rude just upset at having been cold all night, and proceeded to serve breakfast in what can only be described as a flounce. She really made us feel as if we were in the way and was clearing up breakfast as we ate it which I thought very rude, as if we were being hurried along. It then transpired that she was off to work at a local school so my hunch was right that we had made her late. all in all we paid £4.00 per night extra each and had a very unwelcome and uncomfortable experience whereas the other two Silcombe Farm at Porlock and Hillshaed House in Lynmouth were cheaper and a really lovely welcoming experience therfore I wwwould recommend staying somewhere else. If they did not want winter visitors they should not have accepted the booking

Room Tip: Don't bother staying