Expected more, my opinion on arriving was one of general malaise. Shown to our room which initially looked bright and clean, but the bathroom had a stained and grubby toilet. The chap who I guess was in charge immediately sent a girl with cloth and spray to clean it give credit where credit is due and also offered to move us to another room. With the thought in my head if the toilet was not clean what else will be wrong, we decided to move to the other room, the man said it was a little dated again fair enough to forewarn us, he obviously knew it wasn't up to standard. It was very dated, especially the awful bathroom, dated, cigarette burn on bath (shows how dated, days of smoking in the room) stained at the bottom shower curtain, old fashioned shower attachment over dire bath dirt or mould on shower lead no idea which didn't like to look too hard scared what I would find so on so on. It was late we had driven a long way and we had a dog, it was also during the heatwave so whereas on another occasion would have left immediately we just couldn't we did say we would leave the next day and not stay the 2 days we had booked for. Bed although a large four poster was lumpy and there was a musty smell in room sheets on bed looked clean and fresh did not look any further. It was not cheap and no cheaper than the previous place we had stayed which was perfect 10/10 on every single count. So it was a huge disappointment especially as it was the last place we stayed and everywhere else had been 100% tip top. Had booked for bed breakfast and evening meal but was scared senseless to eat there in case the kitchen was anything like the bathroom. Didn't see it so cannot make judgement just used the usual rule if the bathroom/toilet isn't right then the kitchen might not be either. So had no evening meal, my partner did. Following morning had no breakfast. The man charged bed and breakfast despite not having any and did not charge for my evening meal fair enough on that count. There were lots of little things like grubby stains on the doors in public areas where handles are etc. To my mind it was all very depressing and drab and overpriced maybe once it was very nice but it just seemed again in my opinion to have lost any glory days if it ever had any. The man had been responsive so was obviously aware there were defects and he was friendly its a shame really it, in my opinion again, needs someone with lots of time and money to bring this place up and really I would have been utterly embarrassed to have charged anyone anything for that stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th-century family-run coaching inn at the heart of the Exmoor National Park. Great food, real ales, fine wines, log fires & friendly atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Book Direct Rooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Crown Hotel, Exford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crown Hotel, Exford Hotel Exford
- The Crown Hotel, Exford Exmoor National Park