“Really excellent food and service”

The Crown Hotel, Exford
Ranked #2 of 8 Exford B&B and Inns
United Kingdom
“Really excellent food and service”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Popped in for lunch and was only expecting a bar snack. What a surprise, really top notch food.

The chap behind the bar who was also the waiter was really friendly and helpful. They had an excellent specials board and main bar menu.

I had the wild boar and apple sausages with mustard mash and onion gravy , delicious. Nice and hot , well cooked meat and proper mashed potatoes ( a large helping). My husband had the pan fried plaice with butter sauce and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Only wish we had room for a sweet.

Will definitely be stopping by again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RetiredRovers
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments and we are glad you enjoyed your lunch. All our food is freshly cooked to order and locally sourced where possible. We like to think we offer better food than your normal 'pub grub'.

We hope to see you again and maybe next time there will be room for pudding!

Best wishes - Sara, Dan & Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Didn't stay there but popped in for a meal and thought it would be just normal pub grub, how wrong I was!! The food was delicious and it was a great atmosphere with the staff & locals chatting away, talking about the beautiful location etc... My sirloin steak was the best I've tasted in a long while (normally a Fillet girlie!) and going with a "Veggie" it sometimes is difficult but their menu catered for everyone, they actually had imagination for the veggie lovers - he was very happy with his food too! We received our food really quickly and the price was very reasonable too. Shame we were leaving the following day, I think we would have gone back again for seconds..

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baggybaghurst
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, always appreciated. We like to think our food is better than your normal "pub grub". We do have a varied menu of which we try to cater for all tastes and dietary requirements including vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free. All our food is cooked fresh to order and is home made so we know exactly what is in all our dishes, hence special requirements are not a problem.

Our bar always has a good atmosphere especially when we have a nice mix of locals, tourists and guests.

We hope to see you again next time you visit Exmoor.

Dursley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Top class food great pub atmosphere went to eat here while staying in the nearby youth hostel. Having been told there was an hours wait for food they found us a table in about 20 minutes. The food was superb I had smoked salmon my partner and daughter the twice cooked cheese soufflé, all excellence as were the mains. The confusion over my main dish order was quickly corrected along with the offer of a free desert. The food and beer (Exmoor Gold) complemented each other perfectly.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, most appreciated. Our pub has a great atmosphere especially when we have a good mix of locals, guests and tourists. Sorry about the mistake with your main course, offering a free desert was the least we could do and thanks for bearing with us.

We hope to see again next time you visit Exmoor.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I wish it was true of the warm welcome from the bar staff, and the bloke who sat on the right hand side of the bar last saturday night, most unfriendlt and condesending as with the barman. The beer, exmoor Gold served ny handpump was delicious and the area was well attended by locals, who didn't smile , didn't get move when in the way, when asked to could get my pint out to be able to drink. Maybe I was just another ruddy tourist in shorts, but manners go a long way!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xto36
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry you didn't receive the service you were expecting. We will look into the matter as we pride ourselves on our friendly atmosphere and very rarely get negative comments with regards this. Glad you enjoyed the beer though, my husband looks after the beer cellar and is very meticulous, so he'll be pleased to hear you enjoyed it.

Exeter
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed the night at a nearby B&B on my wife's birthday and had dinner here. It is a very lively 'locals' pub/hotel and the landlady and staff are very jovial and friendly. The meal was really delicious (compliments to the chef!) and the wine was good.

• Stayed April 2014
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your review and we are pleased you and your wife enjoyed her birthday dinner with us (and the wine of course!). We like to think that being family run makes a difference when it comes to the friendly atmosphere and the relaxed ambience of our hotel and bar.

I will most definitely pass your compliments on to chef and we look forward to seeing you should you visit Exmoor again.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've always spent a lot of time eating and drinking in The Crown on previous trips to Exmoor so it seemed natural to progress to booking a room for my latest stay.

The first thing you notice on arriving at The Crown is the warm and genuine welcome from all the staff.

My room was very comfortable and cosy with an ample en-suite bathroom which included a full size bath as well as a shower, which is ideal for those travelling to Exford with the aim of going hunting or for long rides. There are really thoughtful touches such as including a bottle of water and hot chocolate alongside the more usual teas and coffees. I particularly liked the amazing photographic prints of Exmoor that decorated the room. There is a warm and comfortable guest lounge downstairs with sofas, armchairs where guests can choose to relax with the paper.

The Crown is very much a local pub, so the bar is a real buzzing hub for the village and guests will always find a range of local characters propping up the bar, despite this the rooms remain quiet and I slept like a log all three nights. There are a wide selection of alcoholic beverages and soft drinks on offer. For me of the greatest interest is the wide range of real ales on the pumps including the much acclaimed Exmoor Ale & Exmoor Gold. If you are visiting you should try at least one glass of this nectar!

Breakfast here is cooked fresh to order, so there is no need to feel over-faced by a massive cooked breakfast as guests can choose what they want and how they want it cooked. On offer is sausage, back bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding and fried bread. This is followed by an ample rack of toast with jam and marmalade if desired; a selection of cereals, continental style meats and fruit salads. All this rounded off by tea or coffee and a choice of juices. I would not be exaggerating to say this kept me going for most of the day.

Meals from the restaurant are just as good as breakfast; the biggest problem is trying to choose what to eat as everything looks so tasty and you just know it will be superb. After much hmmmming and hahhhing I eventually opted for the Crown Curry, which was a chicken tikka masala, this is served with rice, naan bread and a poppadom. This was amazing - too often they can be like chicken casserole, but this had just enough punch without blowing your head off. It was a close run thing but I just about managed to squeeze in a pudding. I went for my absolute favourite, crème brulee and only good manners stopped me from licking the dish out with my tongue!

I was truly sad to leave the Crown Hotel behind at the end of my holiday. I can be certain that I will be booking to stay here again sooner rather than later.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ClaireWright
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review it's most appreciated. It was lovely to have you stay with us and we're pleased you enjoyed your visit.

We pride ourselves on our friendliness, food and guest comfort and are always happy when our guests are happy.

We very much look forward to seeing you again.
Somerset
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We looked up this place following a good write up in the Telegraph. We were surprised not to find the place packed on Mothering Sunday but were met with a very warm welcome. We enjoyed our meals very much and would recommend the Crown to others. It's in a pleasant village and the pub has a very pleasant atmosphere with a good choice of beers and wines. We didn't stay so can't comment on the accommodation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reviewermanSomerset
Whitbrides, Owner at The Crown Hotel, Exford, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed your lunch with us. Exmoor is a lovely place to visit and we are very lucky to be in Exford at the heart of the 'moor'. We always like our customers to feel welcome, whether joining us for a meal, drink or staying as a guest.

We hope to see you again.
Best wishes - Sara, Dan & Chris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exford
Exmoor White Horse Inn
#3 of 5 in Lynmouth
Chough's Nest Hotel
Chough's Nest Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton

Been to The Crown Hotel, Exford? Share your experiences!