“What a Find!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Martinhoe
Toronto, Canada
“What a Find!”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We were looking for a peaceful couple days break away from the stresses of everyday life. As we live in Canada I had to rely on internet reviews to locate such a hotel. Huw and Sam have created a very special hotel located in an spectacular part of the country.
Their warm and genuine hospitality extended throughout their staff and Huw's ability in the kitchen was nothing short of exceptional.....at least as good as any Michelin star rated restaurant I've experienced before.
Well done guys a truely unique experience..we will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 598stevew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Quite how we stumbled across 'The Old Rectory' I can't quite recall but be sure of this- we are so happy we did as it is a place we will never forget!

It is truly a wonderful retreat. From the moment we arrived Huw and Sam were such wonderful hosts. Everything from the start to the finish of our stay was magnificent, from the food and the wine to the stunning countryside that was right on the doorstep for us to explore- it was perfect.

The ambience of The Old Rectory' is something we still find ourselves talking about so will not be forgetting this place in a hurry and we will most definitely be returning. We have already begun recommending family and friends as it is an absolute must to put on your places to stay list!

Thank you for such a fantastic stay Huw and Sam and we will be back as soon as we can! Have plenty of Tia Maria ready for Kerry!

Jamie & Kerry X

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie M
New York
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We only stayed one night but it was a lovely stay and we would return:

The hosts are friendly and make you feel welcome and at home.

The property is charming, well cared for and quite clean, both inside and outside.

The food, breakfast and dinner, is delicious. Dinner is served to all guests in the dining room at the same time. You get to mingle with other guests before hand- how much you enjoy this may depend on your personality/mood.

It is a lovely location, quiet and peaceful. At night it is pitch dark outside and you can see a lot of stars.

If you are looking for a relaxing place, this is it. Plenty of nature around you, and opportunities for nice coastal walks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roguewavehi
Norton St. Philip
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I have recently returned from a two night break at the Old Rectory.My 5th visit.

Reasons why I go there?

1,The Old Rectory is a very pleasent house,tastefully furnished with a high standard of housekeeping.There is a pleasent garden with a stream running through it, and if you are lucky you may see a deer or two wandering across the lawn.

2 Situated in the hamlet of Martinhoe it is a wonderful base to walk either the coast path or to explore the beautiful countryside.

3.Mine hosts Huw and Sam and their friendly staff warmly welcome their guests and look after everyone extremely well.

4 I have stayed in three of the bedrooms and all have been spacious, smartly furnished and decorated with well equipped bathrooms.

5 Huw and Sam are excellent cooks.Sam looks after breakfast and offers a wholesome choice.
Although I am strictly just a tea and toast person,the toast is made with extremely good bread. No wrapped butter pats or mass produced preserves here. They make their very own first class marmalade.
Huw cooks an excellent evening meal.Special mention should be made of those delicious little nibbles he creates for pre dinner drinks,and his wonderful soups.

I always look forward to my stays here. I can completely relax and enjoy being well looked after.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

This was our third visit and it was as special as ever. You come away restored in body, mind & spirit. It is a really beautiful place.
If it can be done Huw & Sam will try to do it! It was just very special.
We look forward to visiting many times more.

• Stayed September 2012
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We had such a relaxed, comfortable stay. The staff are just lovely and cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The afternoon tea is a delight and a lovely treat after a day out. Dinner perfect end to a perfect day. Its just so nice. Thank you Sam and Huw we will see you again next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but a suite is a real treat
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 September 2012

In desperate need of a short break to get away from the trials and tribulations of everyday life I discovered this hotel after scoring the internet.
I had to travel alone and was a little worried that I would be made to feel uncomfortable in what was obviously a small intimate hotel. I could not have been more wrong; It was almost like I was visiting old friends rather than staying in an hotel.

My room was large, bright, spotlessly clean, although with a quirky view from one of the smaller windows out over a graveyard perhaps not for those who are scared of a bump in the night!! The food was excellent, varied every evening with a choice from a small selection of starters, mains and deserts more than meeting the needs of all of the guests and all served efficiently and politely by Huw, Sam and the staff.

The location was stunning: I only stayed a few days so did not get the chance to walk the local footpaths, but did get to explore along the cost and into Ilfracombe. As my visit was in September there were no issues with traffic or over crowding in Ilfracombe itself, but if you are planning on going in the very high season be prepared for traffic and parking problems.

As a lover of shellfish I was advised to head off to a rather quirky restaurant in Mortehoe where I had a fantastic lunch and which turned out to be even more idiosyncratic than I expected. (Ask Huw, he will tell you all about it!)

I am using the fact that I was not able to fully enjoy the wine list as an excuse to simply have to return to the hotel with a friend early next year!

Thanks to Huw, Sam and all the staff for a most pleasurable stay; the batteries are re-charged and I can face the world again….

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
Kentisbury Grange
#1 of 20 in Ilfracombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to The Old Rectory Hotel? Share your experiences!