“A lovely place to stay.”
Review of The Hunters Inn

The Hunters Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have visited this pub many times over the years whilst visiting this area and have always intended to come back and stay so when I decided to undertake part of the South West Coast Path walk I just had to organise a stay here and I was not disappointed.
I arrived about 2pm and the pub was quite busy but checking in was not a problem so I enjoyed a pint from their good selection of local beers and was then showed to my room. I had booked a twin room as I intended to be walking with a friend but as I was alone I was given a discount on the agreed price. I came down to the bar in the evening and decided not to eat as I had eaten during the day so I sat and chatted with some locals in the bar and had a good night. The bar person (Linda) was very good and kept my glass well filled.
The room was excellent with a large bathroom and a welcome bath.
Breakfast was very good and although they were busy the service was no problem.
Jen was good enough to keep my bag until I had completed the walk and returned later in the day to have some lunch and collect it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Hunters Inn is in an amazing location, not the easiest of places to get to, but it is a wonderful setting.
We arrived with well behaved dog and just wanted to eat, it was a Monday night so quiet, a few other diners were in the restaurant which has fantastic views of the valley.
This place is let down by the staff,who lack the friendly touch, the lady behind the bar just seemed uninterested, I'm not sure if she was shy, the young waitress (Austrian) was also very shy.
The food was very good, Fish n Chips and a burger were really good, but once the food was on the table, that was it, staff vanished, no one checked if everything was ok, hubby had to go hunting for more relish.
Can't put my finger on this place, which has clearly had money spent on it, but it lacks something, and staff need some basic hospitality training.
Don't know that I would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about the quality of our food.
Unfortunately the young bar lady who was working on the evening of your visit was having an asthma attack and was struggling to breathe and was unable to carry out the table service that she would normally. She called for help soon after your visit and was sent to the doctors.
The young Austrian lady is part way through a hospitality course at college, she is a little shy and she was concerned about her work colleague. I hope that this will not put you off visiting us again.

Kindest regards
David

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stumbled across the Hunters Inn having meandered down a long windy road thought the valley (much easier to get to it from the North - seaward end!). Emerging into the open, the hotel looks like a sun-drenched jewel amidst a valley of green.

We hadn't planned to stay, but after a great lunch of perfectly cooked haddock and home-made chips, we asked and were delighted to find a room looking back up the tranquil valley and the staff did everything they could to look after us.

Our room was lovely, large, with a very comfortable double bed with unbelievably soft cotton sheets. The bathroom was modern with a lovely shower and deep bath - what more could we want?

The hotel is in a simply perfect location, nestled deep within the Heddon Valley; peaceful doesn't do it justice. No mobile phone signal (an advantage for us!) but WiFi is available to guests if the outside world really has to intrude.

There is a lovely easy walk down the rest of the valley to the beach, following the stream as it burbles over the rocks, starting (or finishing - or both depending whether you walk down one side and back up the other, or not) at the bottom of the hotel's lovely gardens.

Dog-friendly, peaceful, surrounded by nature that takes your breath away; we will certainly be back! Thank you for a perfect weekend.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Its not a chain, its privately owned so what it lacks in silly soap in the bathroom is more than made up for by wonderful personal old fashioned service. The food was very good and the portions large. Our room was beatiful, large and very comfortable. The bar area is lovely. The position of the hotel is amazing. We arrived by bicycle and the area is simply stunning. Give the hotel a go - you will be well pleased. One day we will be back

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was our second stay a the hunters and it was lovely. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the setting is simply stunning. The rooms are spacious and very tasteful. Breakfast was delicious and very fresh.
On the whole a great stay with even a smile from Chris the bar man. Thank you all.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were sent here from a nearby hotel for dinner. We wish we had travelled further afield. The food was poor and the waiting staff totally disinterested. The dining room was virtually empty but even a simple salad was on the verge of being inedible soaked in some strange dressing. Even the cheese was minimal and drenched in pickle.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013

What a lovely hotel in a stunning location. We spent a couple of nights here. Staff are all friendly and helpful. We had a dinner on our first night. It was excellent, I had a pie, and my partner had chicken, delicious! Breakfast was good too. If you are after a quiet retreat, come midweek out of season, highly recommended! I must mention the charming lady who looks after the peacocks that they have there, so friendly. Room tip, ask for room 4 which overlooks the gardens, it's a beautiful view.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
The Old Rectory Hotel
#2 of 5 in Lynmouth
Heddon's Gate Hotel
Heddon's Gate Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martinhoe

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!