“A perfect weekend.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A perfect weekend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having just returned from a perfect weekend break at the Exmoor Forest Inn, we were so impressed with our experience that, for the first time ever I have decided to write a review. Huge double bedroom with a bed to match, kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay. Friendly, helpful hosts and staff who all contributed to making our break so very relaxing and enjoyable. The breakfast was excellent and so large that we had to concede defeat on days 2 and 3 by ordering a smaller breakfast. We dined in the bar each evening of our stay and whatever we chose to eat, the meals were excellent, restaurant quality. If you are a beer drinker, the choice of ales is also good and well kept. On top of all that, a splendid location whatever the Exmoor climate delivers. We will be returning to enjoy the experience again before too long.

Room Tip: We selected a superior double with shower, huge room, huge bed and great view of the countryside.
1 Thank david m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

we stopped of for dinner here, on a busy sunday lunch hour, expecting the bog standard sunday lunch.
how wrong we were, the menu, was simple but ample and the staff were pleasant and helpful.
we ordered our food and was amazed at the quality and taste sensation.
my husband chose the beef, while i opted for the Lamb,
sunday lunches do not come much better than this, put simply it was mouth wateringly delicious, my only gripe is that i do not live locally, because i would frequent it on a very regular basis if i did.
excellant food, excellant location, excellant service. quality produce and home cooked to perfection

Room Tip: lovely place, well worth the visit
Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I booked two double rooms for a friend and me. On arrival we were allocated a small room, dated décor, with a shower (room 5) and a slightly bigger room with a bigger better bed, bath and shower attachment (room 2). I took the latter. Trouble was the water flow was so poor the bath took ages to fill and ages for hot water to come through and the low pressure meant the “shower” attachment didn’t work properly. Kneeling in cold water trying to get under a shower attachment that is decidedly temperamental is no fun and, frankly, unacceptable. If there are two of you bathing it is likely to be a long process (the bath also takes an age to empty) and I had to use my friend’s shower to save time- the first time I’ve ever had to do that in any hotel.

I showed the owner who did offer a smaller decidedly less pleasant room with a poor looking pine framed bed (room 1) with a shower as an alternative. I declined. He also offered me a superior room (good bed, decent shower) but told me I’d have to pay for the privilege of having the basics! I declined again.
The double rooms had dog bowls outside - this is because they are “dog friendly” and presumably why the décor is tired. If you want a decent room here best go for a superior. Room 2 has a tiny old TV, no comfortable chair and very little hanging space. Bed side lights were too dim to read. The bed was big but too firm for comfort.

Dinner was very good in the restaurant and beer well kept. Breakfast was decent although the start time of 8.30 seemed a bit late. It’s over by 9.30 so a small window.

Simonsbath is very quiet and a one horse town so this is it, no alternatives. When I return I will locate in Lynton or Lynemouth and travel on to Exmoor not the other way around, that way there will be more eating choices and a choice of decent accommodation. Walking on the moors and around the rivers in August meant having to deal with man eating flies that inflicted unpleasant bites. The coastal walks off the moor are fly free and the views spectacular – good reasons to be by the coast. I would advise the moor more in spring/autumn.

This hotel is OK but needs investment in areas. I can’t see how it could be judged 4 star. Its 3 as far as I am concerned - certainly in parts. Don’t expect a “customer is always right” philosophy from the owner. I’m planning to be back soon to the area but not to The Exmoor Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid dog friendly rooms unless you have a canine friend.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FairPlayerHampshire
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I cannot rate this place highly enough. It is a traditional Inn in a wonderfully remote location with beautiful countryside on the doorstep and hosts who go out of their way to make guests feel at home. The cozy bar is open all day, there is a lovely pub garden and in the evening we enjoyed superb, restaurant quality food but in a relaxed, informal setting.

We had one of the superior rooms on the top floor and it was well worth paying a bit extra for the wonderful views of the moor and the absolutely huge bed. The housekeeping was also excellent with fresh towels and tea / coffee topped up every day.

1 Thank ali3240
Newport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Exmoor Forest Inn this week and we found it to be most welcoming, we had an extremely large double bed, a large room, massive bathroom and was spotlessly clean. The food in the resaurant was excellen and the breakfast set you up for the day. We would recommend this pub to anybody wishing to stay on exmoor.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeterS460
Lydney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here for my 30th on a snowy weekend and had a great time, as we did over a year before. Great food, lovely proprietors, room with a beautiful view and good walking country all around. Kindly even jump started our car for us when a couple of nights below minus 10 took their toll on the battery.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly B
Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Well located in the centre of Exmoor and, although sometimes described as an hotel, this is definitely a pub with B &B. However our room was large and of a good standard. Perhaps it was because we were on our own staying there but the atmosphere was a little cold. Service could have been better also - we had to carry our own bags up two steep flights of stairs. The food in the evening was very good, with us again in splendid isolation. Breakfast was no more than average.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DorsetTravelmad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simonsbath
Simonsbath House
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wootton Courtenay
The Crown Hotel, Exford

Been to Exmoor Forest Inn? Share your experiences!