“classic weekend”
Review of Exmoor Forest Inn

Exmoor Forest Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were a group of 9 couples with classic cars that took over the hotel for 2 days, the owner was there to greet us and give assistance with luggage, the rooms vary in size my room (room 8) was large, spotless & quiet. the food was plentiful and of good quality, the staff were attentive and most helpful
would I stay there again? this was my second stay, so yes without doubt.

Room Tip: go for the upgrade
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were on holiday when we past through.The evening before we had stopped in another village for something to eat and were still hungry when we left. I am not a big eater by the way.My husband is I should add.So not wanting to make the same mistake we thought we'd have a starter here.We shared it.And so glad we did. We ordered pate. The slab of pate and I say slab was lovely.We had so much between us that we asked for more bread.It was delicious.Then came the main.The pie I ordered was enough to feed 3 people and was full to the brim with STEAK and I mean steak.Lovely new potatoes and fresh veg.My husband had a burger.The plate was huge and onion rings were homemade.Lots of salad and chips.Homemade coleslaw to top it all.The burger was homemade and succulent.I tried it myself and usually burgers would be my last choice.I really don't know who envied whose meal most.It was really great value and we paid less here than anywhere else we'd eaten during our holiday.The people who owned it made us feel very welcome.And spoke to us in a really friendly manner.Our dog was allowed to sit anywhere we chose.That made us feel very comfortable as we often are alienated in restaurants for taking him with us.As for their dog.He was very well behaved although he was allowed to run free he didn't interfere with us.And more important than that as I said my husband is a BIG eater. Its the first meal I've seen him defeated with.He had to leave some and not through choice.This place comes highly recommended.And we will return if we ever go to Exmoor again.I have never written a review before but looking at the bad review I felt I needed to voice an opinion on behalf of these lovely people who do nothing but aim to please.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of a group celebrating a friend's 60th birthday. The hotel owner and staff were very helpful and accommodating. We used their private dining room for dinner each night and their private bar for drinks & canapés. Although the bedroom was small (room 5) the facilities were adequate, and the power shower worked well, although the shower cubicle was quite cramped. We found our bed to be a little on the hard side, but I guess it depends on what you're used to at home. Fresh bottled water for all occupants each day was a nice touch. The food is pretty standard pub fare, but well cooked and presented by cheerful staff.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if your room has an en-suite shower, as we understand that not all rooms have this fa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I dropped in for a drink and lunch with three members of my family early one Saturday afternoon in July after a delightful walk. The place was clearly understaffed. It took a long time to place an order. The food was overpriced. The proprietor was stressed. He presented us with a basket containing four small slices of French bread with the words that this was for three of us, which included someone having soup. When I asked him for more, he ignored me. When I repeated my request he lost his temper. He had either run out or was trying to skimp on basics. His conduct was highly unprofessional. He embarrassed me in front of my family and ruined the day. The attitude of the harassed young man behind the bar was little better. A disgrace.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Gerald W
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We had a lovely weekend at the Exmoor Forest Inn. The staff were welcoming, helpful and very friendly and the room was really comfortable (room 2). We enjoyed the food including the lovely breakfast and ended up having all our meals there during our stay. If there are any criticisms to make (and they are small) is that the room only had a bath and I would have much preferred a shower, especially during the wonderful hot weather we had and that the owners dogs wandered around unchecked including during dinner, which unsettled my dog who was eating her beer covered chew under the table. As I say these are small criticisms especially as its so rare to find somewhere where your dog is so readily accepted (especially as she was so grumpy in the heat) and I would go back there just for that. I expect that it wasn't our last stay there, the location is amazing too. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice break away. It's not the Hilton, I wasn't expecting that, its a pub on the moor with the personal touch, fantastic walking, good food and dog friendly. The Morris men were great too!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Witch-Woman27
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife & I recently spent a couple of days in Simonsbath & chose the Exmoor Forest Inn for the overnight stay. It turned out to be a good choice - the hotel really delivered on all fronts. The proprietors were very welcoming & accommodating, & the room was well appointed & very comfortable. The hotel bar was relaxed & friendly - hotel guests & local patrons interacted with ease. I like to think I'm a connoisseur of 'the full English breakfast' & in my book this was up there with the best. I'm sure we'll back there soon.
Stayed July 2013.

Room Tip: Our room (#8) was at the top of the hotel & if stairs posed a difficulty our advice would be to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim E
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a review, because how this hotel has a 4/5 rating I will never know. On arrival nobody answered the door on the hotel side and when we went to the bar the person who showed us to our room offered no help with our bags and was very uncommunicative. Room 1 is tired and although it stated the hot water tap was slow, that was an understatement! Plastic cups in the bathroom, not nice and not changed during our stay. Our first meal was ok, and we had wine, so we also decided to eat there on the Sunday. Half a bottle of wine saved from the previous meal was going off so we added some of our own to make it more palatable. Owners not happy. The grilled gammon was chewy and floating in fat with the black bits from the griddle still on it, so I sent it back. The man we had seen on our arrival (there were no waiting on staff) told me there was nothing wrong with it. I disagreed (I have worked in hotel kitchens) and it transpired that the chef was off duty. My husband also told him that the Thai curry was not good. We were begrudgingly offered us something else,but decided to go elsewhere. From then on the owners could not give us the time of day.We then spent the minimum time in the hotel and when we left there was no help with cases and when we checked the bill we had been charged for the gammon I had returned. What happened to customer service? The notice said no dogs in the dining room but the owner's one wandered in and out all the time during breakfast. We have our own pets, so we are not anti dog.
We have stayed in many hotels/inns on Exmoor over a period of years and despite reading other reviews on this hotel, there are others that charge the same and are FAR SUPERIOR and more welcoming than this one. Trip advisor let us down,WE ALWAYS USE IT TO FIND HOTELS and it is the first time it was at odds with what we found. We are not demanding fussy people we just like good service and a pleasant stay. In this recession hit time the Exmoor Forest will not survive.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1 and don't eat there if the chef is having a night off.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LinDave_13
nickexmoor, Owner at Exmoor Forest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Whilst we do not normally respond to critical reviews apart from naturally taking note of points raised we feel it necessary to do so in this case. To address some of the issues:

The Wine – The guest purchased a bottle of Merlot the day before and had some left over. Red wine will normally be fine the next day. The duty manager working on the night in question noticed the guest leave the bar with the a bottle of Merlot and return with the bottle full, when asked the guest lied and said that he had filled it up with some Malbec purchased from us earlier – we do not sell Malbec and they had purchased no other wine from us.

The Food – The Gammon steak which was supposedly tough was examined both by the chef on duty that night and the duty manager, it was not tough and was easy to cut, as for the Thai curry; this was served to another guest that night and thoroughly enjoyed.
The guests were overheard fighting and swearing to each other to the extent that another diner that night complained to us and almost intervened himself of keep the peace. This same couple also overheard these guests boasting that they had obtained a free meal / course the night before by complaining.

The Room – the review prior to this is from a couple who stayed in the same room.

The Dog – We recently rescued a dog from the RSPCA, at the time of the stay he had been here a matter of days, he was still settling in and learning where he could and could not go, we are happy to say he is now well settled and well trained.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simonsbath
Simonsbath House
Simonsbath House
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath
Exmoor White Horse Inn
The Luttrell Arms
The Luttrell Arms
#2 of 3 in Dunster

Been to Exmoor Forest Inn? Share your experiences!