“October break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Worthing, United Kingdom
“October break”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I decided to have a few days away before winter sets in. As we have had breaks in most of the UK including South Devon but only once in Exmoor area we decided on the Exmoor Forest Inn. The area is truly stunning, the owners of the Inn, staff and dogs were really welcoming. The food was exceptionally good for an Inn and of good proportion. My only complaint was that they ran out of export lager on our last day.
We will be returning next year.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Felixstowe
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just got back from staying here, cannot fault anything, great family run Inn. Food was better than normal Pub Fare, it was excelent, one of the best if not the best Inn's we have stayed at in GB.
This is a great place as a base if you like hiking, there are many footpaths in the area, the car can stay in the car park, we encountered Red Deer twice once only 60Mts ahead of us, something special at this time of year, stag antlers at their best.

Room Tip: Ask for the double upgrade on second floor
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have stayed off and on at The Exmoor Forest Inn over the last 25 years, so I have seen changes, but it remains on old favourite.

I had no hesitation in choosing the Inn for an overnight stay in September, as I knew I would be served an excellent dinner in the bar, be able to have a good night's sleep in a comfortable bedroom, and receive a reliable breakfast. The Inn did not disappoint me with these.

One word of warning though; some dinners are smaller than others, and my pigeon starter, sea trout main course and pudding of a chocolate mousse, while excellent could all have been more generous in size. I do not have a large appetite, but I reckon to be well filled after three courses.

The greatest shame about the Inn is that the residents' sitting room, which was so homely, warm and comfortable under former owners, these days is stark, coldly lit and not at all inviting. An inn in the middle of Exmoor, where one spends exhausting days in the open, really does need a cosseting sitting room where one can talk to other guests or just dose, To be in convivial surroundings I would rather not have to spend my evening on a hard bar chair or have to retire to my bedroom for comfort. Additionally, the dining room, where breakfast is served these days, used to be well furnished, cosy and a pleasure to go in, but it suffers in much the same way as the sitting room, alas. It is for these reasons that I have rated the Inn as average.

Service is friendly and efficient.

I'll stay again.

Tim Newman

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tim N
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Lovely room, décor was lovely and very, very clean. Nice touch with a bottle of water and toiletries in the room. The food was excellent and the breakfast was delicious. Certainly very good value for. A good base and would stay there again without hesitation

Wadebridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I spent just one night here, we wish we could have stayed longer. The staff, restaurant, room was excellent. Will be back one day, we can certainly recommend this Inn. We went for a lovely walk just down the road from the Inn. We walked to Cow castle and up through the woods until we reached Pick Stone farm, then back to the car. The scenery was stunning and our trip to Exmoor was complete when we spotted Deer in the Valley.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Taunton
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was the second year that I have organised a weekend cycling in Exmoor for myself and 11 friends basing ourselves at the Exmoor Forest Inn. We had a great weekend again this year - beer great, food fantastic and staff friendly. Already booked for next year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stopped here for the last night of our walk on the Two Moors Way. The welcome was warm and the room clean and cozy. Rooms were spacious and there was plenty of hot water. Bath robes were a nice touch. The bar and dining area was informal and the food and service very good. Local real ale was on offer and perfectly conditioned! Our host was very accommodating, getting up early to serve us a breakfast and see us on our way. A great location and quite reasonably priced. Walkers genuinely welcome. Very much recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simonsbath
Simonsbath House
#1 of 1 in Wootton Courtenay
Lorna Doone Hotel
Lorna Doone Hotel
#1 of 2 in Porlock

Been to Exmoor Forest Inn? Share your experiences!