“Quite what was expected and less”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was a last minute decision but the only hotel available for two nights. I wanted to be in Exmouth so there was little choice. We do not usually use two? star hotels but needs must. The Cavendish is probably of Victorian origin with much of the original decor. The greeting from the receptionist put us off straight away.( "the rooms's not ready you will have to come back") The room was clean and of good size, the bed comfortable. The 'flat screen' T.V. as in the advert details, was a fourteen inch portable, when I mentioned this at rception I was met with a condecending "oh really I will look into it". nothing changed. The free wi fi in the room, again as advertised, was not available. Breakfast was interesting. The staff were cheerful and polite and efficient. From ordering to serving a full cooked breakfast was timed t a recording breaking one minute. Either they have the fastest chef in the world or ,I suspect ,a very large warming tray. We stuck to cereal and toast and coffee, again served in record time. Having heard a number of residents moan amongst themselves about the quality and temperature of the evening meal, we ate out. We were awakened at 7 am both mornings by the sound of luggage beng dragged across the frontage to be loaded into a waiting coach. Al in all an experience not to be repeated. I would imagine that most of the hotels clientl are of the more mature age group and that the hotel would not be suitable to the more decerning traveler or a fmily with children. The location is ideal, right on the sea front and only a short walk fom the shoppng centre which has a variety of the usual seaside shops and eateries. I pid for what I expected and got less. Fortunately the weather was good and I did what I went for. Would I recommend the hotel ? no Would I use it again? no. Sorry Cavendish Lack lustre,unexciting forgetable.

Room Tip: Don't book a room in this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spiritbird2016

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We've just enjoyed a long weekend at the Cavendish and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful, and my only criticism is that bar prices are rather high. The hotel is situated on the Esplanade with the beach opposite, and it's only a few minutes walk into the town. The bedroom and bathroom were clean and comfortable, and the breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice. And we award our waiter Marius 5 stars for excellent service. So would we visit again - yes indeed we would.

Room Tip: The rooms in the basement are a little noisy with overhead 'footsteps' but it didn't kee...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 11 August 2013

When we booked exmouth with a group non of us had been there before so we wandered if we had done the right thing.we went with KLM TRAVEL CHESTERFIELD whom i had to add as they were a part of making our journey and stay most enjoyable.the hotel is on the esplanade and nothing was to far away,town,harbour and amusements,this made the hotel area nice with people just walking along,.the hotel and,room were well presented with tea/coffee and tv in each room and well furnished the bathroom was clean and the room was cleaned every day.the public area ere clean,the notice board could have been in a better location(reception)not down near the games room,took me a day to see it,the down side was the bar did not open till 5.30 which on a hot day was poor but i did get a drink at the reception not every one would ask so to me they were losing sales.but overall a lovely hotel/staff and location.

Room Tip: room on the reception and lower level are at the back in a purpose built block,modern and quite.then...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank alanrutter21
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've just returned from a week long holiday at the Cavendish in Exmouth, and I give it an excellent rating. The bedroom and bathroom were both spotless, and the housekeeping was faultless. Our waiter for the week was "Marius", and his service was impeccable. On almost every holiday I've been on before, I would usually at some point have to complain about the lipstick on a glass, but not at the Cavendish, where standards of cleanliness were obviously very high. I had a sea-view room, with excellent views across the bay, boats sailed past our window, a mere 50 metres away. Our coach driver for the week was "Philip", a lovely chap, who knew the area and its history like the back of his hand, and he went out of his way to be as helpful as possible.
The food was generally good. I didn't try the fish (like 1959neil, who was rather good at snooker), but the only slight criticism of the entire week, for me, was that I couldn't detect any sherry in the sherry trifle, the bread and butter pudding could have done with being cooked for another half an hour, as it was too mushy, and the coconut sponge was bland, and the custard needed extra sugar. Whilst the standard of housekeeping was excellent, they could do with taping the inner plastic bag to the bin, so that when I put something in the bin, the bag doesn't simply fall inside. Loo roll was nice, better than the stuff I have at home, it was almost a shame to use it. As somebody on a low income, a week away is my only extravagance, but the Alfa coach tour packs a lot in, with visits to lots of popular seaside resorts included.

Room Tip: Must book a sea-view room, to gain maximum benefit from stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank PetticoatLoose
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Do not have fish in this hotel soggy black skin served on cold tomato and full of bones or thick batter with no fish in it don't risk it and also 3 courses in the space of 40 minutes with second rate rooms . Bar is over price but 10 minutes away is a witherspoons better beer and cheaper

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank 1959neil
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel. We found it clean and well looked after,our room 5 over looked the sea (a double) it is as good room with a walk in shower in the bathroom which is very good and a decent size only thing to watch is that the water from the cold tap is hot when it first comes out. The entertainment was limited however the bar manager is a treasure he works really hard and is always pleasant , in fact all the staff are very good. We took a boat trip on our day in resort down the Jurassic coast cost £7.50 for 2 to 3 hrs depending on sea conditions this too was well worth the cost very interesting indeed. The food was good portions of vegetables could have been larger but over all not bad (have had a lot worse). Over all a very good break would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TRIPPERManchester
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just enjoyed a weeks holiday staying at the Cavendish Hotel in Exmouth.Devon, myself and
five friends (all over 60s). We travelled with Alfa Coaches and our experience was a very
good one. The whole strip was well organised and we found the staff at the hotel very friendly
and helpful. We had three excursions included which were well planned by Alfa. There was a
boat company "Stuartline " nearby and we enjoyed two excellent trips out on our free days.
One of these was a journey up the river Exe and then into the canal, going through several locks
which was an experience to remember. The second boat trip was along the Jurasic Coast, that was great too. I would recommend this package, especially to seniors like ourselves.

Room Tip: There are some rooms on the ground floor and lifts to higher floors. I requested disabled facilitie...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Babz1936
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
The Imperial Exmouth Hotel
The Dolphin Hotel Exmouth
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Langstone Cliff Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dawlish

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!