“wonderful 5 day break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Exmouth
Rugby
“wonderful 5 day break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My partner and I have just had a 'tinsel & turkey break at the Cavendish with Alfa coach holidays. We are never disappointed with these holidays and as usual this one was excellent. The restaurant was well run and all meals were served hot and well presented. The menu has a very good selection with meat, fish, salads and vegetarian dishes daily. The festive specials also include 2 lunches, Christmas dinner and a present from Father Christmas. Considering there were 2 full coach loads staying at the hotel everything ran like clockwork. The staff were very friendly and efficient, and the hotel was clean and attractive throughout. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. As usual though with these old hotels the floors do creak and the walls between rooms are thin, but don't let this put you off. This is our 6th festive break and we will certainly be doing them again. There are steps up to the front door so anyone with walking problems might need assistance. Around the hotel is very flat and not too far to walk into town.

Room Tip: Sea views are at the front and there isn't much traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank harold55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our party of 8 have just returned from the Cavendish after the Best Turkey And Tinsell break we have had so far,(this was our fifth year). Everybody seemed to go out of their way to give all the guests a goodtime.Lisa the manager,and all the Diningroom staff deserve a special mention as nothing seemed too much trouble to them. It was good from start to finish .We traveled by Alfa coach and our driver, Brian, was Just the Best.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms turn Holidays from good to Excellent.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Frank H
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

my wife and I have just spent 4 nights at this 2 star hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is handily situated right on the esplanade with many rooms having sea views. The town shops are easily walked to and there is a small park nearby. Our room was large enough and comfortable and was very clean. The dining room was nicely decorated if slightly cramped due to the fixed meal times. The food was good and we always found a choice that suited us. The staff were all helpful and our waitress was excellent considering how busy she was.
All in all, this was a very good holiday for theprice we paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Peter L
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was a last minute decision but the only hotel available for two nights. I wanted to be in Exmouth so there was little choice. We do not usually use two? star hotels but needs must. The Cavendish is probably of Victorian origin with much of the original decor. The greeting from the receptionist put us off straight away.( "the rooms's not ready you will have to come back") The room was clean and of good size, the bed comfortable. The 'flat screen' T.V. as in the advert details, was a fourteen inch portable, when I mentioned this at rception I was met with a condecending "oh really I will look into it". nothing changed. The free wi fi in the room, again as advertised, was not available. Breakfast was interesting. The staff were cheerful and polite and efficient. From ordering to serving a full cooked breakfast was timed t a recording breaking one minute. Either they have the fastest chef in the world or ,I suspect ,a very large warming tray. We stuck to cereal and toast and coffee, again served in record time. Having heard a number of residents moan amongst themselves about the quality and temperature of the evening meal, we ate out. We were awakened at 7 am both mornings by the sound of luggage beng dragged across the frontage to be loaded into a waiting coach. Al in all an experience not to be repeated. I would imagine that most of the hotels clientl are of the more mature age group and that the hotel would not be suitable to the more decerning traveler or a fmily with children. The location is ideal, right on the sea front and only a short walk fom the shoppng centre which has a variety of the usual seaside shops and eateries. I pid for what I expected and got less. Fortunately the weather was good and I did what I went for. Would I recommend the hotel ? no Would I use it again? no. Sorry Cavendish Lack lustre,unexciting forgetable.

Room Tip: Don't book a room in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spiritbird2016
St Ives, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We've just enjoyed a long weekend at the Cavendish and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful, and my only criticism is that bar prices are rather high. The hotel is situated on the Esplanade with the beach opposite, and it's only a few minutes walk into the town. The bedroom and bathroom were clean and comfortable, and the breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice. And we award our waiter Marius 5 stars for excellent service. So would we visit again - yes indeed we would.

Room Tip: The rooms in the basement are a little noisy with overhead 'footsteps' but it didn't kee...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karen S
Alfreton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

When we booked exmouth with a group non of us had been there before so we wandered if we had done the right thing.we went with KLM TRAVEL CHESTERFIELD whom i had to add as they were a part of making our journey and stay most enjoyable.the hotel is on the esplanade and nothing was to far away,town,harbour and amusements,this made the hotel area nice with people just walking along,.the hotel and,room were well presented with tea/coffee and tv in each room and well furnished the bathroom was clean and the room was cleaned every day.the public area ere clean,the notice board could have been in a better location(reception)not down near the games room,took me a day to see it,the down side was the bar did not open till 5.30 which on a hot day was poor but i did get a drink at the reception not every one would ask so to me they were losing sales.but overall a lovely hotel/staff and location.

Room Tip: room on the reception and lower level are at the back in a purpose built block,modern and quite.then...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank alanrutter21
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've just returned from a week long holiday at the Cavendish in Exmouth, and I give it an excellent rating. The bedroom and bathroom were both spotless, and the housekeeping was faultless. Our waiter for the week was "Marius", and his service was impeccable. On almost every holiday I've been on before, I would usually at some point have to complain about the lipstick on a glass, but not at the Cavendish, where standards of cleanliness were obviously very high. I had a sea-view room, with excellent views across the bay, boats sailed past our window, a mere 50 metres away. Our coach driver for the week was "Philip", a lovely chap, who knew the area and its history like the back of his hand, and he went out of his way to be as helpful as possible.
The food was generally good. I didn't try the fish (like 1959neil, who was rather good at snooker), but the only slight criticism of the entire week, for me, was that I couldn't detect any sherry in the sherry trifle, the bread and butter pudding could have done with being cooked for another half an hour, as it was too mushy, and the coconut sponge was bland, and the custard needed extra sugar. Whilst the standard of housekeeping was excellent, they could do with taping the inner plastic bag to the bin, so that when I put something in the bin, the bag doesn't simply fall inside. Loo roll was nice, better than the stuff I have at home, it was almost a shame to use it. As somebody on a low income, a week away is my only extravagance, but the Alfa coach tour packs a lot in, with visits to lots of popular seaside resorts included.

Room Tip: Must book a sea-view room, to gain maximum benefit from stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank PetticoatLoose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Premier Inn Exmouth Seafront Hotel
The Dolphin Hotel Exmouth
The Regina Hotel
The Regina Hotel
#61 of 89 in Torquay

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!