“Never Again!!!!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reading
“Never Again!!!!”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Got there late as the traffic was bad and the only good thing they did all holiday was save us a salad from dinner for when we got there. Let me just add the ONLY good thing!!!

I'll start with the room. When you can fid it! The place is so huge and they don't help you find your room or give you a guide or anything. It was disgusting. Our carpet was like mountains a complete health and safety risk! Our shower didn't work properly it either burnt us alive or made you into an ice cube and defiantly don't let anyone touch the toilet when you have the water at the right temperature! We had a funny mark on our ceiling which looked like someone had fallen through it!! At 6am every morning a delivery lorry would start unloading things and wake us up. We had a back room and it backed onto houses so it was ver noisy. The room was smelly and very hot! There was a crack all the way along the skirting boards! There was rust near all the metal in the bathroom.

The staff where we had lunch and dinner were very rude! We came down to breakfast at 8:50 one morning and we were denied breakfast when it didn't finish until 9. Also if you want a layin I wouldn't stay at this hotel the breakfast is 8-9. We only had 1 dinner apart from the salad as we did a lot of exploring and I'm glad I only had that dinner. I had a vegetable lasagne and it was foul there was no taste and far too many potatoe products on the plate and not enough vegetables. It was also tiny portion.

Parking the spaces are tiny. Don't waste your money spending £5 a day for parking te prom has parking between 1800-0900 free I wish I had done that as its a lot nicer!

All in all I did not enjoy my stay at the grand and will be taking these complaints further along with my photographic eviedence. I will be asking for my money back and if I don't get my money backi will take it further still.

5 Thank TravellingSkoda
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry the hotel did not meet with your expections, since your visit we have had new signage throughout the hotel and we have refurbished the Drakes entertainment Suite. we do have a refurbishment plan in place and we are making great progress towards this.
We do offer help with luggage and finding your room and i feel sure if you would have asked we would have been only too happy to oblige.
Kenny.
General Manager.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
bristol
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have just returned from a3-4-2 break at this hotel ,Having stayed in at least 2 other hotels in this group I really don`t know why I bothered,!! I think hans christian anderson writes the brochure speil.our bathroom (ha-ha)was so minute we could sit on the loo and wash our hands at the same time ,shower ?oh yes over a bath but at 6FT 1. there wasn`t enough room for my husband (disabled) to swing his leg over the bath to get in ,so 3 days NO shower, we had to walk sideways to get past the first bed to actually get in the room,but we both couldnt move at the same time , my bed was even more tired than me .YES.I did mention my husband was mobility impaired when I booked .I won`t even mention the food ,terrible,How are they getting away with it ?the lift ?was a death trap so antiquated it must be nearly 100 yrs old,and if the last person using it didn`t close both shutters correctly it wouldn`t work ,Oh ,did I mention the dining room was in the cellar ,down a flight of steep stairs which niether of us could use.so we had to yell down for someone to secure the lift door.it`s a shame really because the staff are doing stirling work ,helpful friendly ,nothing too much trouble ,only to be let down by the apparant disinterest from head office re;its clients, I say this as I have complained before ,and got nowhere as my heading says nothing changes.I had informed them at the time of booking of all our problems and that I was bringing my husbands mobility scooter ,they rang the DAY before to tell me there wasn`t any way to get it in the hotel!!!! and that there were more steps to our room !!!! Bank hol. wkend ,daughters birthday ,so too late to do anything,still we had an incredible meal at MICHEALS in Exmouth and our familys company at least that wasn`t spoilt for us ,but shearings shame on you .

Room Tip: this hotel is totally unsuitable for anyone with any disability.or if you must have a shower, they a...
6 Thank piscesBristol
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We feel that when put into perspective what is paid and the service that is received; we feel it is good value for money.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

book a three night stay at the grand couldent fine are room the room number was on the floor they had not bothered to put it back on the door
when entering the room had to turn the light on it was so dark in there.
the window had frosted inlay because the view was so bad couldent open the window it was dark and dingy and smelt
asked if we could move rooms was told they were fully booked and so was the impearial.
receptionist didnt care that we had traveled three hours for are holiday
he just said have your money back (which i havent receved yet) we had to travel home again thanks for nothing will never use sherrings again

Room Tip: check the rooms first
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank barry r
We are sorry that the hotel was not suited to your needs. If we had other rooms available they would have been offered to you. A Full refund was given at reception, there may have been a delay in receiving the refund due to the bank holiday. The numbers are not on the doors as we are in the process of replacing them all with new ones.

Kenny, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Exmouth hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Have just returned from 4nights self drive holiday with my mother. Hotel is in superb position , yards from sandy beach with fabulous views from the front facing twin room which I had booked for just £5 per night extra. Well worth it for the view. Unfortunately Room 42 door is opposite the door to the very old fashioned and very loud cage lift. This proved to be the only downside to the holiday and we were woken each morning by inconsiderate guests using the lift at 5am each morning.Perhaps management should request this lift is not used between the hours of 11am-7pm so as not to disturb guests in adjacent rooms.
Food could not be faulted and although not 5 star was more than above expectations for the cost of the holiday. Three choices for each course at dinner and very good vegetables served with main course. Perfectly adequate unless you have a rather large appetite. Breakfast choice was also excellent with good quality bacon and sausage.
Our Spanish waitress Palermo was an absolute delight with her beautiful smile and attentive service. Courses on the first night were served a little too quickly for our taste but we asked her to give us a few minutes between each course and this she did at each of the following meal times. Although this was her first week and she was hoping to improve her spoken English she was an excellent ambassador for the company and her customer service skills were excellent.
I would moist definately recommend this hotel with the proviso of paying the extra for a upgraded room as we understood from other guests that some of the rooms at the back of the hotel were well below standard.
All in all excellent value for money and ideal situation on a long flat promenade.

Room Tip: Sea View and Superior Rooms well worth the extra and request to be in a room away from the lift from...
2 Thank muckybucket
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a lovely review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your nice comment to Paloma. Hope to see you again in the future.

Lincoln UK
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Well, to be honest, much as I expected. The staff were very friendly, had one small issue which Kenny the manager resolved, and as I say very helpful staff. The restaurant is on quite a low level, where the servants and kitchen would have been 100 years ago, and depending where your table is, not really a good place for eating. Found the food a bit bland, and basic. Best meal breakfast., had to keep asking the waitress for extra milk as this is served in silly little jugs. The lift is a museum piece and really needs replacing, overall as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The only downside really as far as the room itself was concerned, could have done with a showerhead for the bath, the wife had a lot of trouble washing her hair.Very impressed with Shearings as a company, they are pretty well organised.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a sea view
3 Thank charlesdickens2
We are glad you found the staff friendly and helpful. When an issue is brought to us we try to resolve it to the best of our abilities. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope you will continue using Shearings Holidays.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have just returned from a 7 day self-drive holiday at the Grand Hotel Exmouth and I feel compelled to write regarding the excellent service we have had from the staff. From the initial contact by phone we found them to be exceptionally helpful and friendly.

Over the years we have visited numerous hotels and have found this experience by far the best as far as the staff are concerned, however there is one member of staff who deserves a special mention, it is that of our waitress Laura. Laura is such a gem, worth her weight in gold, each day we looked forward to seeing her smiling friendly face. She is by far the best waitress we have come across, she is friendly, always smiling, very attentive and very quick and efficient at her job, and nothing is too much trouble. She is an excellent ambassador for the company.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The food was very good. This hotel is an excellent base for touring the area or just having a relaxing break,

4 Thank Susan B
Thank you for your review. We are lucky to have an excellent team of staff here, who work hard and that their efforts do not go unnoticed. We will pass only your comments to Laura. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

solihull
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Just back from two holidays (Self drive with Shearings).The first at the Grand Exmouth.we have been a few times before,but this time was much better.The room we had had been refurbished and was fine.The staff where undoubtedly enjoying their work.Our waitress was like a ray of sunshine in the mornings,she made us feel very welcombe and was very efficient,an asset to the the hotel.The menu was not large but fine for us,also the food was good.To all of the staff "well done".Will stay again.

Room Tip: Parking is a little short so pay for a space when you book the hotel.
1 Thank ronSolihull
Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We have a good team here, who work hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It’s nice to see that their efforts are recognized. There is a continual program of refurbishment, and we strive to improve where we can. Hope to see you again in the near future.